What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 05, 2016, 11:54:54 AM
Is Feldman saying easel painter like it's a bad thing?  Just wondering.

;)

Glad someone asked. 

I think he is saying that no matter how innovative a composer's work has been, e.g. Wagner, or Schoenberg, they are still working in the traditional genre defining methods: a difference of degree.  Cage however, did something entirely different outside the tradition: a difference in kind. 

San Antone

Mandryka

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on December 05, 2016, 11:46:11 AM
He points out the allusion to Es ist vollbracht from the Johannes-Passion of Bach
Il wonder what that's about.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Kontrapunctus

Disc No.6 in honor of the 225th anniversary of Mozart's death.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 05, 2016, 11:47:18 AM
Machauts Messe is scored for four voices.

1. Triplum
2. Motetus
3. Contratenor
4. Tenor

Of these the triplum and the motetus are approximately written in the same pitch - the triplum a little higher, but crossings between these two parts are not rare. This means, that the motetus happens to have the uppermost tones in between. The contratenor and the tenor are also in the same pitch, somewhat an octave below the triplum and motetus, and crossings between the contratenor and the tenor are frequent, and none of them can be said to be leading. 

It is almost obvious, that the two upper parts should be sung by a pair of identical singers, and that the two lower parts should likewise be sung by another pair of identical singers. The most likely solution is two tenors and two basses. If the triplum is sung by a female alto or a male countertenor, the motetus should be sung by a similar voice to create equality between the two upper parts. Otherwise the triplum will dominate and make the impression, that it is the "solo" and the three other parts the accompaniment, as displayed by many recordings. But I know only one recording, which use two countertenors for both the upper parts (Ruhland). Usually when the triplum is sung by a countertenor or alto, the motetus is sung by a tenor. I am not as such adverse to female voices or countertenors in this repertoire, but the considerations above must be taken into account.

The higher voices do grab your attention in Kandel's  recording, inevitably - on the other hand I think that the mens' voices are clear and characterful.

I do think it was strange that he used a women's choir given the historical preparation, and I remember being disappointed that his booklet essay doesn't discuss the decision.

Quote from: sanantonio on December 05, 2016, 11:54:27 AM

Certainly female voices are inappropriate.

Because we know that the Notre Dame  never used them in Machault's day?

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2016, 12:40:20 PM

Because we know that the Notre Dame  never used them in Machault's day?

That and the issue of pitch that you did not quote.

Mandryka

prémont

Quote from: sanantonio on December 05, 2016, 11:54:27 AM
The issue is how the parts are pitched.  There is some recent scholarship that suggests the perception of where in the tessitura these parts would fall was possibly a fourth lower than we have commonly thought/used. 

If so was the case, the scoring with two tenors and two basses seems to be the only ppssibility.

Quote from: sanantonio
Certainly female voices are inappropriate.

Well, female voices are obviously inauthentic, and I also prefer male voices, though I have heard some beautiful recordings using female voices.

However the point of my former post was to mention the pairing of the four parts in the Messe. The chosen pitch used for the Messe does not change this.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2016, 12:40:20 PM
The higher voices do grab your attention in Kandel's  recording, inevitably - on the other hand I think that the mens' voices are clear and characterful.

I do think it was strange that he used a women's choir given the historical preparation, and I remember being disappointed that his booklet essay doesn't discuss the decision.

As you have pointed out Kandel's recording is very beautiful. And probably too beautiful. I still adhere to Clemencic. I think he achieves the right character of the work.

But the thought that it should be sung a forth below what we are used to, is intriguing.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Dee Sharp

Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites; Sibelius: Pelleas and Melisande. Karajan/Berlin. Lush and lovely.

