The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Charles Villiers Stanford

<< < (14/14)

amw:
No. 6 is the only symphony I rate. Neither of the two recordings is completely satisfactory, but I can’t tell if that’s the fault of overly timid interpretations or simply bad orchestration. The music seems comparable to early Strauss or early Elgar both in character and in quality, but slightly closer to the former (eg pieces like the violin and cello sonatas, violin concerto, Aus Italien etc).

aligreto:
I recently re-listened to Stanford's Irish Rhapsodies [Handley]

Irish Rhapsody No. 1
This is a fine, well executed work. Stanford weaves Irish folk music into a, then, modern sounding idiom. The music still sounds energetic and fresh in this presentation. The orchestration is very fine.

Irish Rhapsody No. 2
This music is very lyrical and I like its dark hues. The wonderful tone is crafted by the use of dynamics, wonderful harmonies and counterpoint, rich scoring filled with drama and tension and fine pacing. The orchestration is very fine and rich but it is never dense. This is a wonderfully multi-textured work. Handly has a very good feel for this music and it is given very fine treatment here.

Irish Rhapsody No. 3 
This is a very lyrical work. It is also a cell concertante work. Both elements combine wonderfully here. The music is both expansive and intense. There is a wonderfully natural flow to the cello line which is exciting and spirited. 

Irish Rhapsody No. 4 
I really like the tone and atmosphere of this work. The music is beguiling and very captivating. The scoring is wonderful and, as the music progresses, it becomes more expansive and atmospheric. The music is in a constant state of flux and the various changes in tone, pacing, atmosphere and levels of both tension and drama are always very compelling. This is wonderful music and music making. The levels of intensity are very engrossing. This work, and presentation, has a powerful presence.

Irish Rhapsody No. 5 
I find the tone of this work to be a curious mixture of the upbeat grounded on the disconcerting. The essentially joyful themes are not fully unleashed; something is, curiously, holding it back which I find to be quite intriguing. I find the central, slow, section to be quite idyllic yet still poignant. However, all is resolved at the conclusion. The harmonies and scoring are very fine and effective.

Irish Rhapsody No. 6 
I find that the emotionally charged concertante music of the opening section is wonderfully engaging with its relatively sparse but very effective orchestral accompaniment. I like the gradual augmentation in the orchestral forces as the work progresses. The work concludes on a jubilant and positive note. 

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: aligreto on November 28, 2021, 08:47:17 AM ---I recently re-listened to Stanford's Irish Rhapsodies [Handley]

Irish Rhapsody No. 1
This is a fine, well executed work. Stanford weaves Irish folk music into a, then, modern sounding idiom. The music still sounds energetic and fresh in this presentation. The orchestration is very fine.

Irish Rhapsody No. 2
This music is very lyrical and I like its dark hues. The wonderful tone is crafted by the use of dynamics, wonderful harmonies and counterpoint, rich scoring filled with drama and tension and fine pacing. The orchestration is very fine and rich but it is never dense. This is a wonderfully multi-textured work. Handly has a very good feel for this music and it is given very fine treatment here.

Irish Rhapsody No. 3 
This is a very lyrical work. It is also a cell concertante work. Both elements combine wonderfully here. The music is both expansive and intense. There is a wonderfully natural flow to the cello line which is exciting and spirited. 

Irish Rhapsody No. 4 
I really like the tone and atmosphere of this work. The music is beguiling and very captivating. The scoring is wonderful and, as the music progresses, it becomes more expansive and atmospheric. The music is in a constant state of flux and the various changes in tone, pacing, atmosphere and levels of both tension and drama are always very compelling. This is wonderful music and music making. The levels of intensity are very engrossing. This work, and presentation, has a powerful presence.

Irish Rhapsody No. 5 
I find the tone of this work to be a curious mixture of the upbeat grounded on the disconcerting. The essentially joyful themes are not fully unleashed; something is, curiously, holding it back which I find to be quite intriguing. I find the central, slow, section to be quite idyllic yet still poignant. However, all is resolved at the conclusion. The harmonies and scoring are very fine and effective.

Irish Rhapsody No. 6 
I find that the emotionally charged concertante music of the opening section is wonderfully engaging with its relatively sparse but very effective orchestral accompaniment. I like the gradual augmentation in the orchestral forces as the work progresses. The work concludes on a jubilant and positive note.

--- End quote ---
Interesting survey Fergus. I think that No.4 is especially impressive. I noticed today that No.3 was included in the Chandos two CD release of British Cello Concertos.

aligreto:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on November 28, 2021, 09:49:32 AM ---Interesting survey Fergus. I think that No.4 is especially impressive. I noticed today that No.3 was included in the Chandos two CD release of British Cello Concertos.

--- End quote ---

A bit of a stretch, methinks.

aligreto:
I recently finished this set with the two works below:

Piano Concerto No. 2 [Fingerhut/Handley]: This work opens with a bang, literally. I find the opening movement to be very powerful with a great presence. This presentation of the first movement is frequently animated and always robust and assertive. The slow movement is also very lyrically but robustly, and eloquently, presented here with no sentimentality involved. The final movement here is an ardent, assertive affair. Both conductor and soloist are always in full control of their respective roles throughout this very fine performance. It is also a fine recording as far as  sound quality is concerned.

Down Among the Dead Men [Fingerhut/Handley]: This is my first time hearing this work. I was very impressed with both the work and this presentation. I find the work to be very interesting and engaging, musically. Intense and powerful, the work has a great presence. The performance from all concerned is lyrical but robust, assertive and always atmospheric.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version