Author Topic: Bach on the piano  (Read 226571 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Bach on the piano
« Reply #1040 on: June 02, 2022, 06:43:58 PM »

Attention everyone, something interesting’s going on in this one. The counterpoint is almost non-chordal.  The tempos and the approach to pulse makes me think of Chorzempa. At times reflective, introspective. Focussing on 883 and 884.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 04:50:13 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1041 on: June 04, 2022, 03:19:06 AM »

Attention everyone, something interesting’s going on in this one. The counterpoint is almost non-chordal.  The tempos and the approach to pulse makes me think of Chorzempa. At times reflective, introspective. Focussing on 883 and 884.

Yes thanks. It’s worth it to spend a lot of time with these. It’s serious and mature music-making. I’d like to compare this to Demus.
ETA: I would offer the E flat major and D sharp minor sets as good examples of Hill's soft unassuming sensibility. Here has a very light touch and minimal agocics. The E flat fugue, I think, as well as the D sharp minor prelude and fugue can be played sinisterly or ominously. But there's no portent in Hill's rendering; his music is more like whispering in the night. The more I listen to Hill the more I like it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:39:23 PM by milk »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1042 on: June 13, 2022, 08:37:35 AM »

I think it was released a couple of months ago but it has only just found its way streaming. The thing opens with the G major partita  - I don’t have access to a booklet so I can’t say anything about how Sermeus arrived at the performance, which is certainly embellished without being particularly rich in terms of affekts. Sermius is certainly aware of the counterpoint and that aspect comes across well in the Sarabande. There are piano techniques I’ve never heard before. Something I found on line said that he’s been studying baroque piano specifically for 4 years - I’d say that study has got results.

It’s interesting to compare this with the only other old piano performance I have - Genzoh Takehisa. I believe that Sermius is superior in every way - especially from the point of view of naturalness, Sermius’s interventions seem to flow with, rather than against, the music.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to hearing the rest of this interesting release. Important release in a way.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 08:46:47 AM by Mandryka »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1043 on: June 13, 2022, 09:53:07 PM »

I think it was released a couple of months ago but it has only just found its way streaming. The thing opens with the G major partita  - I don’t have access to a booklet so I can’t say anything about how Sermeus arrived at the performance, which is certainly embellished without being particularly rich in terms of affekts. Sermius is certainly aware of the counterpoint and that aspect comes across well in the Sarabande. There are piano techniques I’ve never heard before. Something I found on line said that he’s been studying baroque piano specifically for 4 years - I’d say that study has got results.

It’s interesting to compare this with the only other old piano performance I have - Genzoh Takehisa. I believe that Sermius is superior in every way - especially from the point of view of naturalness, Sermius’s interventions seem to flow with, rather than against, the music.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to hearing the rest of this interesting release. Important release in a way.
Wow! Well I’ll have to listen today. Takehisa is entertaining but I don’t return to it much perhaps because of something you hint at. He’s very creative but I don’t fully connect. Also, Takehisa’s presentation on his recordings (his alternative way of organizing the preludes and fugues) annoys me.
I’m looking forward to this. BTW: I’ve been spending a lot of time with Peter Hill. I think Hill’s soft approach might not appeal to some people but I like it. Today I listened to other new ones on piano: Rangel (WTC bk 2) and Marcel Worms (WTC 2). Both are jarring next to Hill. I feel like I should give more time to Rangel but Worms plays a strangely ugly-sounding piano. Piano is a percussion instrument but percussive playing tends to give me a headache.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1044 on: June 16, 2022, 09:27:56 AM »

Just as an example of agreeable music, sweet and relaxing and engaging piano, modest and unimposing,  I think this is a delightful example. It was enthusiastically recommended to me by a pianist years ago and I can see why.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:30:47 AM by Mandryka »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1045 on: June 16, 2022, 09:38:47 AM »

Just as an example of agreeable music, sweet and relaxing and engaging piano, modest and unimposing.

Precisely, but toothless in the long run. I miss some balls.

This has nothing to do with that the pianist is a woman. Some male pianists play equally sweet and harmless.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1046 on: June 16, 2022, 10:30:42 AM »

This has nothing to do with that the pianist is a woman. Some male pianists play equally sweet and harmless.

Yes, but you know, it’s hot, it’s summer, I’ve drunk half a bottle of Chardonnay, these are relatively minor pieces - a recording like this has its uses. Once a decade maybe.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1047 on: June 16, 2022, 10:49:51 AM »
Yes, but you know, it’s hot, it’s summer, I’ve drunk half a bottle of Chardonnay, these are relatively minor pieces - a recording like this has its uses. Once a decade maybe.

Probably I'm somewhat more earth-bound than you, because there is no need for background music in my book. If I'm not listening concentrated to music (and I wouldn't be able to do this after ½ bottle Chardonnay) I prefer the silence. In our society we are surrounded by noise all the time, so silence feels often beneficial if it can be obtained at all.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1048 on: June 16, 2022, 10:57:03 AM »
Probably I'm somewhat more earth-bound than you, because there is no need for background music in my book. If I'm not listening concentrated to music (and I wouldn't be able to do this after ½ bottle Chardonnay) I prefer the silence. In our society we are surrounded by noise all the time, so silence feels often beneficial if it can be obtained at all.

It can’t be obtained.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:58:39 AM by Mandryka »

• Veteran member
« Reply #1049 on: June 16, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
It can’t be obtained.

This is in principle true. But these are sounds which have followed us during our entire life, and most of us - me included - have learned to ignore them most of the time thereby imagining silence instead.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #1050 on: June 16, 2022, 11:55:52 AM »

I had the same impression.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1051 on: June 16, 2022, 10:20:51 PM »
And some women play like Argerich or Annie Fischer when nobody would suspect a woman because of the playing style...
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1052 on: June 16, 2022, 10:38:09 PM »
And some women play like Argerich or Annie Fischer when nobody would suspect a woman because of the playing style...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LS37SNYjg8w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LS37SNYjg8w</a>
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:59:01 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1053 on: June 16, 2022, 11:58:19 PM »

You drink Chardonnay once in a decade?  ;D
"I’ve always said music should make you laugh, make you cry or make you think." - Kenny Rogers

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1054 on: June 17, 2022, 12:01:41 AM »

I'm the exact opposite. For me listening in the background is a very rewarding experience. I've even coined a term for the whole concept, "unattentive listening".  :)
"I’ve always said music should make you laugh, make you cry or make you think." - Kenny Rogers

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1055 on: June 17, 2022, 01:47:47 AM »
I'm the exact opposite. For me listening in the background is a very rewarding experience. I've even coined a term for the whole concept, "unattentive listening".  :)

I liked Eno’s idea of ambient music: music made just to exist like carpet. It’s not usually Bach. Satie is like this sometimes. But not much else.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1056 on: June 17, 2022, 02:03:03 AM »

I liked Eno’s idea of ambient music: music made just to exist like carpet.

That's not what I mean by "unattentive listening". What I mean is, you listen while reading, writing or simply sitting in the armchair, a glass of drink in hand, your mind wandering. if the music is interesting enough, one moment you'll be struck by a chord, a melody or a harmonic twist and begin listening more attentively. You may end up completely absorbed in the music, or you may revert to "unattentive listening". Either way, it's a most interesting experience.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1057 on: June 17, 2022, 04:36:26 AM »

Online DavidW

« Reply #1058 on: June 17, 2022, 04:55:38 AM »

Satie would be pleased! :D

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1059 on: July 01, 2022, 04:57:51 AM »
Strangely, I cannot find an image of Schaghajegh Nosrati‘s new Well Tempered Clavier recording but it’s out today and I’m having a listen. I’m pretty much always ready to try a new one of these. I don’t know what I think yet but the sound is good and she has a very clear and even touch. I wonder if she’s a bit rigid though.