What Would be Some Interesting Subjects For New Operas ?

Started by Superhorn, November 15, 2008, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Talking of comic operas, I bet Some Like It Hot would make a fun comic opera in the 19th-century style, with lots of hiding behind columns and talking to the audience in asides.

Anne

Quote from: Wendell_E on November 16, 2008, 03:44:42 AM
There are at least three operas about Rasputin, the last tsar (you're right, Nicolas II), and the tsar's family:

Einojuhani Rautavaara's Rasputin premiered at the Finnish National Opera in 2005, and is available on DVD with the original cast, including Matti Salminen in the title role.  I rented it from Netflix some time ago, and found it worth a second viewing, but I didn't run out and get a copy of my own.

Deborah Dratell's Nicholas and Alexandra premiered in 2003 at Los Angeles Opera, with Plácido Domingo (!) as Rasputin.  At the time, Domingo said it'd also be released on DVD, but that never happened, and from the reviews I've read, that's just as well.

Jay Reise's Rasputin premiered at the New York City Opera in 1988 with John Cheek in the title role, and as far as I know, was never heard of again.

Wendell, thank you for the 3 operas you mentioned.  I will try to find them.

Lethevich

An Inspector Calls would be a feasable choice. Not too much action, but wordy operas have worked before.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe on November 20, 2008, 02:20:12 AM
Not too much action, but wordy operas have worked before.
What about My Dinner with Andre or Waiting for Godot;D

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Wanderer

Quote from: Szykniej on March 29, 2009, 06:18:43 PM
How about ...

It ain't over 'til the dead budgie sings:
How a talkative bird and his mistress inspired an opera

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1165771/It-aint-til-dead-budgie-sings-How-talkative-bird-mistress-inspired-opera.html?ITO=1490

It defies everyone's imagination here so far, doesn't it? I'd be interested in listening to this sometime. I love budgies almost as much as I love opera.  8)

ChamberNut