Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on December 22, 2017, 11:24:50 AM
Of course, I also deeply regret that VW never completed that cello concerto, but I am grateful to David Matthews for his beautiful realization of existing sketches of the slow movement, which he titled Dark Pastoral (great name). It's available on this very nice Dutton CD:

[asin]B0095Y0CLO[/asin]
Yes, I have that CD too Kyle.'Dark Pastoral' is indeed a great name and the work is a fine discovery.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 22, 2017, 10:25:45 AM
I really like the Tuba Concerto - an underrated work. The slow movement is especially fine and stays with me. Even VW proselytisers like James Day in his fine biography of Vaughan Williams are negative about it ('the jokes fall flat'). I think he is wrong. The Tuba Concerto, like the diminutive and often dismissed Oboe Concerto ('off cuts of the 5th Symphony') and the 'Harmonica Romance' all deserve more attention IMHO. So, all credit to John for featuring it here. I think that the Previn/Fletcher version is the best. Sadly Fletcher, the tuba soloist, died quite young. I remember him being interviewed about it decades ago on TV.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fletcher_(tubist)

Agree with every word. The Oboe Concerto is a fine work. I especially love those wistful moments in this concerto like in the final movement. The remarkable thing about RVW is even though I wasn't born in England, I can feel this country in every measure. I do have some English ancestry of course, but he's one of those rare composers that hit me right in the face on my very first-listen of his music. I was completely emotionally invested in this music from the beginning.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 22, 2017, 10:25:45 AM
The slow movement is especially fine and stays with me.
Also try it in its version for cello and orchestra, here by Julian Lloyd Webber:
https://www.youtube.com/v/Luk9Nd-Du-U
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 22, 2017, 10:37:03 PM
Also try it in its version for cello and orchestra, here by Julian Lloyd Webber:
https://www.youtube.com/v/Luk9Nd-Du-U

How extraordinary! Thank you very much for posting this Johan. I have already ordered the CD   ::). Fortunately I found a second hand copy going cheaply and as it was in support of the 'Air Ambulance' I felt less guilty about doing so. Did VW sanction a version for cello? It works well and the rest of the programme looks interesting - so, thanks again.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2017, 04:58:39 PM
Agree with every word. The Oboe Concerto is a fine work. I especially love those wistful moments in this concerto like in the final movement. The remarkable thing about RVW is even though I wasn't born in England, I can feel this country in every measure. I do have some English ancestry of course, but he's one of those rare composers that hit me right in the face on my very first-listen of his music. I was completely emotionally invested in this music from the beginning.

My experience was much the same John and you certainly don't need to be born in England to appreciate the 'English' qualities of his music. In fact don't they say that creative artists are often not appreciated in their own countries. After VW died there was quite a strong reaction against his music, which was perhaps inevitable considering the changing trajectory of music at that time. Britten was especially hostile to VW's music. You mentioned how composers like Diamond, Schumann, Harris and even Copland I think don't get performed very often in the USA. It was a miracle that I ever heard Moeran's Symphony performed here, not to mention two of Bax's symphonies. As a school pupil in the early 70s I had a Saturday job in the record department of WH Smiths in Earl's Court, London. I remember playing some VW once and a man came over to ask what I was playing and he couldn't believe how beautiful it was and that he had never heard of the composer. The man was Spanish I remember. I think it's just a case of having the opportunity of being exposed to the music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 22, 2017, 11:59:21 PM
My experience was much the same John and you certainly don't need to be born in England to appreciate the 'English' qualities of his music. In fact don't they say that creative artists are often not appreciated in their own countries. After VW died there was quite a strong reaction against his music, which was perhaps inevitable considering the changing trajectory of music at that time. Britten was especially hostile to VW's music. You mentioned how composers like Diamond, Schuman, Harris and even Copland I think don't get performed very often in the USA. It was a miracle that I ever heard Moeran's Symphony performed here, not to mention two of Bax's symphonies. As a school pupil in the early 70s I had a Saturday job in the record department of WH Smiths in Earl's Court, London. I remember playing some VW once and a man came over to ask what I was playing and he couldn't believe how beautiful it was and that he had never heard of the composer. The man was Spanish I remember. I think it's just a case of having the opportunity of being exposed to the music.

That's very true, Jeffrey. Good music transcends borders and finds a way into our hearts.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 22, 2017, 11:49:38 PM
How extraordinary! Thank you very much for posting this Johan. I have already ordered the CD   ::). Fortunately I found a second hand copy going cheaply and as it was in support of the 'Air Ambulance' I felt less guilty about doing so. Did VW sanction a version for cello? It works well and the rest of the programme looks interesting - so, thanks again.  :)
I'm not sure, but I think this version for cello is by RVW himself. It may console Kyle a bit  :D that we actually can compile an alternative 'cello concerto' out of his three pieces for cello and orchestra:
1. Dark Pastoral (from the unfinished cello concerto, 1943) [11:00]
2. Romanza (from the Bass Tuba concerto, 1954)  [5:10]
3. Fantasia on Sussex Folk Tunes (1929, written for Pablo Casals) [8:15]
https://www.youtube.com/v/E5tquD727ik  https://www.youtube.com/v/Luk9Nd-Du-U https://www.youtube.com/v/aDInLw2MwsA

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 23, 2017, 08:22:38 AM
I'm not sure, but I think this version for cello is by RVW himself. It may console Kyle a bit  :D that we actually can compile an alternative 'cello concerto' out of his three pieces for cello and orchestra:
https://www.youtube.com/v/E5tquD727ik  https://www.youtube.com/v/Luk9Nd-Du-U https://www.youtube.com/v/aDInLw2MwsA

Excellent idea Johan! You should copyright this and get all the royalties.  8)

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on December 23, 2017, 08:22:38 AM

Ah, excellent! :) I wasn't aware of the cello arrangement of the slow movement from the Tuba Concerto, and I've yet to listen to the Fantasia on Sussex Folk Tunes.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Another one of my favorite VW works which doesn't seem to get discussed much is the Phantasy Quintet. What a beautiful work! I especially love the energetic second movement with its catchy ostinato in 7/4 time.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on December 23, 2017, 10:45:38 AM
Another one of my favorite VW works which doesn't seem to get discussed much is the Phantasy Quintet. What a beautiful work! I especially love the energetic second movement with its catchy ostinato in 7/4 time.

I agree and also a big thumbs up from me for the 'Fantasia on Sussex Folk Tunes' - especially as I live in Sussex!

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on December 23, 2017, 10:45:38 AM

RVW's chamber music doesn't get discussed enough! Yes, the Phantasy Quintet is fantastic. I absolutely adore the Romance for viola and piano. This may (or may not) be viewed as a 'minor' work, but I think it's gorgeous from start to finish. The Nash Ensemble's recordings of the chamber music on Hyperion are indispensable.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2017, 04:24:49 PM
RVW's chamber music doesn't get discussed enough! Yes, the Phantasy Quintet is fantastic. I absolutely adore the Romance for viola and piano. This may (or may not) be viewed as a 'minor' work, but I think it's gorgeous from start to finish. The Nash Ensemble's recordings of the chamber music on Hyperion are indispensable.

The late craggy Violin Sonata is my favourite VW chamber work and I also like the String Quartet 2 'For Jean on her Birthday' with its links to the 6th Symphony. Today would be a good day to play 'Hodie' with its wonderfully inspiriting conclusion or the 'Fantasia on Christmas Carols'.

Biffo

The cynic in me thinks that, given the state of the world, Dona nobis pacem would be a better choice. It is not very cheery but it does end with a glorious statement of the Christmas message.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 23, 2017, 11:23:27 PM
The late craggy Violin Sonata is my favourite VW chamber work and I also like the String Quartet 2 'For Jean on her Birthday' with its links to the 6th Symphony. Today would be a good day to play 'Hodie' with its wonderfully inspiriting conclusion or the 'Fantasia on Christmas Carols'.

Yes, the Violin Sonata is a wonderful work, too! I need to revisit String Quartet No. 2. I'll be giving Hodie a spin tonight. 8)

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2017, 06:06:52 AMYes, the Violin Sonata is a wonderful work, too! I need to revisit String Quartet No. 2. I'll be giving Hodie a spin tonight. 8)
Hodie is big fun, an octogenarian enjoying Christmas and even composing some very moving 'carols' for the most intimate moments of the spectacle. Attended a live performance, once. But the ultimate Vaughan Williams' Christmas Eve is of course this CD:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on December 24, 2017, 07:04:51 AM
Hodie is big fun, an octogenarian enjoying Christmas and even composing some very moving 'carols' for the most intimate moments of the spectacle. Attended a live performance, once. But the ultimate Vaughan Williams' Christmas Eve is of course this CD:

Yep, that's a great disc indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on December 24, 2017, 12:55:30 AM
The cynic in me thinks that, given the state of the world, Dona nobis pacem would be a better choice. It is not very cheery but it does end with a glorious statement of the Christmas message.

I rather agree with you Geoff and DNP is one of my favourite VW works as well - would be a good choice.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 24, 2017, 07:04:51 AM

Great that you have heard 'Hodie' live - something I never have. The Milton setting at the end is one of my favourite moments in all of VW's music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2017, 06:06:52 AM
Yes, the Violin Sonata is a wonderful work, too! I need to revisit String Quartet No. 2. I'll be giving Hodie a spin tonight. 8)

This is the perfect night to listen to 'Hodie' John - especially in the Willcocks recording. Hope you enjoy it!
😀