No. 5
18 (25%)
No. 6 'Pathetique'
30 (41.7%)
'Manfred' Symphony
7 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Baxcalibur on May 09, 2024, 07:49:36 PMI would suggest that Haitink and the RCO are consistently excellent in just about anything, but maybe that is because I enjoy his conducting in general.

Anyway... I know it's not Tchaikovsky's best, but my favorite has always been No. 2. I first heard the 2nd movement, "andantino marziale" by itself on a compilation CD of marches. One day, as I was doing some homework, this symphony played on the radio. I started listening intently when the march began, and it was quite a thrill to finally hear the entire piece.

To this day, Tchaikovsky's 2nd reminds me of childhood, but it also stands out for its freshness, especially compared to Nos. 4-6. Greater works, and yet there is something missing. I suppose that is how life goes.
I haven't listened to it in ages, but now have it on YT.  Personally, I have a soft spot for his first one (perhaps due in part to its name..."Winter Daydreams").  Do you, by the way, happen to know how it came up with the name "Ukrainian"?

As an aside, your user name made me crack up!  Very clever!  :)

PD

p.s.  If I didn't say it earlier, welcome to the forum!
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I'm going to dip my toes into the Muti set... I might have heard it before, I don't recall.  But if I don't even remember then it might as well be a first listen!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2024, 10:24:18 AMI haven't listened to it in ages, but now have it on YT.  Personally, I have a soft spot for his first one (perhaps due in part to its name..."Winter Daydreams").  Do you, by the way, happen to know how it came up with the name "Ukrainian"?

PD

Tchaikovsky used melodies of Ukrainian folk songs in this symphony. Most of the symphony was written when the composer was visiting relatives in the Ukrainian town of Kamianka. By the way, Tchaikovsky had Ukrainian roots on his father's side.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on May 10, 2024, 11:39:47 AMI'm going to dip my toes into the Muti set... I might have heard it before, I don't recall.  But if I don't even remember then it might as well be a first listen!

You absolutely can't go wrong with it. It's my firm recommendation for anyone needing only one such set. (Which is the case of neither you nor me).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on May 10, 2024, 11:59:00 AMTchaikovsky used melodies of Ukrainian folk songs in this symphony. Most of the symphony was written when the composer was visiting relatives in the Ukrainian town of Kamianka. By the way, Tchaikovsky had Ukrainian roots on his father's side.
Thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Baxcalibur

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2024, 10:24:18 AMI haven't listened to it in ages, but now have it on YT.  Personally, I have a soft spot for his first one (perhaps due in part to its name..."Winter Daydreams").  Do you, by the way, happen to know how it came up with the name "Ukrainian"?

PD

AnotherSpin beat me to it, but yes, I knew.

Baxcalibur is the creature in my avatar, from the Pokemon series. I chose it because of a certain composer, as you might've guessed.

Thanks for the welcome! It's been too long since I've posted here.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2024, 04:36:02 PMThanks!

PD

I know only a few well-known bits about Tchaikovsky, in particular the fact that his great-grandfather was a Ukrainian cossack Fyodor Chaika (чайка=seagull) Perhaps, he resembled one of the characters in the famous painting by artist Ilya Repin.

Iota

Quote from: AnotherSpin on May 10, 2024, 08:42:49 PMI know only a few well-known bits about Tchaikovsky, in particular the fact that his great-grandfather was a Ukrainian cossack Fyodor Chaika (чайка=seagull) Perhaps, he resembled one of the characters in the famous painting by artist Ilya Repin.

What an excellent painting that is.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Iota on May 11, 2024, 06:18:02 AMWhat an excellent painting that is.

Ilya Repin was one of the most interesting artists in the former Russian Empire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Repin

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on May 10, 2024, 11:39:47 AMI'm going to dip my toes into the Muti set... I might have heard it before, I don't recall.  But if I don't even remember then it might as well be a first listen!

I spent hours listening to music last night and one thing really stood out!  Muti in the Manfred.  Knock your socks off great.  More passion than I have ever heard in this symphony... it is so, so good!

Iota

Quote from: AnotherSpin on May 11, 2024, 06:41:07 AMIlya Repin was one of the most interesting artists in the former Russian Empire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Repin

Thanks. The only ones I know are (rather predictably) the portraits of Mussorgsky and Glinka, but will be taking a much closer look at Repin now. 

VonStupp

Quote from: DavidW on May 11, 2024, 07:45:28 AMI spent hours listening to music last night and one thing really stood out!  Muti in the Manfred.  Knock your socks off great.  More passion than I have ever heard in this symphony... it is so, so good!

Love it!
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Iota on May 11, 2024, 06:18:02 AMWhat an excellent painting that is.

You may find it interesting: the prototypes of some of the Cossacks in Repin's painting were real people. For example, one of them is Fyodor Stravinsky, the composer's father (look for yellow hat).

VonStupp

Quote from: AnotherSpin on May 10, 2024, 08:42:49 PMI know only a few well-known bits about Tchaikovsky, in particular the fact that his great-grandfather was a Ukrainian cossack Fyodor Chaika (чайка=seagull) Perhaps, he resembled one of the characters in the famous painting by artist Ilya Repin.

I recognize that image from Neeme Jarvi's older Rimsky-Korsakov recording. However, in revisiting, I see it has been mirrored and exists in a sorry state of definition. Neat to see the original.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Iota

Quote from: AnotherSpin on May 11, 2024, 10:02:26 AMYou may find it interesting: the prototypes of some of the Cossacks in Repin's painting were real people. For example, one of them is Fyodor Stravinsky, the composer's father (look for yellow hat).

Haha, thanks, that perks up my appreciation even further.

Conrad Veidt fan

Tchaik. Symphony #6.  Berliner Philharmoniker/Petrenko.  Blows every other one right off the page.

DavidW

Quote from: Conrad Veidt fan on May 12, 2024, 05:13:53 AMTchaik. Symphony #6.  Berliner Philharmoniker/Petrenko.  Blows every other one right off the page.

Welcome!  I recently listened to Petrenko in that symphony but it was Royal Liverpool (and I love it!).  I'll have to check out the Berlin.  I already listened to the sixth through Muti this weekend so it will be awhile.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: DavidW on May 12, 2024, 08:52:19 AMWelcome!  I recently listened to Petrenko in that symphony but it was Royal Liverpool (and I love it!).  I'll have to check out the Berlin.  I already listened to the sixth through Muti this weekend so it will be awhile.

Two different Petrenkos.

DavidW

Mirror Image

The 6th remains my favorite Tchaikovsky symphony. I truly feel his pain and suffering in this work. Of course, some would say I'm projecting and imbuing emotions into the symphony that aren't there...well, I don't believe it! The last movement is like a resignation of sorts and quite possibly a premonition the composer had of his demise, which would come not too long after his completion of it. The performance that really got to me was Vladimir Jurowski with the London Philharmonic (on this orchestra's own label). Also, Karajan's 70s recording on DG with the Berliners is another that has affected me.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." ― Gustav Mahler