Which Schubert symphony set?

Started by eyeresist, November 20, 2008, 04:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which complete set of Schubert symphonies would you recommend?

Abbado
12 (28.6%)
Blomstedt
2 (4.8%)
Bohm
3 (7.1%)
Bruggen
4 (9.5%)
Davis
0 (0%)
Goodman
2 (4.8%)
Graf
0 (0%)
Harnoncourt
15 (35.7%)
Immerseel
3 (7.1%)
Karajan
3 (7.1%)
Kertesz
5 (11.9%)
Maag
1 (2.4%)
Maazel
0 (0%)
Marriner
2 (4.8%)
Menuhin (EMI)
0 (0%)
Menuhin (Warner)
0 (0%)
Muti
3 (7.1%)
Sawallisch
2 (4.8%)
Stein
0 (0%)
Suitner
2 (4.8%)
Vasary
1 (2.4%)
Zender
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Todd

Quote from: Jo498 on December 11, 2022, 11:08:34 AMAlthough even slower (I think) I like the later Vienna Bruckner and Brahms much better than most of the Chicago/LA. (I don't think I have heard any of Giulinis late Sony recordings.)

The Vienna Bruckner is very slow, and among the best out there.  The Ninth is one of the slowest available, approaching Celi, yet it is one of the most powerful and towering versions I've heard, basically the antithesis of Furtwangler in some ways, but just as hard-hitting.  I marginally prefer the LA Brahms 1 & 2 to the Vienna, but my memory suggests the Philharmonia Brahms has more pep.  I'd have to do a Giulini A/B/C to be sure.

Giulini's Sony recordings are almost all slower than earlier recordings, and in most cases they are not as good.  There are some exceptional performances among the Sony recordings - the Ravel orchestral works, the Schubert Mass, the Verdi sacred works, and the Dvorak all stick out in memory. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Gurn Blanston

I voted for Bruggen, of his various symphonic essays which I have enjoyed,  his Schubert is among my favorites.  I still haven't found a PI 9th to surpass Wand or Sinopoli though. 

🤠
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

amw

Brüggen, Minkowski. Gaigg is also not bad. I haven't heard Holliger and suspect it's good.

I'm not sure what the best recording of D944 is. The one I've listened to the most is Bernstein/New York, but it has some significant balance issues.

Spotted Horses

I voted Bruggen and Karajan, but Karajan would have to be a mixed cycle, with the recordings of 8 and 9 from the 1960's on DG and the rest from his EMI cycle. If I could have picked 3 it would have been Harnoncourt, substituting his earlier recording of the 8th with the Vienna Symphony.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Todd on December 11, 2022, 10:15:44 AMI think Brucknerian Schubert is a fair description.  That's why I like it.

As a general rule, I'd rather have my Bruckner Schubertian than my Schubert Brucknerian. :-)

Todd

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 12, 2022, 05:05:54 AMAs a general rule, I'd rather have my Bruckner Schubertian than my Schubert Brucknerian. :-)

This, sir, offends my delicate sensibilities.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya