Frasier - One Of The Greatest Sitcoms Of All-Time?

Started by Mirror Image, February 26, 2012, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Although it's been years since I watched it, I couldn't stand that show, despite trying to get into it. Just didn't find it interesting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 27, 2012, 03:12:54 AM
Actually, one of my favorites is the one that aired just prior to The Club: from season 2 episode 17, Daphne's Room. This is the one where Frasier is caught several times in Daphne's room, including once when he is accused of spying on Daphne from the closest as she's about to take a shower. Some superb physical comedy by all the characters...and the quick cuts to each of the Crane men's faces (including Eddie's) when they are caught seemingly going through her belongings is priceless.

Sarge

That's a great episode, Sarge.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on February 27, 2012, 06:14:52 AM
Although it's been years since I watched it, I couldn't stand that show, despite trying to get into it. Just didn't find it interesting.

What's one of your favorite sitcoms then, Greg?

North Star

One of the few American shows I watch. David Hyde-Pierce is absolutely brilliant as Niles.
Hyde-Pierce playing Bach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSKZTu60c-o
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2012, 06:38:04 AM
What's one of your favorite sitcoms then, Greg?
As far as American evening sitcoms go, I wouldn't call any of them "great" shows, but... the ones I most enjoyed included Everybody Hates Chris, The Office, Seinfeld, George Lopez, Bernie Mac, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, and probably a couple more I don't remember because they didn't run as long. Currently, I've been watching Big Bang episodes when my family has it on, and it's pretty enjoyable.

But that's just my personal taste. These shows are just entertainment and have little artistic value, so I wouldn't even bother debating which one is "better."

DavidW

Quote from: Greg on February 27, 2012, 07:39:15 AM
As far as American evening sitcoms go, I wouldn't call any of them "great" shows, but... the ones I most enjoyed included Everybody Hates Chris, The Office, Seinfeld, George Lopez, Bernie Mac, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, and probably a couple more I don't remember because they didn't run as long. Currently, I've been watching Big Bang episodes when my family has it on, and it's pretty enjoyable.

But that's just my personal taste. These shows are just entertainment and have little artistic value, so I wouldn't even bother debating which one is "better."

Better is whichever makes you laugh more.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: DavidW on February 27, 2012, 07:48:31 AM

Plus memorable, and unique, characters. Sheldon, Amy, Leonard's mother, Sheldon's mother...yeah, Big Bang qualifies  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ibanezmonster

No clear decision on that one for me, then...

Ataraxia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 27, 2012, 07:59:51 AM
Plus memorable, and unique, characters. Sheldon, Amy, Leonard's mother, Sheldon's mother...yeah, Big Bang qualifies  8)

The only sitcom I watch.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Discobole on February 27, 2012, 09:32:23 AM
Sitcoms today are not that good. I mean, Big Bang Theory is just not as funny as it has been, How I Met Your Mother has had good moments (season 4-5) but is now really boring, The Office is not the same without Michael. 30Rock is probably the only really good sitcom today.

I agree about Big Bang and Mother. Both disappointing this season. But I'm enjoying Community, Modern Family, Raising Hope (by the creator of My Name is Earl) and 30Rock.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

canninator

At its height, Only Fools and Horses, was positive television gold in the UK. After the seven regular series it started to go down hill in a number of Christmas specials. A US remake is heading your way. It really was something of its time so I predict it flunking in the remake.

Another absolute favourite was Blackadder, I could watch that all day.

On topic, I lived in NYC during a large part of the Frasier years and loved every minute of it, despite having missed and not really connected with Cheers.

eyeresist

That was a great post, Soapy. I don't think I saw the "La Scala" episode, but I think we can all understand the agonising dilemma. OTOH, I wonder how the "average" viewer saw that joke.

And yes, In & Out was an insult of a movie. I like musicals - --> I must be gay! (As opposed to "I prefer to have sex with the same sex --> ...")

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2012, 08:41:25 PM
... It was a known fact that both of the Crane brothers didn't like Mahler and this was only mentioned a few times during the entire series. I do remember the Crane brothers being more into the Classical and early Romantic era composers.

