Boulez's live Mahler 2nd, not commercially released

Started by imperfection, November 23, 2008, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imperfection

Hey GMG, does anybody have this recording, recorded live with the Vienna Philharmonic (the one M Forever posted before) ? I've been looking around for it but then it seems to be all uploads available were expired. If you have it, could you please kindly share that wonderful performance with us again? Thanks for your time!  :)

Edit: Here are the details of the performance, if it helps:

Gustav Mahler: Symphony no. 2
Christine Schäfer, soprano
Michelle de Young, mezzo-soprano
Singverein der Gesselschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra; Pierre Boulez
Performed in the Grossen Konzerthaussaal, Vienna, May 31, 2005
during the 2005 Vienna Festival
Broadcast on Ö1, June 12, 2005

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Keemun

Imperfection, I originally downloaded this from GMG and later posted it in SymphonyShare (Navneeth's link).  I re-posted it in the Broadcast Corner for you HERE.  I like this performance much better than Boulez's DG recording.
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Brünnhilde forever

There is a Mahler No. 2 available on EuroArts DVD which I love:

Boulez conducting Staatskapelle Berlin with Diana Damrau and Petra Lang, recorded March 2005.

not edward

The general consensus I've heard amongst people who've heard all three (this live recording, the DVD and the CD) is that the live recording posted here is the finest of the three. I know it would be a very easy first choice for me amongst recordings I've heard: Boulez's incredible attention to detail and clarity of line is matched by some truly eruptive playing in the finale.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Opus106

Quote from: edward on November 24, 2008, 07:43:16 AM
The general consensus I've heard amongst people who've heard all three (this live recording, the DVD and the CD) is that the live recording posted here is the finest of the three. I know it would be a very easy first choice for me amongst recordings I've heard: Boulez's incredible attention to detail and clarity of line is matched by some truly eruptive playing in the finale.

The darn recording got me hooked on to Mahler.
Regards,
Navneeth

imperfection

Thank you all so much, especially Keemun who took time to reupload it for me! I really appreciate it!  :)

Cheers

imperfection