Author Topic: J.S. Bach on the Organ  (Read 637840 times)

Offline Selig

Re: J.S. Bach on the Organ
« Reply #3280 on: August 16, 2021, 06:16:04 AM »
I think this (Martin Souter) is an excellent Leipzig Chorales, clear and languid playing on a beautiful organ.

I will happily include this on the list.

He never recorded the complete Leipzig chorales, but what we have from Piet Wiersma (around half of them I think) is of course exceptional.

In my previous Bach chunk "journeys", Wiersma has been a standout, for example in the trio sonatas. But this time it's only 6/18 recorded :( (Unless there are more Wiersma recordings out there than I realize.) Maybe the most incomplete chunk of his cycle.

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #3281 on: August 16, 2021, 09:56:27 AM »
And maybe Leo van Doeselaar even more. I consider him to be the greatest living exponent of the Dutch style.

Leo van Doeselaar is interesting, when you watch him he makes lots of movements as if he is working very hard (while a lot of organists dislike that and there's the idea that you should sit still as much as possible at the console, I don't find it an issue) but his musical style isn't as radical or flamboyant as that would suggest.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #3282 on: August 16, 2021, 01:33:41 PM »
Leo van Doeselaar is interesting, when you watch him he makes lots of movements as if he is working very hard (while a lot of organists dislike that and there's the idea that you should sit still as much as possible at the console, I don't find it an issue) but his musical style isn't as radical or flamboyant as that would suggest.

I use to call his style titanic, rather than flamboyant. There is something extremely forceful and energetic but still very disciplined about his Bach playing , no matter how he sits at the console.

I suppose, you know this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj5KzWtY3IY

as well as his Bach recordings from Alkmaar.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

• Veteran member
« Reply #3283 on: August 16, 2021, 02:20:28 PM »
I will happily include this on the list.

Considering Souter, I found him a bit sweet.

I own Helga Schauerte's Leipzig chorales, but haven't listened to them yet, the same as to  Jörg Halubek. Generally I find Schauerte's Bach interesting.

As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #3284 on: August 17, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
Considering Souter, I found him a bit sweet.

I own Helga Schauerte's Leipzig chorales, but haven't listened to them yet, the same as to  Jörg Halubek. Generally I find Schauerte's Bach interesting.

Schauerte's BWV 542 is quite interesting, the organ she plays it on is in quite a meanish tuning so there are some very naughty dissonances in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCNth6aR5U

Offline Selig

« Reply #3285 on: August 18, 2021, 09:37:55 PM »
Schauerte's BWV 542 is quite interesting, the organ she plays it on is in quite a meanish tuning so there are some very naughty dissonances in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCNth6aR5U

Coincidentally I heard this organ for the first time yesterday, when looking up recordings by Andreas Liebig. He plays BWV 648 & 733 there, and a nice obscurity, this ricercar by Carolus Luython: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzu8h_NRb2k

Offline Selig

« Reply #3286 on: November 11, 2021, 08:17:00 AM »

Offline Selig

« Reply #3287 on: December 02, 2021, 04:04:04 PM »
Hubert Meister 1 CD for Motette on the Silbermann organs in Grosshartmannsdorf and Forchheim (contains the triosonates).

Going to order this, and I'm considering the other trio sonatas recording which is also available on Motette, by Wolfgang Baumgratz. Can you comment on it, if you know it?

• Veteran member
« Reply #3288 on: December 02, 2021, 04:18:58 PM »
Going to order this, and I'm considering the other trio sonatas recording which is also available on Motette, by Wolfgang Baumgratz. Can you comment on it, if you know it?

I don't know Wolfgang Baumgratz' triosonatas. But Hubert Meister's triosonatas - likewise on Motette - on Silbermann organs is very worthwhile.