Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

André

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2021, 12:46:07 PM
Part II

Si j'étais Roi - and this particular recording of it - is absolutely wonderful !

Florestan

Quote from: André on March 16, 2021, 01:31:31 PM
Si j'étais Roi - and this particular recording of it - is absolutely wonderful !

I chose wisely, then, right?  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

André

Florestan

Quote from: André on March 16, 2021, 01:54:52 PM
Indeed !  ;)

What's the best Le postiilon de Longjumeau on CD?

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2021, 12:39:51 PM
Part I

Good boxes here.  Especially the Auryn Q set, which I consider a sleeper.  Darned good performances but are easily overlooked.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on March 16, 2021, 02:02:06 PM
Good boxes here.  Especially the Auryn Q set, which I consider a sleeper.  Darned good performances but are easily overlooked.

I'm not a native English speaker. What does sleeper mean in this context?

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2021, 02:04:36 PM
I'm not a native English speaker. What does sleeper mean in this context?

A great hit that was not expected to be so.  Not to say that people think that it was bad a priori just that it didn't have much surrounding hype.  For me never seen a lot of discussion of Auryn Q's Schubert cycle (I think most people don't listen to the early quartets anyway) and I bought it because I liked their Haydn.  And I was like wow this is a great cycle!

André

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2021, 01:57:44 PM
What's the best Le postiilon de Longjumeau on CD?

I can't tell you, I only know the Gedda recording. One of my friends was smitten by this dvd:

Florestan

Quote from: André on March 16, 2021, 02:10:26 PM
I can't tell you, I only know the Gedda recording. One of my friends was smitten by this dvd:

Thanks!

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on March 16, 2021, 02:09:06 PM
A great hit that was not expected to be so.  Not to say that people think that it was bad a priori just that it didn't have much surrounding hype.  For me never seen a lot of discussion of Auryn Q's Schubert cycle (I think most people don't listen to the early quartets anyway) and I bought it because I liked their Haydn.  And I was like wow this is a great cycle!

Thank you!

Carlo Gesualdo

For tonight the ''Plat de résistance'' is the great, the grandiose...

Johannes Ockeghem, a legendary composer of kingdom of Burgundy, a crucial, a credential composer of early renaissance .

Needless to says I adore this first class composer of  his era the 15th century. I will listen to  the Capella Cordina ensemble - Aléjandro Planchart has director, love his work whit Missa Caput & chansons.

If got some time left, won't fall asleep prematurely, will try the Beauty Farm double CD whit four masses,  after many listen , find it pleasant and enjoy it.

If totally insomniac, will shift to Guillaume Dufay on Alpha classical, they done a great job whit Dufay. So that it for now goodnight.

Mirror Image

Florestan

Whichever will make me love the music I'll keep it. There's also the possibility that I'll delete them both.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on March 17, 2021, 11:01:23 AM

Whichever will make me love the music I'll keep it. There's also the possibility that I'll delete them both.

Honestly, I can't see you getting into Webern's more mature music, Andrei. How do you feel about Schoenberg and Berg?

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 17, 2021, 11:14:20 AM
Honestly, I can't see you getting into Webern's more mature music, Andrei.

I can't either.  :D

How do you feel about Schoenberg and Berg?

Gurrelieder okay, Verklaerte Nacht moderately okay.. Berg's VC moderately okay. That's pretty much all I've heard of them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on March 17, 2021, 12:18:25 PM
I can't either.  :D

Gurrelieder okay, Verklaerte Nacht moderately okay.. Berg's VC moderately okay. That's pretty much all I've heard of them.

Proceed with caution, but do jump into the chemical-filled pool that is the Second Viennese School! Be sure to rinse off after your swim. :P Of course, I LOVE Schoenberg and Berg, but I remain somewhat ambivalent about Webern, although I do very much enjoy several of his works.

André

Peter made me do it !  $:)

aligreto

Frescobaldi Il Primo Libro di Capricci [Vartolo]

Que

Going to do a few 2 discs orders at europadisc: on sale and without VAT the value is just low enough to fly under the radar of Dutch customs:

I didn't have the Morales on disc yet, and want it on my listening pile for this season.

Q