Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidRoss on May 25, 2009, 08:31:52 AM
Huh? There are lots of "Sony" budget discs, often superb recordings from the Columbia vaults, and their new issues are priced comparable to other "majors" (and less than many highly regarded specialty labels).

Perahia's Goldbergs on Sony is a solid performance that was very favorably reviewed.  Amazon's price with shipping is $13.98; marketplace sellers offer it from $7.68 new and cheaper used.

I have been primarily looking at Perahia's Bach recordings and most of them are relatively recent releases.

Bunny

Quote from: Bulldog on April 07, 2009, 08:55:27 AM
I acquired this recording a few years ago even though most of the reviews I had read were not complimentary.  I was very much taken with the interpretation, although a few aspects were problematic such as his speeding up in the second sections and an overall lack of vertical lift.  However, the excitement he generates, his sharply defined contours, superb voice interaction and incisive emotional content easily wins the day.

I've been a Weissenberg fan since I was a little girl -- the mad, bad, Bulgarian.  If you like his Bach, you should try to get hold of his Scarlatti.

Right now I've been listening a lot to Zhu Xiao-Mei's recording of the WTC - II.  For WTC - I, I still love Till Fellner, and just wish he would record the second book.  For that matter, I wish Zhu would record the first book too!

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on May 25, 2009, 09:45:09 AM
I've been a Weissenberg fan since I was a little girl -- the mad, bad, Bulgarian.  If you like his Bach, you should try to get hold of his Scarlatti.

Right now I've been listening a lot to Zhu Xiao-Mei's recording of the WTC - II.  For WTC - I, I still love Till Fellner, and just wish he would record the second book.  For that matter, I wish Zhu would record the first book too!

Although I have plenty of Scarlatti recordings, can't say he does much for me.

Totally agree about Till Fellner and Zhu Xiao-Mei; give me more.

Bunny

???
Quote from: Bulldog on May 25, 2009, 09:50:56 AM
Although I have plenty of Scarlatti recordings, can't say he does much for me.

Totally agree about Till Fellner and Zhu Xiao-Mei; give me more.

Who doesn't do much for you?  Scarlatti, or Weissenberg playing Scarlatti?  ???

Coopmv

This is a curious looking CD cover, which looks quite industrial to me.  What is the contraption, is it some AC vent?     ;D

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 25, 2009, 10:47:34 AM

This is a curious looking CD cover, which looks quite industrial to me.  What is the contraption, is it some AC vent?     ;D

Fellner surely doesn't have an "industrial" playing style.  Kind of introvert and fuzzy sounding, if one is used to more aggressive and sumptuous harpsichord sound.   But I do like the fact that he doesn't pretend he was playing a harpsichord. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bunny

Quote from: traverso on May 26, 2009, 11:41:32 AM
Fellner surely doesn't have an "industrial" playing style.  Kind of introvert and fuzzy sounding, if one is used to more aggressive and sumptuous harpsichord sound.   But I do like the fact that he doesn't pretend he was playing a harpsichord. 

Unlike Keith Jarrett who pretends he's playing the piano when playing the harpsichord?

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on May 26, 2009, 12:34:28 PM
Unlike Keith Jarrett who pretends he's playing the piano when playing the harpsichord?

That reminds me that it's been a long time since I listened to my discs of Jarrett's Bach and Shostakovich.  Probably should hand them over to my daughter or the local library.  Frankly, Jarrett doesn't have much to offer me, although his French Suites was a pretty good set.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 26, 2009, 04:23:43 PM
That reminds me that it's been a long time since I listened to my discs of Jarrett's Bach and Shostakovich.  Probably should hand them over to my daughter or the local library.  Frankly, Jarrett doesn't have much to offer me, although his French Suites was a pretty good set.

Didn't he play his Goldberg Variations on harpsichord to prove a point?

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 26, 2009, 04:46:05 PM

What was he trying to prove?

Bunny

Quote from: Coopmv on May 26, 2009, 04:46:05 PM

Quote from: Bulldog on May 27, 2009, 08:37:35 AM
What was he trying to prove?

Beats me!

Bunny

I know it's ridiculous, but I've just been looking at Koroliov's recordings of the WTC, and keep wishing I could decide whether or not to buy them.  Every so often I think of them and then the pricepoint stops me in my tracks...

Tacet is such an expensive label!

jlaurson

Quote from: Bunny on May 27, 2009, 10:27:18 AM
I know it's ridiculous, but I've just been looking at Koroliov's recordings of the WTC, and keep wishing I could decide whether or not to buy them.  Every so often I think of them and then the pricepoint stops me in my tracks...

Tacet is such an expensive label!

Yes... but that's the very recording about which Ligeti said it'd be the only one he'd take to his desert island!

Quote from: opus67 on May 27, 2009, 12:26:00 PM
I believe he was referring to his recording of BWV 1080, not of the 48.

Alas, I am mistaken & you are correct.

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on May 27, 2009, 12:13:27 PM
Yes... but that's the very recording about which Ligeti said it'd be the only one he'd take to his desert island!

Regards,
Navneeth

Bunny

Quote from: jlaurson on May 27, 2009, 12:13:27 PM

Alas, I am mistaken & you are correct.

::). Clearly, no help to be found here.

FideLeo

K's interpretation strives a lot for an austere and meditative impression which I personally found overdone even for this supposedly Bach's last work (which it probably isn't).  Aimard's DG recording suits me better if it is to be played on the piano.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bunny

Quote from: traverso on May 29, 2009, 08:24:24 PM
K's interpretation strives a lot for an austere and meditative impression which I personally found overdone even for this supposedly Bach's last work (which it probably isn't).  Aimard's DG recording suits me better if it is to be played on the piano.

Well, now here's another piano WTC to tempt me...

And what about Andras Schiff's WTC?  Those are really cheap at Amazon -- always an incentive to me, as I am a perpetual bargain hunter.

Quick search find that there is not WTC by Aimard availble, only Art of the Fugue.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on May 30, 2009, 07:20:37 AM
Well, now here's another piano WTC to tempt me...

And what about Andras Schiff's WTC?  Those are really cheap at Amazon -- always an incentive to me, as I am a perpetual bargain hunter.

Are you referring to the mega-set, which is only available in Amazon Germany?  That set also includes Schiff's WTC. 

Bunny

Quote from: Coopmv on May 30, 2009, 07:23:26 AM
Are you referring to the mega-set, which is only available in Amazon Germany?  That set also includes Schiff's WTC. 

No, I wasn't referring to the Mega Set, but that's also available at Amazon now for the budget price of $103 for all 12 cds. Ugh  :P

Btw, I don't know which box you get for that money, either -- the arty box or the Eloquence budget box.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on May 30, 2009, 09:00:21 AM
No, I wasn't referring to the Mega Set, but that's also available at Amazon now for the budget price of $103 for all 12 cds. Ugh  :P

Btw, I don't know which box you get for that money, either -- the arty box or the Eloquence budget box.

I have had most of Schiff's individual Bach's recordings for a while but have somehow conveniently left out the WTC when they were cheaper and more available.   >:(

Yeah, $100+ for a budget set.  That is some budget set.  While Amazon Germany had some great price for the set but the shipping cost from Germany will kill you.