Bach on the piano

Started by mn dave, November 13, 2008, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Verena on February 18, 2012, 07:05:14 AM
Her Bach partitas are wonderful.

I'm going to hear her in Paris on April 1st. Part of a big weekend festival. Before the concert I'll be hearing Hantai play some Bach -- she's playing Haydn and some other things, but AFAIR not Bach.

I'm really going because some friends of mine, who tend to like romantic Bach, praise her. She's playing Haydn, Mozart and Schubert. My main aim in going to the festival was to hear Hantai (Bach, Couperin and Byrd). But now I read your post  I feel glad I got the ticket!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Verena

Quote from: Mandryka on February 18, 2012, 07:50:16 AM
I'm going to hear her in Paris on April 1st. Part of a big weekend festival. Before the concert I'll be hearing Hantai play some Bach -- she's playing Haydn and some other things, but AFAIR not Bach.

I'm really going because some friends of mine, who tend to like romantic Bach, praise her. She's playing Haydn, Mozart and Schubert. My main aim in going to the festival was to hear Hantai (Bach, Couperin and Byrd). But now I read your post  I feel glad I got the ticket!

I hope you enjoy the concert! She can be terrific, I think. I enjoy her Haydn and also part of her recent Mozart recording.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 18, 2012, 07:50:16 AM
I'm going to hear her in Paris on April 1st. Part of a big weekend festival...

..My main aim in going to the festival was to hear Hantai (Bach, Couperin and Byrd).

Hantaï  - that sounds interesting. A report from you about the recital would be appreciated. :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Leo K.

Hearing Edwin Fischer's WTC set for the first time last night, and he's making me become a REAL fan of Bach on piano! Wow! Based on previous reviews online and comments here, I was expecting something more heavy handed and romantic, but what I heard was more subtle and structured.

Also, heard the first half of Fellner's WTC too, and WOW. Love, love LOVE it.

8)

Leo K.

Besides Edwin Fischer and Zhu Xiao-Mei, I have been listening to the following, fascinated by the different approaches taken on the modern grand.

8)

Bulldog

In today's MusicWeb International set of reviews, there's a review of Gould's 1955 Goldberg Variations that the reviewer dumps on for 10 paragraphs.  In doing so, he holds up Perahia, Schiff's Decca effort and Hewitt as the versions to acquire.  All I can say is that the reviewer must be an odd duck with poor taste (I'm overloading here some).

kishnevi

Quote from: Bulldog on February 28, 2012, 12:20:37 PM
In today's MusicWeb International set of reviews, there's a review of Gould's 1955 Goldberg Variations that the reviewer dumps on for 10 paragraphs.  In doing so, he holds up Perahia, Schiff's Decca effort and Hewitt as the versions to acquire.  All I can say is that the reviewer must be an odd duck with poor taste (I'm overloading here some).

I beg to differ.  I tend to agree with him on the faults in Gould's recording, which for me now is a great and wonderful recording that is more sui generis.  I play that recording because I like the overall result, regardless of the faults,  and I play it when I want to hear Bach played through the specific filter of Glenn Gould.  But my actual preferences in the GVs are Perahia and Hewitt.  (Schiff I have the Decca GVs--it's okay, but merely okay.)  When I want to point someone in the direction of Glenn Gould, I point them to the 1955 Goldbergs.  WHen I want to point someone to Bach, I point them elsewhere.

Bulldog

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 28, 2012, 07:16:14 PM
I beg to differ.  I tend to agree with him on the faults in Gould's recording, which for me now is a great and wonderful recording that is more sui generis.  I play that recording because I like the overall result, regardless of the faults,  and I play it when I want to hear Bach played through the specific filter of Glenn Gould.  But my actual preferences in the GVs are Perahia and Hewitt.  (Schiff I have the Decca GVs--it's okay, but merely okay.)  When I want to point someone in the direction of Glenn Gould, I point them to the 1955 Goldbergs.  WHen I want to point someone to Bach, I point them elsewhere.

No problem.  As a registered Libertarian, I'll defend your right to be wrong. ;D

Kontrapunctus

I like Sergei Edelmann's Bach recital. Wonderful playing and sound, especially on a multi-channel SACD system.

Scion7

Sviatoslav Richter, rec. 1973 - WTC Bk II - mine is on MHS - with surfaces that are far, far better than Capitol/Melodiya's was!
Pretty label, noisy LP!!  These have been re-issued several times on CD, and currently there is a 2-CD set of these recordings on Amazon.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Clever Hans

Quote from: Bulldog on February 28, 2012, 08:04:43 PM
No problem.  As a registered Libertarian, I'll defend your right to be wrong. ;D

Bach on the piano is much like Libertarianism.
A nice idea, but does not really work in reality.    :)

Bulldog

Quote from: jlaurson on February 29, 2012, 03:39:11 PM
If Libertarianism doesn't "work in reality", it's because why would anyone in power reduce their power for the benefit of the many.

For the good of the country - just requires a few patriots. :)

Clever Hans

Quote from: jlaurson on February 29, 2012, 03:39:11 PM
If Libertarianism doesn't "work in reality", it's because why would anyone in power reduce their power for the benefit of the many.
So you're almost half right.

Are you talking about big gov't or CEOs of health insurance companies and their lobby?

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Clever Hans on February 29, 2012, 04:05:28 PM
Are you talking about big gov't or CEOs of health insurance companies and their lobby?

We're supposed to be talking Bach on the piano...

Leo K.

