The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach on the piano

<< < (2/222) > >>

Bulldog:

--- Quote from: mn dave on November 13, 2008, 07:52:52 AM ---I had a feeling old GG would pop up here. And maybe Perahia too?

--- End quote ---

I don't think Perahia ever recorded the French Suites.  The two piano versions I favor come from Gould and Wolfgang Rubsam on Naxos.  Hewitt isn't bad at all, and Gavrilov's dreamy interpretations have much value.  Aldwell comes off rather somber, while Schiff is at the bottom of my list.

I'm assuming you're not interested in harpsichord versions; if I'm wrong, just let me know.

mn dave:

--- Quote from: Bulldog on November 13, 2008, 07:57:39 AM ---I don't think Perahia ever recorded the French Suites.  The two piano versions I favor come from Gould and Wolfgang Rubsam on Naxos.  Hewitt isn't bad at all, and Gavrilov's dreamy interpretations have much value.  Aldwell comes off rather somber, while Schiff is at the bottom of my list.

I'm assuming you're not interested in harpsichord versions; if I'm wrong, just let me know.

--- End quote ---

Right. Just piano for me (for now). Thanks for all the info, Don.

orbital:
Nikolayeva for me. (I'd be curious to hear Gavrilov)

Bulldog:

--- Quote from: orbital on November 13, 2008, 01:40:20 PM ---Nikolayeva for me. (I'd be curious to hear Gavrilov)

--- End quote ---

I had no idea that Nikoalyeva recorded the French Suites.  What label is it on?

orbital:
The label is Scribendum, I think it should be available at russiandvd.com. The 2 CD set includes the complete French Suites as well as 2 of the English ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version