Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 26, 2018, 11:12:29 AM
Just I found this on YouTube:

String octet in D major

https://www.youtube.com/v/g8hw5X92xhE

and the String sextet No. 3 in C major

https://www.youtube.com/v/tI13ZUJp4CQ

As I said previously on this thread, this is LOVELY stuff. Please, take a listen to these works. Some early pieces with an incredible potential.

Well, I just listened, with much pleasure, to the String Octet and find your analysis, Cesar, to be spot on. It is a delightful work, catchy and engaging. It reminded me a bit of Borodin brought into the Twentieth Century although it is hardly modernistic (composed in 1900). The tunes are memorably inspiriting. I can see that this is another CD which may have to be smuggled into the house. My cat enjoyed it too. Thanks very much for posting them here. On to the String Sextet next.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2018, 12:21:06 PM
Well, I just listened, with much pleasure, to the String Octet and find your analysis, Cesar, to be spot on. It is a delightful work, catchy and engaging. It reminded me a bit of Borodin brought into the Twentieth Century although it is hardly modernistic (composed in 1900). The tunes are memorably inspiriting. I can see that this is another CD which may have to be smuggled into the house. My cat enjoyed it too. Thanks very much for posting them here. On to the String Sextet next.  :)

Nice, Jeffrey! My pleasure

The Borodin link is quite right, his 2 string quartets came to my mind when listened to these pieces.

vandermolen

New release with review of concert by the same forces:
[asin]B07J3H7FFW[/asin]
https://bachtrack.com/review-gliere-ilya-muromets-feltz-belgrade-philharmonic-march-2018

Possible candidate for the interesting orchestra names thread.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

The only video recording of Ilya Muromets I'm aware of. Yuri Simonov conducting the Orchestras of Zurich University of the Arts and Haute école de musique de Geneve. There should be more fans of this colossal work out there.

https://www.youtube.com/v/4MClLBA5o1w&feature=youtu.be
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

Thanks for linking to it. Why oh why is it unlisted? This needs to be in the public!

Cato

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 11, 2019, 01:56:47 AM
Thanks for linking to it. Why oh why is it unlisted? This needs to be in the public!

Yes, many thanks! 

In scouring YouTube for other live performances, I cam across this curiosity:

https://www.youtube.com/v/LZGypdJoPSc

If anyone would like to analyze the connection of that picture to the works involved, I would be interested in reading it!   ;)   Possibly it is meant to be symbolic of the slow eroticism in the Scriabin Symphony #4, but...are snails on the face erotic?!   ???
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

relm1

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2019, 04:30:08 AM
If anyone would like to analyze the connection of that picture to the works involved, I would be interested in reading it!   ;)   Possibly it is meant to be symbolic of the slow eroticism in the Scriabin Symphony #4, but...are snails on the face erotic?!   ???

The image is a commentary on society's obsession with youth and fleeting beauty.  Woman use snails on their face as a beauty treatment because of the proteins in their slime however this woman is already beautiful so is beauty obsessed so the image is showing that beauty has a dark and obsessive side...just like the beautiful music in the recording.  :-*

https://www.wowamazing.com/trending/rare/live-snails-slither-across-face-beauty-treatment/

Cato

Quote from: relm1 on December 11, 2019, 06:46:37 AM
The image is a commentary on society's obsession with youth and fleeting beauty.  Woman use snails on their face as a beauty treatment because of the proteins in their slime however this woman is already beautiful so is beauty obsessed so the image is showing that beauty has a dark and obsessive side...just like the beautiful music in the recording.  :-*

https://www.wowamazing.com/trending/rare/live-snails-slither-across-face-beauty-treatment/

Snail Slime for Beauty!  Sounds like a (fairly small) niche market to me!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 10, 2019, 03:52:11 PM
The only video recording of Ilya Muromets I'm aware of. Yuri Simonov conducting the Orchestras of Zurich University of the Arts and Haute école de musique de Geneve. There should be more fans of this colossal work out there.

https://www.youtube.com/v/4MClLBA5o1w&feature=youtu.be
Wonderful! Thanks for posting the link. Simonov has the most lyrical and expressive means of conducting since Bernstien. ( I'll probably get my head bitten off for that claim)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2019, 12:57:27 PM
Snail Slime for Beauty!  Sounds like a (fairly small) niche market to me!

