Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)

Started by vandermolen, April 19, 2007, 04:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Jo498 on May 25, 2023, 10:52:54 PMI don't know that much by Bloch, the piece I remember and like best is the first piano quintet, but I also liked all of the quartets in the Griller set (5th is missing, I have not heard that one). Not yet heard the violin concerto.

The 1st Piano Quintet is a scorching masterpiece, my overall favorite work by Bloch as well as one of the greatest chamber works of the 20th century IMO. I'm not as keen on the Violin Concerto as some - it strikes me as somewhat generic "Hollywood-biblical-modal" (yes, I know Bloch came before the film scores ;)) and without the keen dramatic edge of Bloch's finest works. Also, it doesn't help that the main theme of one of the movements is a bit too close to comfort to that of the Dvorak Cello Concerto's 1st movement! But I'm being overly picky...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Was recently listening to this fabulous disc:

Evocations (1937) and the Trois Poèmes Juifs (1911-13) are two orchestral triptychs which show Bloch at the height of his powers, with masterful command over a large orchestra and in creating a variety of colorful and gripping atmospheres. Of particular note is the brilliantly dramatic second movement of Evocations, with its climactic buildups and generous swats on the tam-tam/gong  (can't remember which) creating a legendary, warlike atmosphere. In fact, the whole work would make excellent background music to a documentary about ancient imperial Japan or China, given its rather special "Asian" flavoring!

I can't profess quite the same level of admiration for the late, rather acerbic Symphony in E-flat (1955), but it's still a cogently written work that shows Bloch constantly experimenting with new styles near the end of his life. Anyone familiar with his Sinfonia Breve which dates from around the same time? As far as I know, it's only been recorded once, by Doráti on Mercury Living Presence.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: kyjo on May 25, 2023, 07:43:28 PMNow, my question is: what do you think about it? ;)

I think that it's a good piece. Not the best one, but still good.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2023, 08:49:19 AMWas recently listening to this fabulous disc:

Evocations (1937) and the Trois Poèmes Juifs (1911-13) are two orchestral triptychs which show Bloch at the height of his powers, with masterful command over a large orchestra and in creating a variety of colorful and gripping atmospheres. Of particular note is the brilliantly dramatic second movement of Evocations, with its climactic buildups and generous swats on the tam-tam/gong  (can't remember which) creating a legendary, warlike atmosphere. In fact, the whole work would make excellent background music to a documentary about ancient imperial Japan or China, given its rather special "Asian" flavoring!

I can't profess quite the same level of admiration for the late, rather acerbic Symphony in E-flat (1955), but it's still a cogently written work that shows Bloch constantly experimenting with new styles near the end of his life. Anyone familiar with his Sinfonia Breve which dates from around the same time? As far as I know, it's only been recorded once, by Doráti on Mercury Living Presence.

Indeed, a most terrific CD! Unlike you, I find the Symphony in E-flat an intriguing and rewarding piece despite its more advanced style.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2023, 08:49:19 AMWas recently listening to this fabulous disc:

Totally agree with you Kyle (as is often the case  :) ) Trois Poems Juifs (Sedares) is being reissued with Abravanel's 'Israel Symphony' and Schelomo soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 28, 2023, 10:08:13 AMIndeed, a most terrific CD! Unlike you, I find the Symphony in E-flat an intriguing and rewarding piece despite its more advanced style.
Terrific Indeed Cesar! Although I prefer the earlier Symphony in C sharp minor.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 28, 2023, 10:08:13 AMIndeed, a most terrific CD! Unlike you, I find the Symphony in E-flat an intriguing and rewarding piece despite its more advanced style.

I, too, like the Symphony in E-flat.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 09, 2023, 04:36:09 PMI, too, like the Symphony in E-flat.

All of his five symphonies are significantly strong and engrossing, even the lesser known ones (Sinfonia brevis and Symphony for trombone/cello and orchestra).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

Because they're not numbered in the traditional way, I always thought the C-sharp was his only symphony.