Carl Czerny (1791-1857) - Prolific but Forgotten!

Started by SonicMan46, November 17, 2008, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Carl Czerny (1791-1857) - just obtained my 2nd CD of this composer, who was a pupil of Beethoven and a teacher of Liszt; unfortunately, he became remembered as a pedagogue for his piano teachings and compositions devoted to that purpose; short Wiki Bio Here - however, despite his reputation as writing just music for 'piano lessons', he was a tremendous prolific composer, much of his work remaining unknown and not recorded!  A list of 860+ Opus numbers can be found HERE - take a look!  :D

Currently, I have just two CDs of this man's works - one w/ several Symphonies & another w/ chamber works - both are shown below - so would appreciate comments on this composer & any specific recommendations - thanks!   :)

SonicMan46

Well, no responses yet, so I'll get the 'ball rolling' - just received a small package from BRO of Helios discs @ $5 each, including:

Carl Czerny - Horn & Fortepiano Music w/ Andrew Clark on a natural horn for most of the disc & Geoffrey Govier on a restored fortepiano from 1839; over 50 mins of the recording includes Brillante Fantasie, Op. 339, Nos. 1-3 - these are basically transcriptions of Schubert melodies for horn & piano - both performers are enthusiastic and the playing is well integrated - Clark on the horn is a delight in this music; the repertoire is certainly different, but for those curious in 'what' a natural horn can do, this CD may be for you?  For a brief review, check out THESE COMMENTS; also, HYPERION HERE provides a complete listing of the works performed, some brief reviews, and the chance to listen to brief snippets -  :D

Hollywood

I have never heard any of Carl Czerny's compositions but I have seen his grave site many times during my many walks through Vienna's Central Cemetery. It's located not far from Salieri's grave.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

SonicMan46

Hollywood - thanks for the picture above - unlike Mozart, at least we know where Czerny is located -  :D

Of course, I'm assuming that his remains are indeed there beneath the monument -   8)

BTW, is that a can of beer on the ledge?  ;)

Hollywood

Quote from: SonicMan on November 19, 2008, 06:11:32 AM
Hollywood - thanks for the picture above - unlike Mozart, at least we know where Czerny is located -  :D

Of course, I'm assuming that his remains are indeed there beneath the monument -   8)

BTW, is that a can of beer on the ledge?  ;)

No SonicMan, that is not a can of beer. It's a grave site votive candle.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 17, 2008, 07:06:01 PM
Carl Czerny (1791-1857) - just obtained my 2nd CD of this composer, who was a pupil of Beethoven and a teacher of Liszt; unfortunately, he became remembered as a pedagogue for his piano teachings and compositions devoted to that purpose; short Wiki Bio Here - however, despite his reputation as writing just music for 'piano lessons', he was a tremendous prolific composer, much of his work remaining unknown and not recorded!  A list of 860+ Opus numbers can be found HERE - take a look!  :D

Currently, I have just two CDs of this man's works - one w/ several Symphonies & another w/ chamber works - both are shown below - so would appreciate comments on this composer & any specific recommendations - thanks!   :)

[asin]B001IO15FG [/asin]

Finally collected all three volumes of Martin Jones's Czerny cycle.

Incredible music, very flashy at times, but also moments of peace and reflection. VERY interesting to study Czerny's sonatas alongside other not-very-well-known sonatas of the early 19th century.

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Leo K on March 17, 2012, 07:28:26 AM
Finally collected all three volumes of Martin Jones's Czerny cycle.

Incredible music, very flashy at times, but also moments of peace and reflection. VERY interesting to study Czerny's sonatas alongside other not-very-well-known sonatas of the early 19th century.

8)
Lucky you! I have the first two volumes so far and have wishlisted the third. That goodness for Martin Jones. There is still a lot of Czerny that has never been recorded, and I hope more of it will be.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Leo K.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 17, 2012, 07:38:48 AM
Lucky you! I have the first two volumes so far and have wishlisted the third. That goodness for Martin Jones. There is still a lot of Czerny that has never been recorded, and I hope more of it will be.

I'm listening to the first disk at the moment, the Sonata no.8 in Eb major...wow, an incredible Schubert-like journey, in epic scope. Listen to that Adagio! My feeling is brightened by this music, so powerfully played by Martin Jones.

I love discovering a composer in the early 19th century writing on a large canvas like Schubert did in his sonatas. I love all the different musical expressions Czerny writes in a journey through a piano sonata. In Sonata no.8, and elsewhere (as I've read in musicweb reviews) Czerny places hints of salon music here and there within the drama, again reminding me of Schubert, and I LOVE that sound!

SonicMan46

Leo & Neal - thanks for bringing this undeservedly SHORT thread TTT!  :D

Since my last post on his Horn & Fortepiano works, I've not purchased any other recordings despite his large output (of course much of which remains unrecored) - truly a forgotten prolific composer from an interesting time in music history!  Hope others will join in w/ recommendations; for myself, I'll take a look on Amazon tonight to see what else might be available that will be of interest - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Just spent a little time on Amazon looking at the Czerny offerings - sad to report that there is just not that much available!  :-\

Martin Jones is doing a 'Piano Sonatas' series (first volume below) which I assume that Leo has obtained a number of the initial ones - looking forward to his comments - I can imagine this coming out as an inexpensive box set?

