Favorite Recording of Shostakovich's 10th String Quartet?

Started by DavidW, November 09, 2023, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

This is a magnificent, tragic work.  The adagio tugs at your heart strings.  Which is your favorite recording?

brewski

Quote from: DavidW on November 09, 2023, 02:51:31 PMThis is a magnificent, tragic work.  The adagio tugs at your heart strings.  Which is your favorite recording?

IIRC, I've heard the Borodin, Emerson, and Fitzwilliam recordings, and recall liking all three. But your query has prompted me to give a listen and perhaps come up with a first choice. It's been awhile since I've heard No. 10.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

George

I have Danel and two different Borodin recordings. I'll check them this weekend.

I'll guess that Borodin I (Chandos) is my fave.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Atriod

DavidW

Quote from: Atriod on November 10, 2023, 07:10:35 AMSt. Petersburg Quartet

My introduction to the piece!  I keep waiting for that part of the Hyperion catalog to appear on streaming.  At least I can stream Danel (never heard before).

Atriod

Quote from: DavidW on November 10, 2023, 08:55:13 AMMy introduction to the piece!  I keep waiting for that part of the Hyperion catalog to appear on streaming.  At least I can stream Danel (never heard before).

I have the prior Danel reissue on Alpha. I've never liked this cycle, like Mandelring it sounds too unidiomatic, gentle.

St. Petersburg have replaced Borodin's first cycle as my overall favorite. Incredibly dark, gritty when called for.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks for mentioning the St. Petersburg Quartet.  I hadn't heard of them before (I have the Fitzwilliam's set and also (though incomplete) the earlier Borodin one.  Currently enjoying listening to No. 8 (via youtube).  :) Haunting, strident, poignant....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Second movement is like the second movement of the 10th symphony - portrait of Stalin maybe.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Steinway D

I'm partial to the 1970s Borodin recording (for the entire cycle).

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on November 10, 2023, 08:55:13 AMMy introduction to the piece!  I keep waiting for that part of the Hyperion catalog to appear on streaming.  At least I can stream Danel (never heard before).

Actually their (St. Peterson Q) whole cycle is available to stream now...

Irons

Quote from: DavidW on November 09, 2023, 02:51:31 PMThis is a magnificent, tragic work.  The adagio tugs at your heart strings.  Which is your favorite recording?

Threads like this serve a most useful purpose as they encourage us collectively to listen to a work. DSCH 10th SQ will be on my TT/CD player this evening.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Scion7

Compare the (authentic with communication between them and D.S. about the recording) Fitzwilliam with the lush, almost 'romantic' take on this by the Éder Quartet.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 18, 2023, 06:07:40 AMHow did it go down?  :)

PD

Very well. Hold onto your socks in the second movement! The finale is like an invitation to the DSCH madhouse.
Fabulous sonics.