Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: karlhenning on February 13, 2012, 12:27:54 PM
Quote from: (: premont :) on Today at 05:21:11 PM
I think my way to get to love the harpsichord was listening to it live at recitals.

Collaborating with a chap who plays the harpsichord made all the difference, somehow.

karl, you're quotes look weird lately. They don't have that blue bubble around them.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bulldog

Quote from: Mandryka on February 12, 2012, 11:25:57 PM
It's on spotify.

I suspect that the reaction against harpsichord goes deeper than just wanting a warm sound. People I know people who like piano music say they think the lack of dynamic variation is tiring. And me, I have a problem with the  hesitations which seems so widespread among harpsichordists, but which hardly exists among pianists -- Rubsam apart.

In fact I think the piano is easier to have as ambient music. The harpsichord is more attention grabbing. And so it's less easy on the ears, less able to become a sort of beautiful elegant background.

No matter whether a harpsichord or piano, I sure don't want it played as "elegant background".

PaulSC

Quote from: George on February 13, 2012, 02:30:06 PM
karl, you're quotes look weird lately. They don't have that blue bubble around them.

I wonder if it's a Tapatalk thing?
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

George

Quote from: PaulSC on February 13, 2012, 05:52:36 PM
I wonder if it's a Tapatalk thing?

I wonder what Tapatalk is?  :-\

DavidW

Quote from: George on February 13, 2012, 05:55:15 PM
I wonder what Tapatalk is?  :-\

It's an app for phones and tablets to make it easier to read and post in forums on those lilliputian displays.  It costs $1 for the kindle fire (and probably android in general), on the ipod/iphone it is $3. :o  You have to be some serious mobile forum posting kind of guy to shell out $3 for that! :D

George

Quote from: DavidW on February 13, 2012, 07:24:10 PM
It's an app for phones and tablets to make it easier to read and post in forums on those lilliputian displays.  It costs $1 for the kindle fire (and probably android in general), on the ipod/iphone it is $3. :o  You have to be some serious mobile forum posting kind of guy to shell out $3 for that! :D

Thanks Dave! How was that thing I sent ya?

DavidW

Quote from: George on February 13, 2012, 07:40:53 PM
Thanks Dave! How was that thing I sent ya?

I was listening to the album this am... and then realized "shit that's the wrong version!" I've loaded it now and will listen to it tomorrow. :)

George

Quote from: DavidW on February 13, 2012, 07:45:33 PM
I was listening to the album this am... and then realized "shit that's the wrong version!" I've loaded it now and will listen to it tomorrow. :)

Ok, let me know.

Leon

Quote from: Bulldog on February 13, 2012, 02:41:11 PM
No matter whether a harpsichord or piano, I sure don't want it played as "elegant background".

+1

:)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Bulldog on February 13, 2012, 02:41:11 PM

+ 2

Karl Henning

Could still be played by someone wearing a powdered wig, though.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Leo K.

Quote from: karlhenning on February 14, 2012, 10:29:44 AM
Could still be played by someone wearing a powdered wig, though.

+1

;)

DavidW

Quote from: George on February 14, 2012, 03:57:44 AM
Ok, let me know.

It has that analog sound, not as crisp but very detailed... and it has a much better dynamic range with no distortion or artifacts like the version I have.  Thanks. :)

George

Quote from: DavidW on February 14, 2012, 11:21:16 AM
It has that analog sound, not as crisp but very detailed... and it has a much better dynamic range with no distortion or artifacts like the version I have.  Thanks. :)

Cool, glad you like it!  8)

Coopmv

Quote from: DavidW on February 13, 2012, 07:24:10 PM

That is Apple for you.  I have never owned any Apple products and have no intention of ever ...

Leo K.

I've finished hearing this recording of Book.2 of WTC played by Zhu Xiao-Mei, and her account fascinates me. Makes me glad to explore Bach on piano, which I've been wanting to do for awhile now. It's a whole other exciting world of sound to hear Bach in this manner. The right pianist can open the door to a new enlightening experience in Bach.

8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Leo K on February 18, 2012, 06:21:27 AM

I've finished hearing this recording of Book.2 of WTC played by Zhu Xiao-Mei, and her account fascinates me. Makes me glad to explore Bach on piano, which I've been wanting to do for awhile now. It's a whole other exciting world of sound to hear Bach in this manner. The right pianist can open the door to a new enlightening experience in Bach.

8)

I absolutely love her Bach & Scarlatti -- and her WTC is among those few recordings I am really ready to purchase.  Amazing, yet not at all ostentatious in any way. Leaves all discussion as to instrument behind, and leaves you only the music.

Leo K.

Quote from: jlaurson on February 18, 2012, 06:30:38 AM
I absolutely love her Bach & Scarlatti -- and her WTC is among those few recordings I am really ready to purchase.  Amazing, yet not at all ostentatious in any way. Leaves all discussion as to instrument behind, and leaves you only the music.

Great description there, and I totally agree. I am looking forward to her Book 1 in the near future.

Verena

Quote from: Leo K on February 18, 2012, 06:21:27 AM

8)

Her Bach partitas are wonderful.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)