Speaking as one who enthuses over fewer than half a dozen US TV shows, myself ... this is is exactly the sort of "known fact" one cannot expect a casual fan of such a show to have picked up.

Luckily, John, I saw that you were wearing your Mild Irony Beanie.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lethevich on February 26, 2012, 09:03:39 PM
The strange thing is they are not spectacular actors elsewhere, but something about each character worked perfectly for them.

I think this more than fair. I don't know that they're any of them great actors, but here they've found a felicitous ensemble which drew out their best.

Pure luck of the draw, I think, that this show doesn't "click" with me.

I'm okay with that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Greg on February 27, 2012, 06:14:52 AM

Dude, we must have tea sometime.

Separately, I met a couple from Orlando to-day.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

You may be on to something here, Davey ... and this raison d'être may just be why sitcoms from about M*A*S*H on, fail to click with me. I feel too much that they're drilling for laughs...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: Discobole on February 27, 2012, 04:23:36 PMThis is mentioned in an episode during the 5-season long breakup with Maris. Niles is recalling his quiet Sundays with her as a couple, when he would play Mahler for her on the piano. Then Frasier goes like : "But you hate Mahler !" and Niles answers : "Who doesn't, besides Maris ?"

No, I looked this up and this is actually a misquote. What happens is Niles recalls, amongst other things, playing Mahler on the piano for Maris, and later Frasier tells him:
Niles, before you make your decision, just make sure that you're remembering things the way they really were.  Yes, you bought that chair on your honeymoon in Vienna.  But remember, you wanted to buy the chair that you saw in Paris.  Yes, you sit at the piano every Sunday morning and play Mahler for Maris.  But you hate Mahler!  Besides Maris, who doesn't?!

The only other Mahler reference from the show I could find is the "Mahler-palooza" quote, above.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Discobole on February 27, 2012, 04:23:36 PM
This is mentioned in an episode during the 5-season long breakup with Maris. Niles is recalling his quiet Sundays with her as a couple, when he would play Mahler for her on the piano. Then Frasier goes like : "But you hate Mahler !" and Niles answers : "Who doesn't, besides Maris ?"
Even when you like Mahler, this is quite funny actually ;D Even more when you consider the relation between Mahler and Freud, the birth of psychoanalysis in Vienna 1900-1910... Frasier and Niles would supposedly be the typical fans of Mahler (at least Frasier, who is openly Freudian when Niles is more Jungian), this repulsion is kind of like turned against themselves (or could have fueled a fight if the topic on hand was not Maris). I guess this is not merely clumsy writing, but a subtle allusion for a part of the public.

A most interesting, and insightful, comment, Disco.

Perhaps it is good writing, but not great writing for television?

OTOH ... to echo a comment of Davey's — perhaps ambition on writing and even a marginal degree of success in reaching a comprehending audience ... all right, this already has no connection with aught Davey said...

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on February 27, 2012, 07:39:15 AM

I hate Big Bang Theory. Such annoying, dreadful characters. Seinfeld had annoying characters too, but the way that show was written was just brilliant.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Discobole on February 27, 2012, 09:32:23 AM
When I think about the funniest episodes of Frasier IMO, I think about two dinner parties.
In season 2 episode 3 Frasier invites his new boss, who he doesn't know is gay. Therefore, the guy thinks its a date and is led to believe that Frasier, Niles and even their father are gay. Some of the misunderstandings are simply  hilarious (Martin : "Il love to hang out at Dukes. A lot of young cops" :D)
In season 4 episode 1, Daphne's ex boyfriend comes to dinner and she wants him to believe she's married to Niles, just not to appear available. Then things get quite wild, Roz is supposed to be married to Frasier but she hits on the guy, and Daphne gets interested in him again, and Martin even tells he's an ex astronaut ;D That must be one of the funniest episodes of any TV series I've watched.
But there are so many other episodes I liked. The one with "Dirty girl"... The one Sergeant Rock mentioned (Daphne's Room). And so many others.

Yes, I remember these episodes quite well. So many funny moments.

QuoteAnd I might start to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I've love Curb..., if you enjoy Seinfeld, then I'll think you'll enjoy this show. Larry David is a comedic genius IMHO.