Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handelian

Quote from: Mandryka on November 15, 2020, 12:12:26 PM
In fact I was thinking of concerts really when I wrote that, all the dud recitals and operas I've been to!

I've been to a few duds but far more which are at least enjoyable.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 15, 2020, 11:52:36 AM
But in mainstream classical music I bet it doesn't happen much. I have a collection of Sviatoslav Richter bootleg recordings and the performances are really consistent. And he is, by reputation at least, one of the better musicians. That's why classical music is so rarely fresh sounding, it's so often more like a ritual.

We once talked about this before, there was a quotation by Colin Carr that I found. He is probably an exception.

I can not deny that there are musicians who maintain a very static image of the music they play, and who try to reach this ideal at every performance - or recording. I have not heard enough of Sviatoslav Richter's live recordings to be able to say quite a lot about him, apart from the fact that his studio WTC does not differ significantly from his live Salzburg recording, but they are from almost the same period. Other musicians with fairly consistent interpretations could be Backhaus (e.g. his many opus 106) and Karl Richter and Helmut Walcha.

But I think that a large part of classical musicians make room for a certain spontaneity in their live interpretations, which you can get an impression of by comparing studio recordings with live performances or if you have been present at concerts. Two examples from my concert experience: Wilhelm Kempff e.g. chose a faster pace for the finale of op. 57 than in any of his recordings making the movement even wilder. A few notes fell to the ground, but that was completely unimportant. Another example was Walter Kraft, who succeeded in making Buxtehudes d-minor toccata and Bach's BWV 548 far more extatic than his recordings.

The thought that a work must be created anew is of course most actual when it's about live recitals.

But if two studio recordings by the same musician of the same work made with an interval of more years differ much, we use to say, that the musician has changed his view upon the work.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: aukhawk on November 15, 2020, 09:20:35 AM
Where there is creativity in abundance it can easily topple over into anarchy.  Some such people are simply incapable of repeating themselves.

Gould is an example I think. I listened to his Chopin sonata a few days ago. This is an anarchic interpretation.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Handelian

Quote from: Mandryka on November 16, 2020, 12:08:25 AM
Gould is an example I think. I listened to his Chopin sonata a few days ago. This is an anarchic interpretation.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

More like Stravinsky than Chopin.

staxomega

Dina Ugorskaja's latest release, the 15 Inventions are absolutely fabulous. I've also had her recordings of WTC in my heavy rotation and these are also superb, particularly Book 2 but mentioning the 15 Inventions specifically because it just came out recently.

I haven't even got to the Chopin Preludes yet as I've been doing some comparisons among different performances with the Nocturnes and Preludes and want to take a break from them, but I more than got my penny's worth from the 15 Inventions.

I hope Avie has many more of her recordings in the vault.

milk

I'm just going back over things that were kind of missed but shouldn't necessarily be forgotten. Here's Levin, who recorded WTC sets that I love, though don't necessarily recommend to everyone. Levin is interesting for his work on period instruments, I think. I like these partitas of his better this time around. His main means of adding expression is ornamentation. That can wear a little thin sometimes. Maybe better in small doses? He's rather fast and stiff (place joke here). But he's interesting still. 

prémont

Quote from: milk on December 15, 2020, 02:18:09 AM

I'm just going back over things that were kind of missed but shouldn't necessarily be forgotten. Here's Levin, who recorded WTC sets that I love, though don't necessarily recommend to everyone. Levin is interesting for his work on period instruments, I think. I like these partitas of his better this time around. His main means of adding expression is ornamentation. That can wear a little thin sometimes. Maybe better in small doses? He's rather fast and stiff (place joke here). But he's interesting still.

