Your favourite Strauss Tone Poems

Started by madaboutmahler, October 29, 2011, 05:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take your 3 votes for your favourite tone poems by Richard Strauss!

Aus Italien
Don Juan
Macbeth
Tod und Verklärung
Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche
Also sprach Zarathustra
Don Quixote
Ein Heldenleben
Symphonia Domestica
Eine Alpensinfonie

johnshade

favourite? the last three...

Ein Heldenleben
Symphonia Domestica
Eine Alpensinfonie

The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

Mirror Image

If I were allowed to vote again, I would choose without hesitation: Tod und Verklärung, Eine Alpensinfonie, and Ein Heldenleben. Don Quixote and Sinfonia Domestica have also been under my radar over past couple of months and I've really been enjoying those tone poems a lot.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: knight66 on January 11, 2016, 02:33:43 PM
It was the Beethoven Mass in C, the Dona Nobis Pachem at the end is to the same tune as the opening of the Kyrie.

Phew.

Mike

Ah. I always forget about that one; it's never really interested me.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2016, 03:12:00 PMSinfonia Domestica have also been under my radar over past couple of months and I've really been enjoying those tone poems a lot.

I use to detect Sinfonia Domestica, but have warmed up to it over the last few years.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 11, 2016, 06:21:09 PM
I use to detect Sinfonia Domestica, but have warmed up to it over the last few years.

I used to detest Richard Strauss in general but I've warmed up to his music quite a bit over the past year. ;)

Jaakko Keskinen

I have great love for Strauss' tone poems (with the exception of Sinfonia Domestica). My top 3 would be Tod und Verklärung, Alpensinfonie and Also Sprach Zarathustra.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on October 01, 2016, 05:54:19 AM
I have great love for Strauss' tone poems (with the exception of Sinfonia Domestica). My top 3 would be Tod und Verklärung, Alpensinfonie and Also Sprach Zarathustra.

My 'Top 3' now would probably be Tod und Verklärung, Don Quixote, and Sinfonia Domestica (a hugely underrated work IMHO).

Maestro267

Voted for Tod und Verklärung, Ein Heldenleben and Eine Alpensinfonie, although Domestica was close to being included as well.

Abuelo Igor

Quote from: knight66 on January 11, 2016, 11:17:41 AM
A very long time ago I read in some book on music theory that any music whiich ended as it started meant that you had not gone anywhere.

How did that reflect on the "Theme and variations" form?
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Scion7

?  This is a poll - we have an article on Richard Strauss already - wrong section?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Heck148

I like most all of them -

certainly Don J, T&D, Till, Also Sprach, Don Q, Heldenleben, Sym Dom, Alpine...
my top three are Don Juan, Also Sprach, Heldenleben, but I do so enjoy the others as well.

knight66

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on October 02, 2016, 02:38:58 AM
How did that reflect on the "Theme and variations" form?

Oh, it was silent on that. I recall that the Alpine Symphony was specified and dismissed with a comment about going up the mountain then marching down again, supposedly also reflecting the technical aspects of the musical journey.

Anyway, that critic is probably dead by now and I still listen with huge pleasure to The Alpine.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.