Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

Who do you like for the French suites?

springrite

I really like Gavrilov in these works. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know.

mn dave

Quote from: springrite on November 13, 2008, 06:13:36 AM
I really like Gavrilov in these works. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know.

And...it's not impossible to find. Thank you for that. :)

Norbeone

Quote from: mn dave on November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM
Who do you like for the French suites?

Glenn Gould's is just amazing.

mn dave

Quote from: Norbeone on November 13, 2008, 06:49:48 AM

Glenn Gould's is just amazing.

I had a feeling old GG would pop up here. And maybe Perahia too?

Bulldog

Quote from: mn dave on November 13, 2008, 06:52:52 AM
I had a feeling old GG would pop up here. And maybe Perahia too?

I don't think Perahia ever recorded the French Suites.  The two piano versions I favor come from Gould and Wolfgang Rubsam on Naxos.  Hewitt isn't bad at all, and Gavrilov's dreamy interpretations have much value.  Aldwell comes off rather somber, while Schiff is at the bottom of my list.

I'm assuming you're not interested in harpsichord versions; if I'm wrong, just let me know.

mn dave

Quote from: Bulldog on November 13, 2008, 06:57:39 AM
I don't think Perahia ever recorded the French Suites.  The two piano versions I favor come from Gould and Wolfgang Rubsam on Naxos.  Hewitt isn't bad at all, and Gavrilov's dreamy interpretations have much value.  Aldwell comes off rather somber, while Schiff is at the bottom of my list.

I'm assuming you're not interested in harpsichord versions; if I'm wrong, just let me know.

Right. Just piano for me (for now). Thanks for all the info, Don.

orbital

Nikolayeva for me. (I'd be curious to hear Gavrilov)

Bulldog

Quote from: orbital on November 13, 2008, 12:40:20 PM
Nikolayeva for me. (I'd be curious to hear Gavrilov)

I had no idea that Nikoalyeva recorded the French Suites.  What label is it on?

orbital

The label is Scribendum, I think it should be available at russiandvd.com. The 2 CD set includes the complete French Suites as well as 2 of the English ones.

Bulldog

Quote from: orbital on November 13, 2008, 01:15:45 PM
The label is Scribendum, I think it should be available at russiandvd.com. The 2 CD set includes the complete French Suites as well as 2 of the English ones.

Thanks much, and the set is in stock. :)

Bunny

Quote from: orbital on November 13, 2008, 01:15:45 PM

Very tempting.

mn dave

Oh, sure. You have to order it from Russia. I don't need anything that bad.

zauberflöte

It was years ago; I was a teen-ager and Glenn Gould was alive.
Being a kid, I was as pompous as could be but, deep down, so insecure I was a slave to the music critics who all agreed Glenn Gould may have been marvelous in his early days, particularly in Bach and particularly in the Goldberg Variations and Partitas, but he had gone horribly astray ever since he had stopped concertizing.
Everything had become grotesquely eccentric, the critics said, with clipped rhythms, rolled chords, ridiculous tempi, let's not even talk about the humming. I kept wondering, if he's so awful why do record companies keep recording him and why do the critics keep writing about him?
I avoided him like the plague. I was a purist at that time anyway. Only Bach on the harpsichord for me, thank you very much.
Then one day in the car I tuned on the radio just as the fifth French Suite was starting. I became almost instantly mesmerized even though it was being played on the piano. It was the most beautifully musical rendition I had ever heard.  I kept on saying to myself, almost in disbelief, "Who the hell is this?"
When it was over, the deejay said it was Gould.
I was flabbergasted. After reattaching my jaw to my head but leaving behind the scales that had fallen from my eyes I went out and bought Gould's French Suites, and, in time, dozens upon dozens of his recordings.
I guess you could say I'm quite an ardent fan now. And it all started with a single French Suite.

Bulldog

Quote from: mn dave on November 13, 2008, 02:13:41 PM
Oh, sure. You have to order it from Russia. I don't need anything that bad.

Actually, you have to go there yourself and get it - only kidding.

I think the site is American; give it a try.  Everthing I ordered from them comes in timely fashion.

mn dave

Quote from: Bulldog on November 13, 2008, 04:37:39 PM
Actually, you have to go there yourself and get it - only kidding.

I think the site is American; give it a try.  Everthing I ordered from them comes in timely fashion.

Heh. Maybe I will. I'm getting the Gould first though.

Bulldog

This isn't in the piano arena, but last night I listened to the best French Suites I've ever heard from harpsichordist Alan Curtis on Teldec.
He combines hesitations and staggering of musical lines expertly with the result being enhanced rhythmic tension.  Also, he varies lean and full phrasing beautifully, and the conversational element is mesmerizing.  Easily the most interesting interpretation on record.

Norbeone

Quote from: zauberflote on November 13, 2008, 04:21:12 PM
It was years ago; I was a teen-ager and Glenn Gould was alive.
Being a kid, I was as pompous as could be but, deep down, so insecure I was a slave to the music critics who all agreed Glenn Gould may have been marvelous in his early days, particularly in Bach and particularly in the Goldberg Variations and Partitas, but he had gone horribly astray ever since he had stopped concertizing.
Everything had become grotesquely eccentric, the critics said, with clipped rhythms, rolled chords, ridiculous tempi, let's not even talk about the humming. I kept wondering, if he's so awful why do record companies keep recording him and why do the critics keep writing about him?
I avoided him like the plague. I was a purist at that time anyway. Only Bach on the harpsichord for me, thank you very much.
Then one day in the car I tuned on the radio just as the fifth French Suite was starting. I became almost instantly mesmerized even though it was being played on the piano. It was the most beautifully musical rendition I had ever heard.  I kept on saying to myself, almost in disbelief, "Who the hell is this?"
When it was over, the deejay said it was Gould.
I was flabbergasted. After reattaching my jaw to my head but leaving behind the scales that had fallen from my eyes I went out and bought Gould's French Suites, and, in time, dozens upon dozens of his recordings.
I guess you could say I'm quite an ardent fan now. And it all started with a single French Suite.

Charming story. Thanks.    :)

Que

For those who like Bach on the piano:

The complete Andras Schiff is on jpc very cheap (€20):

Q

mn dave

Quote from: Que on November 21, 2008, 06:46:02 AM
For those who like Bach on the piano:

The complete Andras Schiff is on jpc very cheap (€20):

That's the first mention of him in this thread. :)