[asin]B00008OP29[/asin]

I'm finally feeling ready for Tureck's Bach. I've had her 1953 set for many years, but always have a difficult time listening all the way through, but I figured my perception would change with more experience with the WTC, and this appears to be the case while listening to Book II on the BBC Legends series. Wow, what a great, serious apollonian quality Tureck brings to the table. I am listening to this after hearing Gould's Book II yesterday, the differences are illuminating and facsinating.

I am also captivated by Zhu Xiao-Mei's Book II and look forward to listening to her Book 1, which I just purchased.

[asin]B0038ZGLJI[/asin]

As anyone heard her Book I yet?

Coopmv

Quote from: Leo K on March 03, 2012, 06:53:24 AM
[asin]B00008OP29[/asin]

I'm finally feeling ready for Tureck's Bach. I've had her 1953 set for many years, but always have a difficult time listening all the way through, but I figured my perception would change with more experience with the WTC, and this appears to be the case while listening to Book II on the BBC Legends series. Wow, what a great, serious apollonian quality Tureck brings to the table. I am listening to this after hearing Gould's Book II yesterday, the differences are illuminating and facsinating.

I am also captivated by Zhu Xiao-Mei's Book II and look forward to listening to her Book 1, which I just purchased.

[asin]B0038ZGLJI[/asin]

As anyone heard her Book I yet?

But do you like the following set?  I think it is an excellent set, which I added to my Bach collection a few years back ...

Leo K.

Quote from: Coopmv on March 03, 2012, 06:08:16 PM
But do you like the following set?  I think it is an excellent set, which I added to my Bach collection a few years back ...

I do love that set, a monumental set, and the one that has taken me along time to appreciate. I returned to her 1953 set yesterday and find it a fascinating account of WTC.

This morning I am listening to her book 1 from BBC Legends, which sounds on the same level:

My god, her Bach is truly noble, elevated in spirit, an exalted ideal, and seemingly with a high purpose.

Coopmv

Quote from: Leo K on March 04, 2012, 05:35:23 AM
I do love that set, a monumental set, and the one that has taken me along time to appreciate. I returned to her 1953 set yesterday and find it a fascinating account of WTC.

This morning I am listening to her book 1 from BBC Legends, which sounds on the same level:

My god, her Bach is truly noble, elevated in spirit, an exalted ideal, and seemingly with a high purpose.

Is the BBC Legends recording in stereo?  The DG set is monaural.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 18, 2012, 11:45:14 AM
Hantaï  - that sounds interesting. A report from you about [Hantai] the recital would be appreciated. :)

Well, the concert hall (Salle Gaveau)  was freezing cold and about one third full. He was obviously disturbed right from the start when he saw someone taking photos, and he signalled to stop. After the initial pieces (Byrd) he politely asked the guy to stop. Result: the guy  became offensive ("people have already started to walk out of the concert", " all this fuss just for a photo" . . .) Hantai was evidently disturbed and it showed when he played the Bach. The overture sounded angry. But he'd calmed down by the time he came to the Sarabande and the Meunuets were fantastic -- with a wonderful sense of dialogue between the voices. Generally I was stuck by two things. First, at times the Bach was very busy with ornamentation. And second, he had a way of highlighting dissonances which I hadn't noticed before. The best bits  for me was the Byrd and an unidentified L Couperin prelude and chaconne and that Bach menuet and Sarabande.  I love everything I hear by Byrd though!

Quote from: Verena on February 18, 2012, 08:29:33 AM
I hope you enjoy the concert! She [Zhu Xiao-Mei ] can be terrific, I think. I enjoy her Haydn and also part of her recent Mozart recording.

I heard her play a Mozart fantasy and a Haydn sonata. She played D960   but I had to leave early so I missed it. I thought she was frankly mediocre. She's got a very rich and burnished tone though. In both the Mozart and the Haydn contrasts and drama were resolutely avoided. The result was beautiful, rich and trivial. In Haydn especially she seemed to have nothing at all to say: no wit, no intensity, just a sort of warm comfortable mellow burnished sound.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Leo K.

Quote from: Mandryka on April 01, 2012, 10:05:06 PM
Well, the concert hall (Salle Gaveau)  was freezing cold and about one third full. He was obviously disturbed right from the start when he saw someone taking photos, and he signalled to stop. After the initial pieces (Byrd) he politely asked the guy to stop. Result: the guy  became offensive ("people have already started to walk out of the concert", " all this fuss just for a photo" . . .) Hantai was evidently disturbed and it showed when he played the Bach. The overture sounded angry. But he'd calmed down by the time he came to the Sarabande and the Meunuets were fantastic -- with a wonderful sense of dialogue between the voices. Generally I was stuck by two things. First, at times the Bach was very busy with ornamentation. And second, he had a way of highlighting dissonances which I hadn't noticed before. The best bits  for me was the Byrd and an unidentified L Couperin prelude and chaconne and that Bach menuet and Sarabande.  I love everything I hear by Byrd though!

I heard her play a Mozart fantasy and a Haydn sonata. She played D960   but I had to leave early so I missed it. I thought she was frankly mediocre. She's got a very rich and burnished tone though. In both the Mozart and the Haydn contrasts and drama were resolutely avoided. The result was beautiful, rich and trivial. In Haydn especially she seemed to have nothing at all to say: no wit, no intensity, just a sort of warm comfortable mellow burnished sound.

Thanks for your thoughts, especially regarding Zhu Xiao-Mei. The tone of her performances of those works are qualities I would highly enjoy, it sounds like a great concert!