The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Charles Villiers Stanford

(1/14) > >>

tjguitar:
We were talking about Stanford in another thread, I don't recall which, but I felt the composer deserved his own.

I haven't ventured out into his choral music, but am pleased with two sets that I have of his orchestral music:

I really enjoy the piano concerto which reminds me of Rachmaninov, the concert variations are fun too. I prefer the rhapsodies to the symphonies overall, but that's no slack on the symphonies.  I wish there was more of his orchestral output on disc, though I'm not sure how much else he composed?  I have not ventured out into his chamber music yet.

edit: I forgot to ask, does anyone have the following disc?:

Is it similar to his 2nd Concerto or a much different composition?

Thanks
TJ

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: tjguitar on May 19, 2007, 08:06:45 PM ---We were talking about Stanford in another thread, I don't recall which, but I felt the composer deserved his own.

edit: I forgot to ask, does anyone have the following disc?:

Is it similar to his 2nd Concerto or a much different composition?

--- End quote ---

TJ - I own that Hyperion disc of the Parry & Stanford Piano Concertos (probably have at least a dozen of the CDs in this Romantic piano series) - fine performances, but these are the only compositions that are in my collection of these composers - I've not heard the 2nd Concerto, so can't comment specifically.  :)

vandermolen:
I have both discs. The idiom is similar in both concertos. I prefer the Irish Rhapsodies (espec. No 4) and the fine Irish Symphony.

71 dB:
Thanks to Mark I listened yesterday Stanford's Piano Quintet & String Quintet 1.

Nice music.  :) I found the music organised and little stanford-offish.  ;D

That Hyperion disc has excellent sound!

JoshLilly:
I got an opportunity to get the complete Chandos set of Stanford's symphonies, used, and took advantage. My only inkling of what I might expect was based off the Stanford+Parry CD from The Romantic Piano Concerto series. I liked both of those piano concerti at least a little, so thought I might take a chance without too much expense.

Stanford is a bit odd. I like almost all the material he uses as it is introduced, but unfortunately, every single one of the seven symphonies feels too long for me. Not only that, but every movement! That being said, though, I at least like all 7 of them. I'm kinda neutral to the Clarinet Concerto. I guess my favourite symphony might be #4.

Better than the symphonies, I really enjoy the tuneful, well-crafted orchestral Irish Rhapsodies! I can't believe I've gone so long without ever hearing them; I don't even remember hearing of them until a couple of months ago. What he does with the themes makes for real fun listening.

The CD liner notes for the set are on the skimpy side, and I'm having a hard time finding out much about these works in particular. I'd be interested in reading more detail, or just opinions. In any case, all told, I'm pretty happy with getting this set, there's lots of really good stuff here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version