I suppose the style of his recording of the partitas doesn't differ much from his recording of the English suites. If so is the case I'll pass them by - already being very little keen on Bach on modern piano.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 15, 2020, 03:29:09 AM
I suppose the style of his recording of the partitas doesn't differ much from his recording of the English suites. If so is the case I'll pass them by - already being very little keen on Bach on modern piano.
I think it's more for people specifically looking for something different on the piano. He's not really like anyone else that I can think of. Maybe a little like Magregor. But generally, in comparison to all that's out there, he's not a priority. But he does do something different.

milk

I just listened to a sample of this and I'm surprised that I like what I heard. The review I read, though laudatory, threw up red flags for my tastes with the use of words like "pulse" and "percussive." I look out for certain descriptors that usually mean I won't like it but this might be a different case. It's just released so I could only hear one prelude/fugue pair but he does something interesting with articulation and pace. I'm looking forward to the whole thing and I might check out his partitas and other Bach sets. 

SonicMan46

Quote from: milk on December 15, 2020, 02:18:09 AM

Just wanted to see the pic -  8)

milk

milk

Listening to Aimard's WTC I today. I think my enjoyment of any piano Bach comes down to the nature of the pianism on display. Anyway, there's not a lot of ego here and it's not any kind of giant leap either but it is great music. I must hear his AOF. Aimard takes a humble approach to Bach.

prémont

Quote from: milk on April 02, 2021, 04:32:44 AM
Listening to Aimard's WTC I today. I think my enjoyment of any piano Bach comes down to the nature of the pianism on display. Anyway, there's not a lot of ego here and it's not any kind of giant leap either but it is great music. I must hear his AOF. Aimard takes a humble approach to Bach.

Aimards AoF is a somewhat annoying listening  IMO. It gets rather hectic and "hammering" during the course of the work, as the counterpoint gets more dense. But listen and judge for yourself.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Just listened to--and watched--Richard Goode play Bach's Partita in B Major, BWV 828.  He performed it a couple of days ago (Wednesday) and you can still watch it 'til sometime tomorrow in Philadelphia along with some Beethoven and Debussy.  Quite enjoyed it! https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/richard-goode-piano-2021/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 02, 2021, 05:44:57 AM
Just listened to--and watched--Richard Goode play Bach's Partita in B Major, BWV 828.  He performed it a couple of days ago (Wednesday) and you can still watch it 'til sometime tomorrow in Philadelphia along with some Beethoven and Debussy.  Quite enjoyed it! https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/richard-goode-piano-2021/

PD

My one experience of Richard Goode was that he was excellent live, more so than on the (few) recordings I've heard.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on April 02, 2021, 06:25:55 AM
My one experience of Richard Goode was that he was excellent live, more so than on the (few) recordings I've heard.
Interesting, do you remember which recordings you listened to?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 02, 2021, 06:46:10 AM
Interesting, do you remember which recordings you listened to?

PD

Some Beethoven, op 111 I remember.

By the way, he's giving concerts with Debussy preludes. Fabulous interpretation IMO.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on April 02, 2021, 07:53:08 AM
Some Beethoven, op 111 I remember.

By the way, he's giving concerts with Debussy preludes. Fabulous interpretation IMO.
I just finished listening to his concert from Philly (see What are you listening to now).  Was really cool to see someone playing some of Debussy's preludes...hadn't seen that before now.  :)  The concert is available here:  https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/richard-goode-piano-2021/  Also, I enjoyed the pre-performance talk (can view that separately).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Reposted here from the 'listening thread' - looking back in this thread, I bought the Janssen box about 10 years ago from the now defunct MDT across the pond - so after a long while, I decided to re-listen to some of my Papa Bach favorites - a year ago, his name came up again in this discussion - still a nice 'one-stop shopping' choice for those wanting JS on piano.  Dave :)

QuoteBach, JS - Complete Keyboard Works w/ Ivo Janssen - listening to the Goldberg Variations and the Partitas from the 20-disc box, recorded between 1997-2006 on Yamaha Grand Pianos (CF III & C7) - I have many other recordings of these KB works w/ different performers and on various instruments, but was in the mood for piano today; more HERE, and a pic of an older Ivo below.  Dave :)

SurprisedByBeauty

The Bach on this one is quite nice, indeed. (And the lion's share; more interesting than the Tchaik. & Mahler, I find.)