Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nesf

Quote from: Bulldog on February 12, 2012, 12:06:22 PM
Unfortunately, there are many folks who don't like the sound of a harpsichord. :(

It took me well over a year to develop any kind of taste for it and even so a lot of harpsichord stuff sets my teeth on edge.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

Verena

Quote from: Bulldog on February 12, 2012, 12:06:22 PM
Unfortunately, there are many folks who don't like the sound of a harpsichord. :(

I'm trying relatively hard at the moment to learn to like that sound by listening to harpsichord recordings on a regular basis; interpretation-wise I really admire many harpsichord recordings of Bach, more so than most piano versions. If only I could get myself to liking the sound a little more...
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Verena on February 12, 2012, 12:49:37 PM
I'm trying relatively hard at the moment to learn to like that sound by listening to harpsichord recordings on a regular basis; interpretation-wise I really admire many harpsichord recordings of Bach, more so than most piano versions. If only I could get myself to liking the sound a little more...

Personally, I believe when people isn't comfortable with the sound of the harpsichord, it's a good idea to avoid old recordings. And the word "old" is very comprehensive in this repertory, including even recordings from the eighties.  ;D Obviously this is an exaggeration, but the point is that currently the harpsichord is getting quite better recordings than in the past (obviously in the past also existed harpsichords gloriously recorded and I am not talking about the interpretations). That's the reason why I frequently recommend contemporary recordings to people uncomfortable with the sound of the harpsichord. Recordings like this:

[asin]B000088SU7[/asin]

Here a French copy of a German harpsichord is used and it's wonderfully recorded. BTW, Joyé delivers a beautiful, totally first-rate interpretation.  :)

Verena

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 12, 2012, 01:52:04 PM
Personally, I believe when people isn't comfortable with the sound of the harpsichord, it's a good idea to avoid old recordings. And the word "old" is very comprehensive in this repertory, including even recordings from the eighties.  ;D Obviously this is an exaggeration, but the point is that currently the harpsichord is getting quite better recordings than in the past (obviously in the past also existed harpsichords gloriously recorded and I am not talking about the interpretations). That's the reason why I frequently recommend contemporary recordings to people uncomfortable with the sound of the harpsichord. Recordings like this:

[asin]B000088SU7[/asin]

Here a French copy of a German harpsichord is used and it's wonderfully recorded. BTW, Joyé delivers a beautiful, totally first-rate interpretation.  :)

Thanks, Antoine! I'll check it out.

Bulldog

[asin]B000088SU7[/asin]

You picked a good one - Joye and her harpsichord offer a luxurious and delightful set of performances.  It's hard to imagine anyone not being smitten.

Geo Dude

Head over to the Bach on the harpsichord thread and we'll see if we can set you on the right direction. :)

Opus106

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 12, 2012, 05:43:52 AMBut why play Bach on the piano at all, when we have got the harpsichord, which is the ideal instrument for this music?

To quote George Mallory, beause it's there. ;)

Regards,
Navneeth

mc ukrneal

[asin]B000088SU7[/asin]

That's not a bad recommendation at all for those who dislike the harpsichord sound. It has a warmer, richer sound with less pinging. I bet most would be able to listen to this one, though perhaps not in one go.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mandryka

It's on spotify.

I suspect that the reaction against harpsichord goes deeper than just wanting a warm sound. People I know people who like piano music say they think the lack of dynamic variation is tiring. And me, I have a problem with the  hesitations which seems so widespread among harpsichordists, but which hardly exists among pianists -- Rubsam apart.

In fact I think the piano is easier to have as ambient music. The harpsichord is more attention grabbing. And so it's less easy on the ears, less able to become a sort of beautiful elegant background. That could be a problem too.

If not I suggest piano lovers and harpsichord haters go to a big pedal harpsichord record rather than that one that Antone suggested. One with  thrilling colours and a deep bass and a player who's ready to tickle your fancy with exciting inorganic registration changes, and who lets the music sing forth, piano-style. How about one of my favourites:

Or maybe more subtly, they could go to a particularly singing and beautiful harpsichord, but in some music where the keyboard doesn't play for too long -- where there's variety and  where they're less likely to become fatigued by the relentless lack of dynamic variation. Like Tachezi in Harnoncourt's Musical Ofering. It's hard to imagine anyone could react against the harpsichord there:

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Opus106

Quote from: Mandryka on February 12, 2012, 11:25:57 PM
Or maybe more subtly, they could go to a particularly singing and beautiful harpsichord, but in some music where the keyboard doesn't play for too long -- where there's variety and  where they're less likely to become fatigued by the relentless lack of dynamic variation. Like Tachezi in Harnoncourt's Musical Ofering. It's hard to imagine anyone could react against the harpsichord there:

The harpsichord sound might be okay here (beautiful, really), but the music might be considered too "academic" (and dry, cold, emotionless and whathaveyou). ;) Another recording from the same recording stable (more or less) in which I find the harpsichord sound to be as good is Scott Ross' recording of CUII along with the Chromatic F&F and the duets.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mandryka

Quote from: Opus106 on February 12, 2012, 11:47:22 PM
The harpsichord sound might be okay here (beautiful, really), but the music might be considered too "academic" (and dry, cold, emotionless and whathaveyou). ;) Another recording from the same recording stable (more or less) in which I find the harpsichord sound to be as good is Scott Ross' recording of CUII along with the Chromatic F&F and the duets.

Yes. I remember now that in the thread here on Musical Offering people say they don't like the music, that's it's dry blah blah blah.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jlaurson

This would be, far and away, my favorite harpsichord disc to try out someone who usually is not keen on harpsichord sound.

The music, Bach and Bach-friend miniatures, is delightful; the recorded sound is lush and rich like a warm snifter of cognac.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/11/harpsichord-like-rarely-ever.html, http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/12/best-recordings-of-2010-1.html.

Now back to Bach on the Piano.

Verena

Quote from: Geo Dude on February 12, 2012, 05:20:34 PM
Head over to the Bach on the harpsichord thread and we'll see if we can set you on the right direction. :)

Thanks! I will  :)

Verena

Quote from: jlaurson on February 13, 2012, 05:53:41 AM
This would be, far and away, my favorite harpsichord disc to try out someone who usually is not keen on harpsichord sound.

The music, Bach and Bach-friend miniatures, is delightful; the recorded sound is lush and rich like a warm snifter of cognac.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/11/harpsichord-like-rarely-ever.html, http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/12/best-recordings-of-2010-1.html.

Thanks!!

prémont

Quote from: jlaurson on February 13, 2012, 05:53:41 AM

If this is your favored harpsichord recording [Rousset´s English suites et c.] I very well understand why you prefer Bach on the piano.  ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PaulSC

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 13, 2012, 10:00:09 AM
If this is your favored harpsichord recording [Rousset´s English suites et c.] I very well understand why you prefer Bach on the piano.  ;D

Actually, I don't think Jens has any consistent preference for piano versus harpsichord. I suspect he was just reminding us that this is the "Bach on the piano" thread...
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 12, 2012, 09:34:24 AM
..There are two main reasons why I listen to Bach on piano. One is that some of the piano transcriptions are in themselves interesting and rather nice pieces of music.
And second I think that some of the pianists who play Bach are very good musicians. I think Richter's suites, for example, are just very good performances in their own right: the question of style notwithstanding. The same thought, by the way applies to pre HIP harpsichord performances - those early Leonhardt recordings which I love so much, and Walcha's English suites, and the first Landowska record of English Suite 2.

You have two good and important points there. Yes, some piano transcriptions are interesting - and let us not forget, that transcription has been part of our music culture for ages.
And more important is that some performers are so great that one must listen to them, even if they chose an unidiomatic instrument, whether piano or non-period harpsichord. And if we did not have their recordings we would have nothing. I am not at all adverse to Bach on piano or non-period harpsichord at that level, and I certainly prefer a great pianist to a mediocre harpsichordist any day.

Quote from: Mandryka
I'm interested in 21st century Bach -- a way of playing the music which makes it sound not like a product of an outmoded world, even if that world is Bach's own. Not just a beautiful decoration or a historical curiosity, but something which speaks to me and my concerns now.  Walcha's  intense sewing machine comes close to being just that -- as does, for reasons I can't articulate,  that intense, unified and varying wall of sound in Zacher's AoF. And some of the pieces in Richter's WTC -- especially towards the end of Book 1.

Maybe the music is sufficiently strong to do this, if allowed to speak for itself. That's what you would say I think, premont. I'm coming round to that opinion myself  :)

Living with Bach´s music  for many years enables you to absorb his world, and it may become an actual and not an outmoded world. After all human affects and emotions have been similar for ages.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: PaulSC on February 13, 2012, 11:29:13 AM
Actually, I don't think Jens has any consistent preference for piano versus harpsichord. I suspect he was just reminding us that this is the "Bach on the piano" thread...

Yes, you are right. It is a problem to have two so related threads.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 12, 2012, 11:25:57 PM
In fact I think the piano is easier to have as ambient music. The harpsichord is more attention grabbing. And so it's less easy on the ears, less able to become a sort of beautiful elegant background. That could be a problem too.

Sad, but probably true.

I think my way to get to love the harpsichord was listening to it live at recitals.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Quote from: (: premont :) on Today at 05:21:11 PM
I think my way to get to love the harpsichord was listening to it live at recitals.

Collaborating with a chap who plays the harpsichord made all the difference, somehow.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot