Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on May 30, 2009, 09:00:21 AM
No, I wasn't referring to the Mega Set, but that's also available at Amazon now for the budget price of $103 for all 12 cds. Ugh  :P

Btw, I don't know which box you get for that money, either -- the arty box or the Eloquence budget box.

The arty box.  That's a very good price for the box.  Unfortunately, Schiff's Goldberg Variations isn't nearly as rewarding as his ECM version. 

Bunny

Quote from: Bulldog on May 30, 2009, 09:12:25 AM
The arty box.  That's a very good price for the box.  Unfortunately, Schiff's Goldberg Variations isn't nearly as rewarding as his ECM version.  

I think that would depend on the vendor, and there's no way to predict just which one they are selling.  

Btw, how are the rest of the recordings in the box?  Have they been bettered as well?  And Schiff's ECM Goldbergs have gotten somewhat mixed reviews from various critics who can't seem to decide whether they like the live performance as much as the older studio recording.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on May 30, 2009, 09:15:50 AM
I think that would depend on the vendor, and there's no way to predict just which one they are selling.  

Btw, how are the rest of the recordings in the box?  Have they been bettered as well?  And Schiff's ECM Goldbergs have gotten somewhat mixed reviews from various critics who can't seem to decide whether they like the live performance as much as the older studio recording.

I will pass on this box set.  As I already have 10 versions of the WTC and it is no big miss for not having the version by Schiff ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on May 30, 2009, 09:15:50 AM

Schiff's WTC is his best Bach; I could easily live without the remainder of the box.

Some reviewers still prefer the Decca; the more perceptive ones recognize the superiority of the ECM.  Honestly, I was hesitant about buying the ECM when it first hit the streets, but I was bowled over by the performance - a level of exuberance second to none.  You don't want to miss this one.

Bunny

Quote from: Bulldog on May 30, 2009, 09:43:25 AM
Schiff's WTC is his best Bach; I could easily live without the remainder of the box.

Some reviewers still prefer the Decca; the more perceptive ones recognize the superiority of the ECM.  Honestly, I was hesitant about buying the ECM when it first hit the streets, but I was bowled over by the performance - a level of exuberance second to none.  You don't want to miss this one.

That is good to know.  I may just get it very soon.

Quote from: Coopmv on May 30, 2009, 09:06:45 AM
I have had most of Schiff's individual Bach's recordings for a while but have somehow conveniently left out the WTC when they were cheaper and more available.   >:(

Yeah, $100+ for a budget set.  That is some budget set.  While Amazon Germany had some great price for the set but the shipping cost from Germany will kill you.

Coop, have you checked the listings at Amazon lately?  There are a ton of both books (I & II) in the $15 - $20 range.  That's about as inexpensive as you will find the WTC at any time. 

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on May 30, 2009, 12:19:52 PM
That is good to know.  I may just get it very soon.

Coop, have you checked the listings at Amazon lately?  There are a ton of both books (I & II) in the $15 - $20 range.  That's about as inexpensive as you will find the WTC at any time. 

I will only get some very targeted WTC sets since I already have close to 10 versions ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 30, 2009, 12:39:12 PM
I will only get some very targeted WTC sets since I already have close to 10 versions ...

Which ones are you targeting?

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 30, 2009, 01:09:30 PM
Which ones are you targeting?

The latest WTC by Angela Hewitt and the set by Tatiana Nikolayeva.  I also have 1 or 2 WTC sets on harpsichord I would like to have ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 30, 2009, 04:32:33 PM

The latest WTC by Angela Hewitt and the set by Tatiana Nikolayeva. 

A friend sent me the recent Hewitt set, but I haven't listened yet.  I have been listening to the complete WTC from Angelica Morales on the Lanui label, courtesy of my subscription to the Naxos Music Library.  Very fine playing; Morales was married to Emil von Sauer.

Coopmv

Quote from: Scarpia on June 10, 2009, 01:17:29 PM
I'd be interested to hear Alfred Brendel.  He hasn't recorded much Bach, but I do have one disc of Bach pieces from him that I found rewarding to listen to.

I have this wonderful Bach CD by Brendel.  But I believe it has been OOP ...

Scarpia

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

jlaurson

Dr. Dread

Coopmv

Quote from: masolino on June 10, 2009, 08:47:11 PM
Or this one

which is not OOP.

I need to check this CD out ...   ;D

Leo K.

Oh my, Perahia's Goldberg Variations is just AMAZING.

After more listens I will be able to comment more, but on first hearing I am really blown away.

And based on hearing a sample of Perahia's first English Suites CD it is mightly apparent I now have an exciting adventure up the road, to explore new Bach recordings...I now have Perahia's Bach Keyboard concerti on order....YAY!

dirkronk

OK, time to revisit this thread to ask a question: has anyone here heard Feltsman in his traversal of the 6 Partitas? It's my understanding that they were recorded in Moscow a while back, but the only review on Amazon...while giving it five stars (!)...doesn't do a very descriptive job of characterizing the playing.

I'm curious because I've seen this set at a local used CD venue (one without a player to preview discs), but have hesitated because my past efforts to appreciate Feltsman's Bach left me a bit lukewarm. This was his Book 1 of the WTC, which was VERY highly praised by a former poster on this board. I acquired it, listened a few times, found myself enjoying some of the pieces quite a bit, but overall ranking it well behind Richter, Feinberg et al. Still, if his partitas are good...

And thus my question. So...anyone heard these? All comments gratefully received.

Dirk

Opus106

Due to be released in September. The quasi-complete recordings of Angela Hewitt on Hyperion. (WTC 2008.)

Hyperion
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on July 15, 2010, 05:18:04 AM

Due to be released in September. The quasi-complete recordings of Angela Hewitt on Hyperion. (WTC 2008.)

Hyperion

Interesting set.  But I already have all the CD's except the WTC 2008.  I have the earlier WTC sets ...