Snail slime works to remove facial wrinkles and heal faster. It's curious indeed.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 11, 2019, 05:58:24 PM
Snail slime works to remove facial wrinkles and heal faster. It's curious indeed.

I wonder if you can buy it in a tube rather than having to find a cooperative snail. I wonder if Gliere used this treatment.
;D

Roasted Swan

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on December 11, 2019, 01:50:15 PM
Wonderful! Thanks for posting the link. Simonov has the most lyrical and expressive means of conducting since Bernstien. ( I'll probably get my head bitten off for that claim)

I saw Simonov conducting just last month and he is really very good indeed.  Yes quite a bit of it is playing to the gallery but at the same time there is enough there to really help the orchestra too so its not just showmanship.

He came and conducted the Guildhall Symphony Orchestra when I was there back in the early 80's.  He brought the Bolshoi's own set of the Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet Ballet Suites and we played that in concert with him.  I remember so well how brilliantly he galvanised the orchestra even though he spoke very little English - it was very exciting and inspiring. 

kyjo

Just recently discovered Glière's wonderful Horn Concerto, which despite its late date (1951) is a throughly late-romantic work with not a hint of Shostakovichian irony or bitterness. It has great tunes and colorful orchestration, and a particularly gorgeous slow movement. It is now one of my favorite concerti for the instrument along with those by Atterberg, Damase, Gipps, and Tomasi. I listened to the Chandos recording below, which is excellent:

[asin] B000000AX5[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 18, 2019, 10:33:23 AM
Just recently discovered Glière's wonderful Horn Concerto, which despite its late date (1951) is a throughly late-romantic work with not a hint of Shostakovichian irony or bitterness. It has great tunes and colorful orchestration, and a particularly gorgeous slow movement. It is now one of my favorite concerti for the instrument along with those by Atterberg, Damase, Gipps, and Tomasi. I listened to the Chandos recording below, which is excellent:

[asin] B000000AX5[/asin]

I heard Radek Baborák playing this concerto live. A great experience.

Actually, I like all his concertos, even the ones for violin and cello.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 18, 2019, 11:37:16 AM
I heard Radek Baborák playing this concerto live. A great experience.

Actually, I like all his concertos, even the ones for violin and cello.

How exciting that you got to hear it live! I like all of Glière's concerti too - even the admittedly rather overlong one for cello - although I haven't heard the one for violin yet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on December 18, 2019, 10:33:23 AM

[asin] B000000AX5[/asin]

I also like that CD for 'The Bronze Horseman Suite'.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on December 18, 2019, 04:06:58 PM

+1 for same reason

vandermolen

I was delighted to find this on CD from a Japanese company and not too expensive. It was my first encounter with the work on an RCA LP and, as far as I'm aware, had never been reissued on CD. I think that Ormandy's versions featured some cuts but I recall it as a very exciting and gripping performance. Also, this CD release, I just noticed, features Rachmaninov's 'Three Russian Songs' which was a great discovery for me over the last couple of years:

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 18, 2019, 04:06:58 PM

I've yet to listen to that, but I recall hearing an extract from it a while ago that was very promising.

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on December 18, 2019, 04:45:22 PM
I was delighted to find this on CD from a Japanese company and not too expensive. It was my first encounter with the work on an RCA LP and, as far as I'm aware, had never been reissued on CD. I think that Ormandy's versions featured some cuts but I recall it as a very exciting and gripping performance. Also, this CD release, I just noticed, features Rachmaninov's 'Three Russian Songs' which was a great discovery for me over the last couple of years:

This fully lived up to expectations: