Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Atriod on May 27, 2023, 03:53:59 PMWho are your favorites on piano and harpsichord?

On harpsichord first and foremost Ton Koopman's second recording (the one on Erato - don't know his first recording)

Others:
Kenneth Gilbert
Davitt Moroney
Christopher Hogwood
Alan Curtis

On piano:
Wolfgang Rübsam
Peter Hill

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

Quote from: premont on May 28, 2023, 03:32:35 AMOn harpsichord first and foremost Ton Koopman's second recording (the one on Erato - don't know his first recording)

Others:
Kenneth Gilbert
Davitt Moroney
Christopher Hogwood
Alan Curtis

On piano:
Wolfgang Rübsam
Peter Hill

Another fan of Peter Hill's French Suites, here, but really, I enjoy all of his Bach recordings.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: premont on May 06, 2023, 03:48:05 PMTo me the French suites are too life affirming in their conception for this kind of interpretation.

Maybe this is a sunny performance of French Suites.

vers la flamme

I want the darkest and most morose possible interpretation of the French Suites, on a harpsichord. Who can help me find this?

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 28, 2023, 08:17:10 AMI want the darkest and most morose possible interpretation of the French Suites, on a harpsichord.

Why would a person in their right minds want that?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: San Antone on May 28, 2023, 06:16:06 AMAnother fan of Peter Hill's French Suites, here, but really, I enjoy all of his Bach recordings.

So do I. His WTC is particularly revealing IMO.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on May 28, 2023, 08:24:47 AMWhy would a person in their right minds want that?  ;D

It's possible that I'm not in my right mind  >:D

prémont

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 28, 2023, 06:35:28 AMMaybe this is a sunny performance of French Suites.

I found some of her second French suite on you tube. Nice but not that special and a bit inarticulate with too much legato playing and certainly not nice enough to repress my preferred harpsichord versions.

I also found this funny arrangement of a movement from an organ trio sonata (BWV 525):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gxpdRebtDU

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 28, 2023, 08:56:28 AMIt's possible that I'm not in my right mind  >:D

Might you be in your left (sinister) mind?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 28, 2023, 08:17:10 AMI want the darkest and most morose possible interpretation of the French Suites, on a harpsichord. Who can help me find this?

Francesco Cera by a country mile.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 28, 2023, 08:56:28 AMIt's possible that I'm not in my right mind  >:D

Don't worry, none of us are.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: premont on May 28, 2023, 09:03:22 AMI found some of her second French suite on you tube. Nice but not that special and a bit inarticulate with too much legato playing and certainly not nice enough to repress my preferred harpsichord versions.

I also found this funny arrangement of a movement from an organ trio sonata (BWV 525):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gxpdRebtDU

Nice dubbing! Your description of the Suite 2 sounds right.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I think van Asperen is dark, if not darkest, too.

prémont

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 28, 2023, 11:25:14 AMI think van Asperen is dark, if not darkest, too.

Yes, but not morose, I think. BTW it's because of this darkness I don't favor him as much as the ones I mentioned above.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: premont on May 28, 2023, 01:34:29 PMYes, but not morose, I think. BTW it's because of this darkness I don't favor him as much as the ones I mentioned above.

You didn't list Leonhardt either.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 28, 2023, 11:25:14 AMI think van Asperen is dark, if not darkest, too.

His performance is the reason I'm curious about this kind of interpretation. I LOVE his performance of the French Suites, which I thought was quite dark, and lovely for it. By the way, it's just about the best sounding harpsichord recording I know. I've wanted to get it on CD for a long time but I believe it's unavailable. As Premont says, maybe it's not exactly morose and lugubrious, but indeed dark.

I really like the Leonhardt too.

Mandryka

Try also Bradley Brookshire for a Lurch type performance, and possibly Egarr too. For emo, apart from the Cera, there's also David Cates.

Does anyone have the booklet for Cera? Does he say anything about why he decided to take such an extraordinary approach?

Atriod

Quote from: Mandryka on May 28, 2023, 08:15:06 PMDoes anyone have the booklet for Cera? Does he say anything about why he decided to take such an extraordinary approach?

I do and he has written his own liner note, messaging you now. I listened to the first suite, this is worth hearing more.

Has Leonhardt made more than one recording of the French Suites?

Mandryka

Quote from: Atriod on May 29, 2023, 06:14:49 AMI do and he has written his own liner note, messaging you now. I listened to the first suite, this is worth hearing more.

Has Leonhardt made more than one recording of the French Suites?

He recorded the second French suite for this (valuable) recording

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8059248--gustav-leonhardt-clavichord-recital

The Cera is an outlier, and this from a musician who isn't noted for being a specially bold performer.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 28, 2023, 08:15:06 PMTry also Bradley Brookshire for a Lurch type performance, and possibly Egarr too. For emo, apart from the Cera, there's also David Cates.

Does anyone have the booklet for Cera? Does he say anything about why he decided to take such an extraordinary approach?
I have to reappraise Brookshire and Asperen. I loved the sound of that instrument and Asperen has this feeling of spontaneity to me. At least I remember thinking so. Is a recording an artist's definitive expression or is it a snapshot of their feeling on that day and on that instrument in that place? For some recordings, I like the sense that this is being beamed in from somewhere and once it's gone, it's gone. Like, an performer's in-the-moment take. Fleeting. But this could all be imagination and nonsense. AOF is a hard piece of music to me: there's always something I don't quite grasp about it. GBV gets old fast for me. How many times can you hear those melodies? This is why AOF is so wonderful.