Author Topic: Charles Villiers Stanford  (Read 13861 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: Charles Villiers Stanford
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2021, 08:59:09 AM »
Nos. 3 and 6 are the definite standouts for me - even nos. 4 and 5 didn’t really grab me. I do recall enjoying the finale of no. 1 with its catchy main theme.

The 5th has some gorgeous music. The ending is quite uplifting.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2021, 10:28:50 AM »

I have to slightly step back from my earlier comments!  The disc I was listening to was the Handley recording of the 2nd & 3rd Symphonies and I wrote my comment after No.2 only.  Today I completed the disc and did enjoy No.3 a lot.  I still find the bare-faced quote from Brahms intriguing! Was Stanford thinking "If Brahms can 'quote' Beethoven in a symphony I can quote Brahms!"  Whatever the reason it sounds pretty glorious. Helped as ever by those vintage Chandos recordings from the Ulster Hall in Belfast.  The acoustic there gives a warmth and ring to the orchestra that suits the music to a tee.

Jeffrey mentioned enjoying Watts as an artist.  Many forum readers will know the Watts Gallery tucked in the hill next to the A3 in Surrey.  If not its well worth a visit - a curious oasis of Victorian ethos so close to a bustling main road to London! The italianate chapel down the hill is a minor wonder/folly too!

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
Re-post from the listening thread - the attached reviews of Lloyd-Jones are excellent - Dave :)

Stanford, Charles Villiers (1852-1924) - Symphonies w/ Vernon Handley and the Ulster Orchestra recorded 1987-1991 - I've been listening to Stanford's chamber works most of the week; will spend the afternoon and tomorrow on his symphonies, composed between 1876-1911 - listening on headphones - sound is excellent for these 30+ year old recordings (DDD) - the main competition is shown below, right, i.e. David Lloyd-Jones and the Bournemouth SO on Naxos in 4 volumes - I could find numerous reviews of the Naxos recordings (attached) but virtually none searching Fanfare, MusicWeb, AllMusic, and ClassicsToday for Handley; BUT, the reviews virtually always make mention of comparisons to Handley, which in my reading seems to be a 'toss up' although the more recent Naxos sound may have an edge at times?  Just made a Spotify playlist of the 4 Lloyd-Jones recordings and will give a listen.  Dave :)

P.S. Naxos should box these up in a 'thin' package, but likely if done will just put 4 single jewel cases together, their usually approach!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2021, 11:14:09 AM »
3 and 5 are my favourite + the Irish Rhapsody No.4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2021, 11:27:42 AM »
I have to slightly step back from my earlier comments!  The disc I was listening to was the Handley recording of the 2nd & 3rd Symphonies and I wrote my comment after No.2 only.  Today I completed the disc and did enjoy No.3 a lot.  I still find the bare-faced quote from Brahms intriguing! Was Stanford thinking "If Brahms can 'quote' Beethoven in a symphony I can quote Brahms!"  Whatever the reason it sounds pretty glorious. Helped as ever by those vintage Chandos recordings from the Ulster Hall in Belfast.  The acoustic there gives a warmth and ring to the orchestra that suits the music to a tee.

Jeffrey mentioned enjoying Watts as an artist.  Many forum readers will know the Watts Gallery tucked in the hill next to the A3 in Surrey.  If not its well worth a visit - a curious oasis of Victorian ethos so close to a bustling main road to London! The italianate chapel down the hill is a minor wonder/folly too!

Oh, I've been to the Watts Gallery and Chapel many times (my in-laws live quite near to it). RS is right, it's well worth a visit. I even sent one of my History of Art students there to research for her A Level coursework (the Curator was very helpful). Watts was an interesting character. He went to visit friends for the weekend and stayed for 40 years! His painting 'Hope' is one of my favourites and, in a few weeks time, I hope to visit his statue of Tennyson (with his dog) outside Lincoln Cathedral:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:29:50 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2021, 01:06:44 PM »
No. 6 is the only symphony I rate. Neither of the two recordings is completely satisfactory, but I can’t tell if that’s the fault of overly timid interpretations or simply bad orchestration. The music seems comparable to early Strauss or early Elgar both in character and in quality, but slightly closer to the former (eg pieces like the violin and cello sonatas, violin concerto, Aus Italien etc).