Another interesting 3-disc set is shown below (right) - seems to be mainly string works, including several SQs - don't know the label nor the performers, plus there are no reviews on Amazon at the moment - OH WELL?

Not sure that we'll see much from this composer in the upcoming years unless some label decides to make it a goal?   :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 17, 2012, 04:42:46 PM
Just spent a little time on Amazon looking at the Czerny offerings - sad to report that there is just not that much available!  :-\

Martin Jones is doing a 'Piano Sonatas' series (first volume below) which I assume that Leo has obtained a number of the initial ones - looking forward to his comments - I can imagine this coming out as an inexpensive box set?

Another interesting 3-disc set is shown below (right) - seems to be mainly string works, including several SQs - don't know the label nor the performers, plus there are no reviews on Amazon at the moment - OH WELL?

Not sure that we'll see much from this composer in the upcoming years unless some label decides to make it a goal?   :)

I believe that Nimbus was only planning to do three volumes, so I don't think there will be more. The Discovered Genius set is, as described by Amazon: "a set of live performances from the world s first Carl Czerny Music Festival, held in 2002." I have it on my wishlist, but it is relatively expensive at the moment.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Leo K.

I listened to Czerny's B Minor sonata from Martin Jone's Vol.1 this morning, and AGAIN was very taken by the whole work, especially the adagio.

8)

Madiel

Hmm.

I would actually be interested to hear what listeners think of Czerny's non-pedagogical work and whether it's of value.

As a person who navigated Czerny studies as a student pianist, it's not just that he subjected me to studies, it's that he subjected me to studies that were really dull as pieces of music.  Because I have strong memories of then trying the Etudes of Ignaz Moscheles (and also, on my own time, Stephen Heller) and thinking "wow! A study can also work as a piece of music!" precisely because Czerny's studies were so uninspiring.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Leo K.

Quote from: orfeo on March 25, 2012, 06:23:27 PM
Hmm.

I would actually be interested to hear what listeners think of Czerny's non-pedagogical work and whether it's of value.

As a person who navigated Czerny studies as a student pianist, it's not just that he subjected me to studies, it's that he subjected me to studies that were really dull as pieces of music.  Because I have strong memories of then trying the Etudes of Ignaz Moscheles (and also, on my own time, Stephen Heller) and thinking "wow! A study can also work as a piece of music!" precisely because Czerny's studies were so uninspiring.

There is Czerny the teacher, Czerny the supplier of quaint pieces for the family parlor, and Czerny the serious composer...

This thread has wonderful recordings to recommend on Czerny's non-pedagogical work  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on March 26, 2012, 09:16:46 AM
There is Czerny the teacher, Czerny the supplier of quaint pieces for the family parlor, and Czerny the serious composer...

This thread has wonderful recordings to recommend on Czerny's non-pedagogical work  8)

Hi Leo - thanks for your comments!  :)

I'm amazed that although I started this thread in 2008 that it has been nearly 4 years before some enthusiastic responses - and so undeservedly  for this composer - I'd love to acquire some more of his recordings and will look into those suggested, BUT there seems to be little interest despite his prolific output - OH WELL -  :-\

SonicMan46

Again TTT - and since my last (and only third disc) acquisition of Czerny's music in 2008, I have just added the 2-CD String Quartet set which is excellent and highly recommended - attached is a combo PDF file which includes a review by Jerry Dubins in the most recent issue of Fanfare - he wants to put this on his '2015 Wish List' - if interested in this composer's non-KB work, then these performances are worth exploring.

NOW, I'm looking at the 'Sonata Sets' w/ Martin Jones - :)  Dave

Ras

I'm a sucker for nocturnes, so I like this one:
Isabelle Oehmichen on piano. The first pianist to record all of Czerny' nocturnes.
[asin]B00KTK455M[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Ras on October 27, 2018, 07:22:52 AM
I'm a sucker for nocturnes, so I like this one:
Isabelle Oehmichen on piano. The first pianist to record all of Czerny' nocturnes.

Thanks for the mention of the Czerny Nocturnes disc - pricey on Amazon USA except for the MP3, plus I cannot find any non-Amazonian reviews - your thoughts? 

Since my last post, I've added the Piano Concertos shown above w/ the prolific Howard Shelley and the first 2 volumes (2 discs each) of Martin Jones on Nimbus - the 3rd volume seems to be OOP (i.e. expensive on Amazon); also, just reviewed Amazon and believe that I'll put the Flute/Piano CD shown above in my cart - reviews on the piano concertos and flute/piano recordings attached.  Dave :)

P.S.Well, I did find a review of the Nocturnes - new PDF attached w/ the addition for those interested.

Cato

Professor Karl Haas had a long-running radio show called Adventures in Good Music, and he was a great advocate of Carl Czerny's music.

https://www.youtube.com/v/zINDMdEfGjQ
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Zeus

Naxos has been releasing some piano concertante music of Czerny, all of which I think is fantastic!

[asin]B01DEAPLPG[/asin]

[asin]B00SCJIMLK[/asin]

[asin]B075VSQKN1[/asin]

So far, I haven't gotten past these piano concertos, but if his other music is as enjoyable, I'll be very happy indeed!

PS - My slight preference is in the order listed.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)