The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 29, 2021, 02:22:26 AM
Sunday : I do a search on Ebay for some Bach cantatas by... Suzuki

Monday : Ebay recommends me some Honda motorcycles  ;D

Tuesday :...and some Yamaha too... and now some Nissan cars...  8)

Does a cantata journey equate to some sort of mid-life crisis at all ?   :laugh:

Yes, you should sell everything and move to a Zen monastery. ;)

Brian

Quote from: Brian on October 31, 2020, 12:36:28 PM
Learning interesting things about my girlfriend today. She described Ravel's "Miroirs" as boring and "it sounds like there are harps" and told me not to play it when she's around anymore, and now she's saying that the repeated notes in Beethoven's Op. 28 sonata make her hyper.
New one for the list: Nielsen's First Symphony also makes her hyper.

Brian

Today I learned (via Wiki) that the first ever use of a xylophone in a western orchestral piece was Saint-Saens' Danse macabre in 1874. I learned this hearing the xylophone in Grieg's Peer Gynt and wondering whether Peer Gynt was the first - but no, it was commissioned in 1874 and premiered two years later.

Karl Henning

The Saint-Saëns would have had my guess, but I have the advantage of the formal ed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

As I have told here I have been struggling with classical music. I was intensively into classical music 20-25 years ago when I was new to it exploring it like a child in a toy store. The last 20 years has been varied interest into classical music, but not with the enthusiams I had in the beginning. I have had years with almost no classical music listening.

A few days ago I read the "unpopular opinions" thread and saw the Beethoven's Op. 70, No. 2 being better than No. 1 claima. So I listened to Ghost Trio. I was a bit bored and didn't even listen to No. 2 on the same Naxos disc. I wanted to hear more advanced/modern harmony. So, I listened to Alban Berg's String Quartet, Op. 3. and I liked that more. I have also been listening to David Maslanka's works on the Naxos Wind Band Classics discs and enjoying those. Contemporary classical music has been to my taste so maybe I should just "limit" myself mostly on that? It is not nice to listen to the greatest composers such as Beethoven and be bored. It gives the feeling of hopelessness and that nothing matters. Perhaps some day Beethoven is just the right thing for me, but at the moment I am much more into Maslanka's music for example.

Also, since I understand music theory much much better these days compared to just a few years ago, the things that interest me musically seems different. I am exploring music differently. Not just listening to music composed by others, but composing (at least trying! it is so difficult!) myself and creating my own music language. Some of the magic of music has been taken away when you know how it is done. Oh, it is not magic, it is just a 4-3 suspension! Oh, it is not magic, it is just a V-vi deceptive cadence! I seem to like music that doesn't pretent being anything else than a collection of these tricks...

The idea that we have to be into all classical music all the time is silly. Forums like this one tries to force us into this mode of thinking, because all kind of classical music is being discussed all the time.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on February 08, 2022, 02:49:59 AM
As I have told here I have been struggling with classical music. I was intensively into classical music 20-25 years ago when I was new to it exploring it like a child in a toy store. The last 20 years has been varied interest into classical music, but not with the enthusiams I had in the beginning. I have had years with almost no classical music listening.

A few days ago I read the "unpopular opinions" thread and saw the Beethoven's Op. 70, No. 2 being better than No. 1 claima. So I listened to Ghost Trio. I was a bit bored and didn't even listen to No. 2 on the same Naxos disc. I wanted to hear more advanced/modern harmony. So, I listened to Alban Berg's String Quartet, Op. 3. and I liked that more. I have also been listening to David Maslanka's works on the Naxos Wind Band Classics discs and enjoying those. Contemporary classical music has been to my taste so maybe I should just "limit" myself mostly on that? It is not nice to listen to the greatest composers such as Beethoven and be bored. It gives the feeling of hopelessness and that nothing matters. Perhaps some day Beethoven is just the right thing for me, but at the moment I am much more into Maslanka's music for example.

Also, since I understand music theory much much better these days compared to just a few years ago, the things that interest me musically seems different. I am exploring music differently. Not just listening to music composed by others, but composing (at least trying! it is so difficult!) myself and creating my own music language. Some of the magic of music has been taken away when you know how it is done. Oh, it is not magic, it is just a 4-3 suspension! Oh, it is not magic, it is just a V-vi deceptive cadence! I seem to like music that doesn't pretent being anything else than a collection of these tricks...

