Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: premont on November 13, 2023, 12:17:46 AMThanks for this information. 

I politely ask you to remember me in your testament, and name me as the beneficiary of all your organ recordings. Thank you very much!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

JBS

Seen on Twitter.
Anyone have opinions on the recordings or conductor?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Anooj

Any opinions on this set, especially Pieces de clavecin as performed by Laurence Boulay?

Alternatively, it seems Brilliant is re-releasing their out-of-print Michael Borgstede recordings of those pieces next year, packed together with the harpsichord works of the other Couperin family members. Any experiences with these recordings, or how they compare with Boulay?

Also considering the Baumont set on Erato, though it obviously has fewer extras compared to the above two sets.

Mandryka

@Anooj

I thought that what Laurence Boulay does is execrable and the instrument is pretty crap too.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

DavidW

Pettersson edition, mostly I'm using this as a bookmark!  Will revisit many of these recordings in the next few weeks and decide if I want to pull the trigger.

The image is a clickable to the preorder page on Presto. :)

Mandryka

For the Shostakovich - it's expensive so please say if you know anything about it.

Atriod

Quote from: DavidW on December 01, 2023, 06:32:57 AMPettersson edition, mostly I'm using this as a bookmark!  Will revisit many of these recordings in the next few weeks and decide if I want to pull the trigger.

Length: 19 hours 44 minutes

Nice, enough time to sneak in a nap and a couple of snacks for a single day of Pettersson.

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on December 01, 2023, 06:32:57 AMPettersson edition, mostly I'm using this as a bookmark!  Will revisit many of these recordings in the next few weeks and decide if I want to pull the trigger.

Ordered.

Spotted Horses

Considering, and expressing confusion.

I saw this set or Mozart wind music by the Consortium Classicum on Warner (EMI)

then recalled that there is a similar set on cpo

Looking up the cpo release on Discogs, I see that it was recorded mostly in the 70's by EMI electrola! How does a set of EMI recordings get released by cpo?

To add to the confusion, the Consortium Classicum seems to have recorded the pieces again for MD&G.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mapman

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 14, 2024, 12:57:53 PMConsidering, and expressing confusion.

I saw this set or Mozart wind music by the Consortium Classicum on Warner (EMI)

then recalled that there is a similar set on cpo

Looking up the cpo release on Discogs, I see that it was recorded mostly in the 70's by EMI electrola! How does a set of EMI recordings get released by cpo?

To add to the confusion, the Consortium Classicum seems to have recorded the pieces again for MD&G.

It seems to me that the CPO is a licensed (earlier) reissue of the same Warner set. The back cover of the Warner set (available on German Amazon) doesn't give enough details to confirm this.

Is this the MD&G set you mentioned? It does seem different, with more arrangements of Mozart by other people. https://www.discogs.com/release/20473846-Mozart-Consortium-Classicum-The-Unbelievable-Mozart-Vol-1-7

I'm not familiar with those particular performances, but everything I've heard from Klöcker and Consortium Classicum has been excellent. Klöcker did great work recording less-known music for winds!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mapman on January 14, 2024, 01:46:18 PMIt seems to me that the CPO is a licensed (earlier) reissue of the same Warner set. The back cover of the Warner set (available on German Amazon) doesn't give enough details to confirm this.

Is this the MD&G set you mentioned? It does seem different, with more arrangements of Mozart by other people. https://www.discogs.com/release/20473846-Mozart-Consortium-Classicum-The-Unbelievable-Mozart-Vol-1-7

I'm not familiar with those particular performances, but everything I've heard from Klöcker and Consortium Classicum has been excellent. Klöcker did great work recording less-known music for winds!

Yes, the MDG recordings are newer recordings (which I haven't heard).

It's clear from the recording data I found on Discogs that the recordings were licensed from EMI by cpo. I'm surprised because I don't know of any other instance where cpo issued recordings licensed from another label.

Original releases looked like this:

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

akebergv

For those who do not mind downloads, the Pettersson Box is available right now at eClassical (here). There is also a 50% Black Friday code (Black50) that still works. That way Redbook quality of all 17 discs can be had for $26 and HiRes (including surround) for $40.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: akebergv on January 26, 2024, 12:20:16 AMFor those who do not mind downloads, the Pettersson Box is available right now at eClassical (here). There is also a 50% Black Friday code (Black50) that still works. That way Redbook quality of all 17 discs can be had for $26 and HiRes (including surround) for $40.

Thanks for that. I got an email from eclassical since I have an account with them which boasted of a 50% discount, but it showed in my shopping cart at ~ $52 for 16-bit. It didn't mention the code (Black50) which worked, bring it down to $26. At that price, hard to resist. Pretty good deal compared with $175 at Prestoclassical.

Mandryka

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mandryka

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Anooj

How recommendable is this box exactly? I have been considering adding a HIP Beethoven symphony cycle to my collection (the ones I have so far are in the traditional style), as well as Liszt's piano transcriptions of the symphonies.

This box seems like a good way to kill two birds with one stone then, but how do these particular recordings stack up? The symphony cycle is the Anima Eterna / Immerseel one, Yuru Martinov performs the Liszt arrangements.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Anooj on February 09, 2024, 02:37:54 AM

How recommendable is this box exactly? I have been considering adding a HIP Beethoven symphony cycle to my collection (the ones I have so far are in the traditional style), as well as Liszt's piano transcriptions of the symphonies.

This box seems like a good way to kill two birds with one stone then, but how do these particular recordings stack up? The symphony cycle is the Anima Eterna / Immerseel one, Yuru Martinov performs the Liszt arrangements.

I think the Immerseel cycle is fantastic.

Brian

Agreed. Martynov is eccentric and given to wildly different approaches from symphony to symphony, but at his best he is also very good. My reference for those transcriptions is Scherbakov, but he is also a little inconsistent.