Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Pienaar just released a Byrd recording. I wonder if his WTC would sound different now that he's recorded so much early baroque on piano. I can't help but think it would have been better for him to have done the virginal/early baroque music first.

Mandryka

You should write to him, share your thoughts and see what he says. I am sure he'll be pleased to get an email about his work
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2022, 07:17:33 AMYou should write to him, share your thoughts and see what he says. I am sure he'll be pleased to get an email about his work
An interesting thought. I do like his latest Byrd. It's a big project. I want to listen to it more though. But I'm not sure I like his WTC as much as I used to. But I will go back again soon and see what I think. I've been so overwhelmed but Peter Hill on the piano that I have to wait a while and approach other piano recordings fresh. I feel so strongly that Hill is one of the best recordings on piano.

milk

I'm trying to just enjoy this, not knowing this performer and not usually liking Bach cut up by themes. This is an indulgence for the performer. Does this performer earn this kind of indulgence? I don't know yet but, still, I'm enjoying the references to other things. I just doubt whether I'll come Bach to it being that it is the way it is. But I will say that the performances are tasteful and recorded really well, they are mostly played without brooding or too much introspection. It's not a bad thing. He seems to be on the sunny side. But, he doesn't complete the full book. I have a hard time coming back to a recording that slaps together Bach with other things. I think it's OK for an afternoon and he might be a good concert too.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Sexy, fashionable title. Yet it is not as cool as "Back to Bach". Will check the music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: milk on January 26, 2023, 02:07:23 PM
I'm trying to just enjoy this, not knowing this performer and not usually liking Bach cut up by themes. This is an indulgence for the performer. Does this performer earn this kind of indulgence? I don't know yet but, still, I'm enjoying the references to other things. I just doubt whether I'll come Bach to it being that it is the way it is. But I will say that the performances are tasteful and recorded really well, they are mostly played without brooding or too much introspection. It's not a bad thing. He seems to be on the sunny side. But, he doesn't complete the full book. I have a hard time coming back to a recording that slaps together Bach with other things. I think it's OK for an afternoon and he might be a good concert too.

This time, this is not for me. Usually I like what you suggest though. I may change my mind soon.

milk

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 27, 2023, 02:24:39 PMThis time, this is not for me. Usually I like what you suggest though. I may change my mind soon.
It's forgettable music for me. I don't really recommend it. I just noticed it and listened to it. I wonder if someone suggested this idea to the pianist or if he came up with it. It's the kind of thing maybe people should stop doing? I'm wondering what would make something like this really memorable and awesome. Or maybe I'm just missing the idea. This is an anniversary of the WTC type thing?

milk

Just something I'm trying. Who knows? But I think she skips repeats. Bad sign?

milk

Quote from: milk on January 30, 2023, 04:06:10 AM
Just something I'm trying. Who knows? But I think she skips repeats. Bad sign?
Well, it's just too straightforward for me. It's fast and furious and not very thoughtful. Just my impression. Oh well.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

All arrangement works. I would appreciate if anybody provide opinion/review on this recording. Thanks.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 31, 2023, 10:30:25 AMAll arrangement works. I would appreciate if anybody provide opinion/review on this recording. Thanks.

BWV 541 is a great fave of mine, and so it's good to see someone making a suitably irreverent piano transcription of the prelude. What she does seems a bit like slapstick comedy - like those loony tunes Liszt rhapsodies - I can imagine Micky Mouse being chased by a that puss cat - have a listen to, for example, Walcha - I think there's more dignity in Bach's vision. 

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2023, 01:56:23 PMBWV 541 is a great fave of mine, and so it's good to see someone making a suitably irreverent piano transcription of the prelude. What she does seems a bit like slapstick comedy - like those loony tunes Liszt rhapsodies - have a listen to, for example, Walcha - I think there's more dignity in Bach's vision. 

Thanks a lot, Mandryka. I will check the Walcha!

Mandryka

There is a piano transcription of 541 by Eugen D'Albert and another by Alexander Goedicke - I think Eliane Rogrigues uses her own - whatever it is, it's worth hearing. 

BWV 541 always reminds me of BWV 547 - shame there's no piano transcription of the latter.

Have you heard her Chopin nocturnes?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2023, 09:41:36 PMThere is a piano transcription of 541 by Eugen D'Albert and another by Alexander Goedicke - I think Eliane Rogrigues uses her own - whatever it is, it's worth hearing. 

BWV 541 always reminds me of BWV 547 - shame there's no piano transcription of the latter.

I thought that her Nocturnes were pretty good, but I don't feel I know the music well.

Can't find a Goedicke recording.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 01, 2023, 08:34:14 AMCan't find a Goedicke recording.

First track here (not a recommendation!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_BMaYtFJg&ab_channel=S.D.G.JohannSebastianBach

I really love these sunny, light Bach organ preludes. 

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2023, 09:41:36 PMThere is a piano transcription of 541 by Eugen D'Albert and another by Alexander Goedicke - I think Eliane Rogrigues uses her own - whatever it is, it's worth hearing. 

I think I prefer the D'Albert arrangement to the Goedicke. The Rodrigues is a reconstruction, rather than arrangement. I wonder about her motives/intentions.

Do you prefer Walcha Stereo to Walcha mono for BWV 541, and/or in general?

premont

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 02, 2023, 08:21:42 AMThe Rodrigues is a reconstruction

A reconstruction is an attempt to recreate something that once existed but was later more or less lost. What has been lost regarding BWV 541?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: premont on February 02, 2023, 08:36:54 AMA reconstruction is an attempt to recreate something that once existed but was later more or less lost. What has been lost regarding BWV 541?

You're right, it's something else rather than reconstruction.

P.s. Perhaps "deconstruction" would have been a more accurate term.

Verena

Quote from: premont on February 02, 2023, 08:36:54 AMA reconstruction is an attempt to recreate something that once existed but was later more or less lost. What has been lost regarding BWV 541?
Is there any word that really captures what is meant? I checked synonyms and none really seems to apply. I'm really interested in this because I'm struggling to find a term in an analogous case, where so far I've also opted for the term ,,reconstruction". I think Dry Brett Kavanaugh's ,,deconstruction" captures the first part of the process at issue.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Mandryka

Quote from: Verena on February 03, 2023, 06:34:19 AMIs there any word that really captures what is meant? I checked synonyms and none really seems to apply. I'm really interested in this because I'm struggling to find a term in an analogous case, where so far I've also opted for the term ,,reconstruction". I think Dry Brett Kavanaugh's ,,deconstruction" captures the first part of the process at issue.

It is a transcription, like Busoni made transcriptions. Or it's an arrangement, like Finnissy made arrangements. Take this by Gershwin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpzUTjBM88&ab_channel=PhillipPrimrose

and this arrangement by Michael Finnissy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJP_DoaCoA&ab_channel=TheClassicalFun