Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde

Started by Steve, May 02, 2007, 09:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atardecer

I've been listening to various versions of this work lately - Klemperer, Bernstein, Walter, Haitink. I hear things I like in all of those but for me the version I own which I first heard stands up well - Merriman/Haefliger/Jochum. I think the it is still my preference. I like the energy in it and the tempo choices. He brings to the work a good mixture of spritely energy and gravitas.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

relm1

My favorite is Bruno Walter/NY Phil.  Have you heard that one?  The recording is old, maybe from the 1950's but the interpretation is very atmospheric. 

atardecer

Quote from: relm1 on October 19, 2023, 05:50:37 AMMy favorite is Bruno Walter/NY Phil.  Have you heard that one?  The recording is old, maybe from the 1950's but the interpretation is very atmospheric. 

Yes, you're right, its excellent.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

San Antone

My favorite version, the Schoenberg chamber arrangement, and this recording:

The new erato

My favourite Mahler work and one of my favvourites ever. I have heard the Scheonberg versieon live in a small Norwegian church and was very impreesed, but have never since heard it.

My 3 favorites are: Klemperer, Walter, Haitink.

Leo K.

Revisiting Mahler's "Das Lied Von Der Erde" with Julius Patzak and Kathleen Ferrier, conducted by Bruno Walter, was an incredible experience for me today.  I hadn't previously appreciated what others had praised about this recording. I had, at times, considered it overrated. But today, that perception changed drastically.

What truly struck me about this recording is not only the superb quality of the performance but also the remarkable quality of the voices. Both Patzak and Ferrier displayed a wealth of nuances in their singing, creating a musical experience that is simply enchanting. The Vienna Philharmonic, particularly the winds, became like additional voices, and the strings vivid execution added an extra layer of depth to the music, lending the orchestra a remarkable bite and vivid colors that enhanced the overall sonic tapestry.

I now agree Kathleen Ferrier's dark contralto voice and Bruno Walter's deep Mahlerian sensibility complement each other perfectly, making their collaboration truly remarkable. The true contralto voice is something truly marvelous to listen to. Kathleen Ferrier's rendition is akin to melted chocolate—dark, deep, and incredibly rich. Contraltos are indeed a rarity, making them the most uncommon voice type to possess. It's a voice that carries a unique depth and resonance, and when channeled by a talent like Ferrier, it becomes a true gem in the world of music. Her contralto is a testament to the unparalleled beauty and emotional depth that this voice type can offer.

I was taken aback by how great this recording is, and I'm grateful that I chose to revisit it today. This experience serves as a reminder of the timeless magic that music can create and how it can transport us to a different time and place, even when the recording itself dates back to 1952.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Leo K. on November 07, 2023, 11:18:16 AMRevisiting Mahler's "Das Lied Von Der Erde" with Julius Patzak and Kathleen Ferrier, conducted by Bruno Walter, was an incredible experience for me today.  I hadn't previously appreciated what others had praised about this recording. I had, at times, considered it overrated. But today, that perception changed drastically.

What truly struck me about this recording is not only the superb quality of the performance but also the remarkable quality of the voices. Both Patzak and Ferrier displayed a wealth of nuances in their singing, creating a musical experience that is simply enchanting. The Vienna Philharmonic, particularly the winds, became like additional voices, and the strings vivid execution added an extra layer of depth to the music, lending the orchestra a remarkable bite and vivid colors that enhanced the overall sonic tapestry.

I now agree Kathleen Ferrier's dark contralto voice and Bruno Walter's deep Mahlerian sensibility complement each other perfectly, making their collaboration truly remarkable. The true contralto voice is something truly marvelous to listen to. Kathleen Ferrier's rendition is akin to melted chocolate—dark, deep, and incredibly rich. Contraltos are indeed a rarity, making them the most uncommon voice type to possess. It's a voice that carries a unique depth and resonance, and when channeled by a talent like Ferrier, it becomes a true gem in the world of music. Her contralto is a testament to the unparalleled beauty and emotional depth that this voice type can offer.

I was taken aback by how great this recording is, and I'm grateful that I chose to revisit it today. This experience serves as a reminder of the timeless magic that music can create and how it can transport us to a different time and place, even when the recording itself dates back to 1952.
I have some recordings of her--LP recitals (I think only on LP?); however, I'll double-check to see if I own this one.  Yes, her voice was quite special and uncommon.  I remember reading some stories about (if I'm recalling correctly) that she was still performing though suffering from breast cancer and performed during WWII for the troops?  Sorry, but it's been a while since I've read about her life.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter