Beethoven Symphonies HIP

Started by Expresso, July 04, 2007, 04:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: max on July 24, 2014, 11:26:50 PM
I wonder if most composers of the 18th & 19th century wouldn't in fact have preferred more modern performances had it been available. I can, for example, easily imagine Beethoven preferring Klemperer's version of the Eroica to what would only amount to an "emulation" of what he would have heard.

Well, we're both being sepculative, of course.  But I can as easily imagine Beethoven thinking "Gott im Himmel, what does that poncey git think he's doing to my music??!!" on hearing syrupified textures and wilful bunny-hops of tempo.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

I can easily imagine Beethoven in purple stockings, bending over while wearing bunny ear-muffs, scrubbing the kitchen floor with two massive potatoes, furiously breaking wind while complaining about the shambles that the Danish Navy was in and their ineptitude at the Battle of Anholt and suggesting that "Mathilde von Guise" and "La Cambiale di Matrimonio" were dreck and that he didn't, in any case, give a damn about Athens and it might as well fall into ruins, as far he was concerned.

Then again, that might be just because of my peculiar imagination.

Karl Henning

You can imagine that.  But it cannot be easy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on July 25, 2014, 07:50:40 AM

You gotta admit, it does seem authentic. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

max

Quote from: karlhenning on July 25, 2014, 04:24:33 AM
Well, we're both being sepculative, of course.  But I can as easily imagine Beethoven thinking "Gott im Himmel, what does that poncey git think he's doing to my music??!!" on hearing syrupified textures and wilful bunny-hops of tempo.

I never thought of Klemperer as a pancake mix kind of guy as was more in the nature of late Karajan. All I'm saying is THEN they wouldn't have heard the kind of performances available today and so we can't really say what they would have preferred. Even if Beethoven had retained perfect hearing  I'm reasonably sure he would have preferred a modern concert grand for the piano concertos & sonatas.

Regardless of HIP or not, it's the performance that counts.

Also Beethoven would not have said Gott im Himmel. He would have used a few choice five and six letter words instead because everything in Deutsch is longer including insults.

Karl Henning

Quote from: max on July 25, 2014, 08:57:36 AM
Regardless of HIP or not, it's the performance that counts.

Certainly.

And Beethoven might not have said Gott im Himmel.  But it's easy for me to imagine he might have 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pat B

Oh good, this argument again.

max

Quote from: karlhenning on July 25, 2014, 09:05:30 AM
Certainly.

And Beethoven might not have said Gott im Himmel.  But it's easy for me to imagine he might have 8)

Yes! It is easier to imagine but in reality it would have sounded more like one of the last days of Hitler rant.

Karl Henning

You see, I want to imagine LvB's personality milder than it probably was.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pat B on July 25, 2014, 09:16:30 AM
Oh good, this argument again.

All I can say is; listen to Klemp if you want, don't make yourself feel better by imagining Beethoven would have agreed with you.   ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 25, 2014, 09:28:46 AM
All I can say is; listen to Klemp if you want, don't make yourself feel better by imagining Beethoven would have agreed with you.   ::)

8)

Because, after all, that is the path which, irresponsibly trod, leads to abominations like The Pink Harp fondly imagining that he knows what music of our day Debussy would and would not like   ::)   8)    0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on July 25, 2014, 09:27:56 AM
You see, I want to imagine LvB's personality milder than it probably was.
But then I remember the story in Maynard Solomon, about how his friend bribed a waitress to flirt with LvB, and LvB punched her in the face.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on July 25, 2014, 09:38:03 AM
But then I remember the story in Maynard Solomon, about how his friend bribed a waitress to flirt with LvB, and LvB punched her in the face.

The story is confirmed by Schindler to have happened just so... except, however, that he suggests it wasn't a punch, and it wasn't her face.

Karl Henning

Quote from: jlaurson on July 25, 2014, 09:40:27 AM
The story is confirmed by Schindler to have happened just so... except, however, that he suggests it wasn't a punch, and it wasn't her face.

I know there are limits 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

max

Maybe the "piano lessons" didn't go well >:D

Brahmsian

Quote from: max on July 25, 2014, 08:57:36 AM
I never thought of Klemperer as a pancake mix kind of guy as was more in the nature of late Karajan.

I personally think Ludwig loved hearty, thick, buckwheat pancakes.  Well, I do.  :D

Ken B

Quote from: jlaurson on July 25, 2014, 06:24:11 AM
I can easily imagine Beethoven in purple stockings, bending over while wearing bunny ear-muffs, scrubbing the kitchen floor with two massive potatoes, furiously breaking wind while complaining about the shambles that the Danish Navy was in and their ineptitude at the Battle of Anholt and suggesting that "Mathilde von Guise" and "La Cambiale di Matrimonio" were dreck and that he didn't, in any case, give a damn about Athens and it might as well fall into ruins, as far he was concerned.

Then again, that might be just because of my peculiar imagination.
Quote from: karlhenning on July 25, 2014, 07:50:40 AM
Easy no. Hot, yes.

:D

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 25, 2014, 10:09:23 AM
I personally think Ludwig loved hearty, thick, buckwheat pancakes.  Well, I do.  :D

I personally thnk that Ludwig loved raw P.E.I. oysters with a dash of tabasco, purple cow frozen yoghurt, and grilled Portuguese sweetbread.

But I doubt he liked them all together . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

max

Quote from: karlhenning on July 25, 2014, 10:37:08 AM
I personally thnk that Ludwig loved raw P.E.I. oysters with a dash of tabasco, purple cow frozen yoghurt, and grilled Portuguese sweetbread.

But I doubt he liked them all together . . . .

...and if he didn't like it, the waiter got it re-served to him in a manner where he could immediately taste it's short comings.

Ken B

Quote from: max on July 25, 2014, 11:12:58 AM
...and if he didn't like it, the waiter got it re-served to him in a manner where he could immediately taste it's short comings.
Okay, now you're just speculating.