Todd

Lucas DeBargue's sophomore effort.  He sounds better in a pure studio setting than a live recording setting, but the disc is mixed.  The Bach Toccata is C minor is enjoyable start to finish.  LvB 10/3 is more problematic.  DeBargue's apparently unorthodox technique doesn't see fully up to the challenge in the opening and closing movement.  Though there are no errors, it seems a bit labored and doesn't flow at times.  Of course, part of that is due to DeBargue's personal rubato and accents.  The Largo is the best thing here, though it is devoid of truly potent forte playing, but the offset comes in lovely details brought out by slow, deliberate playing.  An idea-filled take, but not one of the greats.  The Medtner Op 5 sonata doesn't really float my boat musically, though some of the same traits evident in the Beethoven are also evident here.  There's enough here to make me think I'll try his next disc, provided the repertoire is halfway interesting.

Sound is superb.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

The String Quartet No. 2 in A major, Op. 68 and Piano Quintet in G minor, Op. 57 from this newly acquired recording:

Sounds fantastic so far.

Ken B

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 05, 2016, 01:10:31 PM
As you have pointed out Kandel's recording is very beautiful. And probably too beautiful. I still adhere to Clemencic. I think he achieves the right character of the work.

But the thought that it should be sung a forth below what we are used to, is intriguing.
I don't know Kandel but do like Clemencic. I have several recordings of this. Clearly though I need to catch up on some newer ones if there are new approaches on pitch.

TD Bach Gardiner disc 35

André

Francesco Guerrero: Requiem (1528-1599).

A friend of mine has copied a few Medieval-Renaissance music discs for my edjucation (admittedly a blind spot in my musical make up). So far this is the only one that has kindled something of an interest. Somewhat. At least I am not actively irritated.

cilgwyn

This has just got to be one of the best of the Abravanel cycle. The recording quality is also one of the best in the cycle. If not the best! I like this performance. (I was a bit worried about putting this on after Abbado!) If I had to keep just one of these Abravanel Mahler recordings it might just be this one?! Those marches really have a spring in their step,and you can hear so much detail;every drum thwack.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2016, 01:35:26 PM

Listening to the Piano Quintet again. 8) It's been ages since I've actually listened to the work. The last performance I listened to was on Chandos (w/ the Borodin Trio + other musicians). This performance from Hamelin and the Takacs has really exceeded my expectations overall. A must-buy recording for anyone who loves this work (and the SQ2 for that matter).

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Todd on December 05, 2016, 01:34:17 PM

Lucas DeBargue's sophomore effort.  He sounds better in a pure studio setting than a live recording setting, but the disc is mixed.  The Bach Toccata is C minor is enjoyable start to finish.  LvB 10/3 is more problematic.  DeBargue's apparently unorthodox technique doesn't see fully up to the challenge in the opening and closing movement.  Though there are no errors, it seems a bit labored and doesn't flow at times.  Of course, part of that is due to DeBargue's personal rubato and accents.  The Largo is the best thing here, though it is devoid of truly potent forte playing, but the offset comes in lovely details brought out by slow, deliberate playing.  An idea-filled take, but not one of the greats.  The Medtner Op 5 sonata doesn't really float my boat musically, though some of the same traits evident in the Beethoven are also evident here.  There's enough here to make me think I'll try his next disc, provided the repertoire is halfway interesting.

Sound is superb.

I think those are definitely interpretive decisions rather than technical limitations. I'd wager that parts of the Medtner are far harder to play than the Beethoven!

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to The Oceanides. I always felt that this work, along with The Tempest incidental music, was one of Sibelius' most colorful creations.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2016, 04:47:33 PM
Now:

Listening to The Oceanides. I always felt that this work, along with The Tempest incidental music, was one of Sibelius' most colorful creations.

Great disc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

It's almost impossible to choose a BBB (Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner) set of symphonies. Simply impossible.

So it proves with the symphonies of Malcolm Arnold. The spectrum of tempi, emotions, orchestral possibilities is - maybe not infinite - but at this point, far from having been used up. The colourful, rambunctious Hickox version of symphonies 1 and 2 is squarely different from Arnold's own gruff, massive take on his own works (presumably, Arnold was well-versed in conducting, having served as principal horn for the London Philharmonic in the post WWII years under Boult among others).

Be that as it may, these are extraordinarily powerful statements. A rather intriguing fact is the definite emotional downward curve between the first two symphonies. Something strange and severe must have happened between Opp. 22 and 40.