The idea that we have to be into all classical music all the time is silly. Forums like this one tries to force us into this mode of thinking, because all kind of classical music is being discussed all the time.

By all means listen to what you feel like listening to. I'm sure I do. And sometimes the discussion sets me to thinking, I'm curious to listen to x. This happened this week, in fact. I had listened to the Poulenc Organ Concerto, and posted to the effect that I like the piece, but I don't find myself especially wishing to listen to more Poulenc. Kyle expressed mild disappointment at this. I considered that I have (in the Louis Frémaux CBSO box) some more Poulenc, so I listened to Les biches last night (which I found great) and the Gloria right now. So be cool with wanting to listen to what you want to listen to, when you want to listen to it. I'm sure I am :) .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 08, 2022, 07:43:31 AM
By all means listen to what you feel like listening to. I'm sure I do. And sometimes the discussion sets me to thinking, I'm curious to listen to x. This happened this week, in fact. I had listened to the Poulenc Organ Concerto, and posted to the effect that I like the piece, but I don't find myself especially wishing to listen to more Poulenc. Kyle expressed mild disappointment at this. I considered that I have (in the Louis Frémaux CBSO box) some more Poulenc, so I listened to Les biches last night (which I found great) and the Gloria right now. So be cool with wanting to listen to what you want to listen to, when you want to listen to it. I'm sure I am :) .

I'll be doing that Karl. Now listening to your teacher, I believe, Joseph Schwantner...  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Brian

List of Symphonies That Start Off Sounding Like a Gentle Pastoral/Picturesque,
Then Gain Unexpected Emotional Depth Midway Through (Usually in the Slow Movement),
Then Build to a Surprising Tense/Dramatic/Heroic Finale That You Wouldn't Have Expected Given How They Started

Dvorak 5 (1875)
Mahler 1 (1888)
Sibelius 2 (1902)
Martinu 4 (1945)
Lloyd 5 (1947)

Any other examples of this rather peculiar, but clearly successful, symphonic structure?

Brian

Sometimes I get the beginning of "Bolero" stuck in my head, but the good thing about that is then I can just mentally skip ahead to the ending and it goes right out of my head again. ;D

Brian

Todd

The New Yorker print issue has a double-whammy from Alex Ross this week.  Both articles are well worth reading.

The Ageless Exuberance of Michael Tilson Thomas

Hildegard of Bingen Composes the Cosmos
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Papy Oli

Caught this in the listings shortly prior to broadcast last night and watched on the BBC - A documentary about classical music filmmaker Christopher Nupen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00109wm/listening-through-the-lens-the-christopher-nupen-films

An unknown name to me but he made several films with Barenboim, Du Pré, Ashkenazy, Perlman, Kissin, Trifonov, etc..., and about various composers...

A fascinating watch with inputs from Barenboim, Perlman, Ashkenazy, David Attenborough, Donald McLeod, Norman Lebrecht.

Found out afterwards that this (re)broadcast was in tribute to his passing:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/mar/05/christopher-nupen-obituary?CMP=twt_a-music_b-gdnclassical   

Definitely worth the time.
Olivier

Roasted Swan

Not sure which thread to use to post this..... From the UK Musician's Union today;

SO IT BEGINS.......

The MU is in urgent talks with the BBC to save musicians' jobs following the corporation's proposals to cut employed posts across BBC Singers and three orchestras.

Proposals include the closure of the BBC Singers and a voluntary redundancy programme for the BBC Symphony, BBC Concert and BBC Philharmonic orchestras aimed at cutting around 20% of employed jobs.

BBC National Orchestra of Wales and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra appear unaffected.

As well as representing affected members and working with the BBC on alternative proposals, the union is urgently calling on MPs to:

Support the union in its fight to save jobs and
    Lobby for an extension to the increased Orchestral Tax Relief beyond April

The MU calls on all members to email their MP urgently. The BBC is the single biggest employer of musicians in the UK. Any attack on their music provision – from orchestral music to BBC Introducing – affects us all.
Write to your MP using our template letter now  →

BBC Singers and Orchestras are a vital part of the BBC

MU General Secretary Naomi Pohl spoke out today: "The BBC is the biggest employer and engager of musicians in the UK and it plays a unique role in the eco-system of our music industry. From Glastonbury to the Proms, from Jools Holland to BBC Radio, its coverage, support and promotion of UK musical talent nationally and internationally is unrivalled. It is because we appreciate the BBC's role so much that these proposed cuts are so utterly devastating.

"The BBC Performing Groups are vital to the BBC. They are busy, they perform a wide range of roles across numerous high-profile programmes and events, and they also already contribute to music education.

"The hundreds of singers and musicians the BBC employs will be very concerned about their futures today. We will support them and stand with them to push back against these proposals. We will fight for every job. This will mean working with the BBC to look at alternative measures, representing affected individuals, and also calling on the Government to step in with more support.

"Musicians have suffered greatly during the pandemic and with the rising cost-of-living. As a profession and as an industry, we remain in crisis. The Government could protect organisations and jobs in the short term by extending the increased rate of orchestral tax relief beyond April. Going forward, they must also increase funding so that organisations can preserve jobs and continue to deliver the world-class music that Britain is renowned for."

The BBC is the single biggest employer of musicians in the UK

Jo Laverty, the MU's Orchestras Organiser, added:

"The BBC Performing Groups are a key asset that sets the BBC apart from commercial broadcasters, and the BBC's recent Classical Music Review gave the impression this was well understood and indicated a full commitment from the broadcaster to their ongoing employment. To now hear of potential redundancies across the BBC orchestras in England and the closure of the Singers as a performing group is unthinkable.

"The BBC Orchestras and Singers, and the exceptional quality of their live and broadcast output, ensure that the BBC remains one of the most significant players in the classical music industry, both in the UK and internationally.

"They also make a crucial contribution in meeting the public purposes of the BBC's royal charter by providing education and learning, stimulating creativity and cultural excellence whilst serving the UK's nations, regions and communities. This is achieved not just via broadcasting but by taking performances into communities and education settings the length and breadth of the UK.

"With the six Performing Groups all fully utilised in meeting the current broadcast volume requirement across the BBC, the MU does not think that these proposals are the answer to the BBC's need to find savings. The MU's key focus will be on talking regularly and working with the BBC to avoid any loss of jobs and challenging them to find alternative solutions."

Todd

I received an email survey from Eloquence.  It's fairly extensive.  I basically never fill out surveys, but I will fill out this one.  I will include a comment regarding reissuing Hyperion items, and will follow up with an email.  Eloquence does respond in my experience.  Maybe if enough people pepper them with similar requests, magic can happen sometime in 2024.

Brian

I don't know what thread to put this in but: every time that Gordon Jacob shows up on a CD, I like his music, but I don't think he was major enough to have loads of CDs all to his own. He seems like a great compilation guy.

Todd

The AP has a video story on female conductors in light of the flick Tár.  It caught my eye and I ended up watching because the pianist Vanessa Benelli Mosell has apparently made the career move to stick waving.  I wish her the best and want to hear full recordings ASAP. 

Brian

I must confess my disappointment in the programming of the Pittsburgh Symphony, which in its 2023-24 season is performing Beethoven's Fourth Piano Concerto twice! A weekend in October with Rudolf Buchbinder, and a weekend in June with Yefim Bronfman. Gosh, it sure is nice that they managed to program something else all the other weekends  ::)

BTW, they will be recording Bruckner 8 for Reference. Honeck and Pittsburgh are also performing (but not recording) Liszt's Dante Symphony, Mahler 5, Brahms' German Requiem (coupled with Eriks Esenvalds), and Rachmaninov Symphony 2.

Brian

The Rossini crescendo needs to make a comeback in contemporary composition!

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brian on April 23, 2023, 12:57:07 PMThe Rossini crescendo needs to make a comeback in contemporary composition!

Excuse my ignorance; I have heard the term but do not know what it means exactly (though listening to his overtures, of course, I hear them). What makes a crescendo Rossinian?

Just back from an organ recital at the local Anglican cathedral, the soloist was one Emmanuel Duperrey. Very good stuff, including organ transcriptions of RVW's Seventeen Come Sunday and Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice.