Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2012, 12:05:50 PM
Just bought:

[asin]B000EBEGSC[/asin]

[asin]B00005QHS1[/asin]

I've really enjoyed Atterberg's symphony set from CPO, so I figured I need these two recordings as well. Speaking of Atterberg I need to listen to that symphony cycle again as it's been a more than year since I've listened to any of his music.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 12, 2012, 08:04:23 AM
MI - hope that you enjoy - I went the same way a few years back, i.e. Symphony box first, then the concertos - a composer who more should get to know better; however, that's about all I own of Atterberg, so will check Amazon to see what else may be available! :)

As an avowed fan of Scandinavian Late Romanticism I second Dave - hope (actually, am sure) you'll enjoy these excellent recordings of these two high quality VC and PC, which I would like to hear more in concert halls instead of the old warhorses. Please let us know what you think of them.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 12, 2012, 02:06:41 AM
Those rapidly became my favourite (complete) cycle after hearing them a few months back, super stuff!

May I ask compared to which other cycles, Sara? I mean I had the Auryn quartet playing Schubert (amazing reviews, I know), but their cycle didn't do nothing for me... unfortunately.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 12, 2012, 12:38:18 AM

Sarge

Please let me know what this is like, Sarge! I really want this cycle - and shall be asking for it for my birthday probably!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

KeithW

Some more arrivals:

[asin]B0031O7UVO[/asin]

[asin]B0007XHL3E[/asin]

[asin]B0000669SZ[/asin]

[asin]B0000030PN[/asin]

Lethevich

Nice pick with the Frankel!

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 12, 2012, 09:28:45 AM
May I ask compared to which other cycles, Sara? I mean I had the Auryn quartet playing Schubert (amazing reviews, I know), but their cycle didn't do nothing for me... unfortunately.

The Angeles Quartet I found satisfactory, perhaps an ideal budget introduction, but I found Haydn's warmth and wit slightly missing. It's very straight. The Aeolian is fine, and often interesting and spirited, but feels too outmoded to be anything other than an alternative. The Kodály Quartet was my initial favourite, but what I first viewed as a very straight, somewhat rugged take gradually faded. There was something slightly plastic about the performances that I cannot quite put my finger on. The Buchberger set I would love to hear, but have yet to - it is in a different style from these other "traditional" groups anyway, I suppose.

the Auryn Schubert cycle is not my favourite, although I like it a lot - the Leipzig set you recommended to me I do prefer (and also others in non-complete cycles, such as the Panochas). But in Haydn the Auryns do find something special, I feel. There is an almost ideal sense of the synthesis of intellect and heart, delivered with gratifying polish and recorded sound. I almost define it by its negatives, or the lack of them, as with other non-HIP sets I tend to feel something missing, but less so with these. They do lean towards the "poised" side of performance options both in tone and temperament and might not have the sense of abandon you seek, but there is a consistent sense of friendly dialogue between the players, a feeling of non-routine musicmaking that I feel is really important in Haydn's quartets whichever stylistic approach is taken.

I could mp3 some movements or one of the quartets if you would like to hear them?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 12, 2012, 09:53:45 AM
Nice pick with the Frankel!

The Angeles Quartet I found satisfactory, perhaps an ideal budget introduction, but I found Haydn's warmth and wit slightly missing. It's very straight. The Aeolian is fine, and often interesting and spirited, but feels too outmoded to be anything other than an alternative. The Kodály Quartet was my initial favourite, but what I first viewed as a very straight, somewhat rugged take gradually faded. There was something slightly plastic about the performances that I cannot quite put my finger on. The Buchberger set I would love to hear, but have yet to - it is in a different style from these other "traditional" groups anyway, I suppose.

the Auryn Schubert cycle is not my favourite, although I like it a lot - the Leipzig set you recommended to me I do prefer (and also others in non-complete cycles, such as the Panochas). But in Haydn the Auryns do find something special, I feel. There is an almost ideal sense of the synthesis of intellect and heart, delivered with gratifying polish and recorded sound. I almost define it by its negatives, or the lack of them, as with other non-HIP sets I tend to feel something missing, but less so with these. They do lean towards the "poised" side of performance options both in tone and temperament and might not have the sense of abandon you seek, but there is a consistent sense of friendly dialogue between the players, a feeling of non-routine musicmaking that I feel is really important in Haydn's quartets whichever stylistic approach is taken.

I could mp3 some movements or one of the quartets if you would like to hear them?

Thanks for your detailed reply. I highly agree with your words regarding The Angeles Quartet, the Aeolian Quartet and the Kodály. Although I'm substantially a HIP fan on these matters, lately I have discovered the complete cycle of the Tátrai Quartet and it has been a pure and complete enjoyment. Actually, I have been checking out the recordings of the Lindsays with interest. So I'm totally open to new paths and you are really persuasive regarding the Auryn Quartet.

If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate two or three movements from different quartets.  :)

DavidW

Some not so HIP Mozart. ;D

[asin]B000UZ4EWK[/asin]

Lethevich

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 12, 2012, 10:26:22 AM
If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate two or three movements from different quartets.  :)

A four-movement quartet mixed from unrelated works: I, II, III, IV.

I hope I don't get into a Haydn mood today, I've already gone through about 8 other CDs -  I might melt.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 12, 2012, 09:41:44 AM
Please let me know what this is like, Sarge! I really want this cycle - and shall be asking for it for my birthday probably!

MTT is not one of my favorite Mahler conductors...or rather, I've mixed feelings. I like his LSO Seventh, like his Klagende Lied, but can't stand his Second which has, to my ears, contrived, unnatural phrasing that robs it of momentum and kills the drama. I think the Fourth might respond better to that type of treatment, though, and at least one critic I trust thinks it's a great performance. Yes, I'll let you know how it goes.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

listener

2 orders in today from presto, the first order just before Christmas held up by the holiday rush.
V. NOVAK  Lucerna (opera)  and piano music: sonata Eroica, Slovak Suite, etc.   - Radoslav Kvapil, piano
SHOSTAKOVICH  arrangements of popular songs to be sung by touring troop entertainers during WWII
FOERSTER: 3 Piano Trios
James EHNES violin recital, with added DVD -  instruments from the Fulton collection
MARTINU   Serenades 1-4 and 2 others
MARTINU again, : Cello Concerto l, FOERSTER: Cello Concerto, Jan NOVAK: Capriccio for Cedllo and Small Orch.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Lethevich

Quote from: listener on January 12, 2012, 11:35:01 AM

Hmm, I own most of those old Supraphon Martinů recordings, but somehow wasn't aware this one existed... (the top one that is - I notice my copy brought up two covers)

The new erato

A small haul from europadisc:

[asin]B00008HAUL[/asin]

[asin]B0020LSWAC[/asin]

[asin]B004YWRU5I[/asin]

North Star

Quote from: listener on January 12, 2012, 11:35:01 AM
James EHNES violin recital, with added DVD -  instruments from the Fulton collection

That's a splendid recital disc. Ehnes's playing is stupendous in pretty much everything, in particular the Wieniawski Étude-Caprice performance is fabulous. And Eduard Laurel's piano playing is excellent, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 12, 2012, 11:16:37 AM
A four-movement quartet mixed from unrelated works: I, II, III, IV.

I hope I don't get into a Haydn mood today, I've already gone through about 8 other CDs -  I might melt.

Thanks for doing this, Lethe! I particularly enjoyed the last movement (from the Op. 33); it's beautifully played. Actually, I think I like more their approach here than in Schubert. Anyway, I'd prefer a more defined articulation (because their lines tend to be a bit long) and a little bit of additional inner tension.

I though you would like to compare the same "movements" with the Tátrai Quartet, so I have uploaded them: First movement; Second movement; Third movement & Fourth movement.

:)

jlaurson

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 12, 2012, 10:26:22 AM
Thanks for your detailed reply. I highly agree with your words regarding The Angeles Quartet, the Aeolian Quartet and the Kodály. Although I'm substantially a HIP fan on these matters, lately I have discovered the complete cycle of the Tátrai Quartet and it has been a pure and complete enjoyment. Actually, I have been checking out the recordings of the Lindsays with interest. So I'm totally open to new paths and you are really persuasive regarding the Auryn Quartet.

Auryn are always among my favorites in Haydn, too... superbly recorded and clean, with reverb but never muddy... traditional but with elan. I think I should have the entire cycle by now... but haven't listened to Haydn Quartets for longer than is healthy. Ought to catch up.

What you might want try, given what you don't deem ideal about the Auryn, is the  Engegard String Quartet on 2L. Admittedly only two Haydn Quartets available as of yet, but the recordings (the first moreso than the second) err on the side of too much voice-differentiation and tension. (Do you have a surround listening setup? That would make those 2L recordings particularly appealing.) Q. Mosaiques, my top choice overall, might serve you well on the 'defined articulation', but I wonder if you'd consider their approach particularly tense.

http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=2259
http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=1607
http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=856

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 12, 2012, 08:04:23 AM
MI - hope that you enjoy - I went the same way a few years back, i.e. Symphony box first, then the concertos - a composer who more should get to know better; however, that's about all I own of Atterberg, so will check Amazon to see what else may be available! :)

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I really enjoy Atterberg's music a lot. I think he was a very gifted composer. I hope these concerti are as good as the symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on January 12, 2012, 09:09:35 AM
As an avowed fan of Scandinavian Late Romanticism I second Dave - hope (actually, am sure) you'll enjoy these excellent recordings of these two high quality VC and PC, which I would like to hear more in concert halls instead of the old warhorses. Please let us know what you think of them.

Will do, Florestan. Yeah, I like late Romanticism a lot as well and it's even better when it's music by a Scandinavian. ;) :D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on January 12, 2012, 10:28:08 AM
Some not so HIP Mozart. ;D

[asin]B000UZ4EWK[/asin]

Nothing wrong with that a bit....just ask Lenny! ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Conor71

A couple of arrivals again today - all my last orders are almost in! :) :

otare

I wanted to try something new, so I went through the offers at jpc and ended up with these:

I'm shooting from the hip here :)