Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: 71 dB on January 17, 2016, 11:01:57 AM
Oh? The Violin Concerto has been a disappointment to me, but maybe I get it's greatness someday...

Which recording?

71 dB

Quote from: Daverz on January 17, 2016, 11:06:30 AM
Which recording?

Grubert/Yablonsky/Naxos

Should not be a bad performance. I just think Weinberg isn't very original with this work. It sounds as if the concerto is a prisoner of the solo violin and the orchestra (what orchestra plays) seems a bit tame.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

I'm also not very fond of Weinberg's Violin Concerto. Not a very memorable work and certainly not one of his better compositions IMHO.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2016, 11:34:49 AM
I'm also not very fond of Weinberg's Violin Concerto. Not a very memorable work and certainly not one of his better compositions IMHO.

I'm not saying the Violin Concerto is a bad composition. It's good and Adagio has got the Weinbergian feel and mood, but yes, I have heard more striking works by him.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 17, 2016, 12:10:53 PM
I'm not saying the Violin Concerto is a bad composition. It's good and Adagio has got the Weinbergian feel and mood, but yes, I have heard more striking works by him.

Hmmm...I don't recall you saying it was a bad composition. I believe I was the one who remarked it wasn't a particularly strong work.

relm1

Quote from: PaulR on December 15, 2015, 05:39:42 PM
Just curious, does anyone have the new DVD of The Passenger? I am curious about it, it seems to be the same production as the blu ray.  Is this the case, or is it worth buying a 2nd version?

It is excellent.  Very moving and powerful work with excellent acting.  I could imagine it making quite an impact seeing it live.

amw

Quote from: 71 dB on January 16, 2016, 09:30:13 AMConcertos maybe aren't Weinberg's strongest are (?).
The Cello and Trumpet Concertos are the main exceptions I think, both quite strong works (in different ways)

71 dB

Quote from: amw on January 17, 2016, 02:58:31 PM
The Cello and Trumpet Concertos are the main exceptions I think, both quite strong works (in different ways)

Well, I haven't heard those two works yet.  0:)

Daverz

Quote from: 71 dB on January 17, 2016, 11:28:22 AM
Grubert/Yablonsky/Naxos

Should not be a bad performance. I just think Weinberg isn't very original with this work. It sounds as if the concerto is a prisoner of the solo violin and the orchestra (what orchestra plays) seems a bit tame.

That's an OK performance.  But an performance doesn't have to be bad to fail to connect.  You're description of the music is definitely not what I hear in the Kogan recording.

[asin]B00YCAU3HY[/asin]

It's on the streaming services, as well.

71 dB

Quote from: Daverz on January 19, 2016, 09:07:02 AM
It's on the streaming services, as well.

True. I listened to it on Spotify. Much faster.

Scion7

Well, Shostakovich wasn't always spot-on with his concertos, either - the Cello concertos are very good, his violin concertos tend to meander.  They aren't bad, but they aren't his greatest works.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

71 dB

Listening to this:

[asin]http://B002K3GP2C[/asin]

Superb stuff!  0:) Weinberg seems to shine in chamber music. Good sound, great playing. Recommended dics!

Wieland

Over the weekend I listened to this for the first time. The more I get acquainted with his last compositions the more I believe that he is one of the greatest composer of the 20th century.

[asin]B00P2U7CYU[/asin]

André

vandermolen

Quote from: Wieland on April 05, 2016, 04:10:48 AM
Over the weekend I listened to this for the first time. The more I get acquainted with his last compositions the more I believe that he is one of the greatest composer of the 20th century.

[asin]B00P2U7CYU[/asin]
I'm inclined to agree although I don't know the chamber symphonies. Symphony 5 is my favourite work of those I know.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Been doing some viola early-morning listening.
This stuff is very good - unaccompanied non-piano pieces of this length - yet still maintaining interest - is not an easy thing to pull off.
Where was this guy all these years?

[asin]B00365QSFM[/asin]

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on February 20, 2016, 08:20:46 AM
Listening to this:

[asin]http://B002K3GP2C[/asin]

Superb stuff!  0:) Weinberg seems to shine in chamber music. Good sound, great playing. Recommended dics!
I totally agree.

vandermolen

Tempted by this. Any views on it?
Symphony 22 was the last one, orchestrated by someone else after the composer's death.
[asin]B0176N4C48[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2016, 11:34:49 AM

I would like to agree to disagree. In my opinion the Violin concerto is one of the best works Weinberg wrote.
Always to remember that liking or disliking is a personal choice, and does not say anything about the musical quality of the work.
Do not condemn a work to "certainly not one of his best compositions" on the basis of a personal like or dislike.
Reading the score tells me that this composition is as carefully written as any of his other works. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

jlaurson

I agree with Harry re: Violin Concerto. Apart from my difference in opinion (I think it's a really, really good work), also with regards to my high opinion (or your low one) not in-and-of-itself making it either great or not great. That's probably where consensus is more useful (or maybe, though not to my taste, a musicological analysis)... and the consensus is that it's not shabby.

Speaking of Weinberg -- a review (in German) about the new set of solo violin sonatas.

http://www.swr.de/swr2/musik/cd-tipps/weinberg-sonaten-fuer-violine-solo-roth/-/id=12628344/did=17593596/nid=12628344/1bdix37/index.html

Quote from: Scion7 on June 14, 2016, 10:51:25 PM
Been doing some viola early-morning listening.
This stuff is very good - unaccompanied non-piano pieces of this length - yet still maintaining interest - is not an easy thing to pull off.
Where was this guy all these years?

Great stuff, huh! Here's an essay/portrait on that disc, if you are interested:
Through Labor and Love: Weinberg, War and Persecution

Interview with Julia Rebekka Adler