Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Coincidentally,  I have just listened to Slatkin/Philharmonia and his overall timing isn't too different from the Rochester recording.  Without thinking about timings, it didn't seem rushed though Slatkin does have a very lively Scherzo. I was also impressed by his beautiful tender Lento. I don't have any other versions to hand to make comparisons

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 19, 2018, 06:34:27 AM
Yes, the CD booklet makes it look like it is the 1920 version.
Yes, it's misleading.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Biffo on April 19, 2018, 12:51:52 AMEdit: It was the versions made between 1918 and 1920 that involved the largest cuts, roughly 25-30% of the original score.

The 1920 version was published no? Nothing to prevent it being performed except respect for VW's wishes. Copyright must be expired by now, no?

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 19, 2018, 08:09:24 AM
Coincidentally,  I have just listened to Slatkin/Philharmonia and his overall timing isn't too different from the Rochester recording.  Without thinking about timings, it didn't seem rushed though Slatkin does have a very lively Scherzo. I was also impressed by his beautiful tender Lento. I don't have any other versions to hand to make comparisons

I listened yesterday to Slatkin's 'A Pastoral Symphony' and enjoyed it despite the fast tempo. I found it to be a very passionate and atmospheric version which gripped me more than many other recordings. It is being performed at the London Proms this year, as is 'A London Symphony' (1936) and Dona Nobis Pacem.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 19, 2018, 01:43:26 PM
The 1920 version was published no? Nothing to prevent it being performed except respect for VW's wishes. Copyright must be expired by now, no?

Not sure how this works. There are three CD versions of the 1920 version. Only one recording was allowed of the 1913 version. I think they need the permission of the RVW Trust. It was Ursula VW who allowed the recording and performance of the 1913 version to take place.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2018, 01:46:05 PM
Not sure how this works. There are three CD versions of the 1920 version. Only one recording was allowed of the 1913 version. I think they need the permission of the RVW Trust. It was Ursula VW who allowed the recording and performance of the 1913 version to take place.

The 1913 version was never published. They didn't have the score unless the RVW trust gave it to them. The 1920 version was published and sits on library shelves around the world. If copyright is still in force they have to pay royalties to perform it, and the copyright holder can deny permission. But when does copyright expire? It's been 98 years. No one can tell you you don't have permission to play Mozart unless his great, great, grandchild says so.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on April 18, 2018, 10:07:38 AM
This disc:

Is it any good ?  Never heard the work, let alone other versions  :D !

Morning Heroes is Bliss' masterpiece I think and the best version is still the 1st recording - Groves RLPO

[asin]B000026LQ8[/asin]

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 19, 2018, 02:33:22 PM
Morning Heroes is Bliss' masterpiece I think and the best version is still the 1st recording - Groves RLPO

[asin]B000026LQ8[/asin]

Then there's the Kibblewhite with Brian Blessed as the narrator. 

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8069169--bliss-investiture-antiphonal-fanfare-prayer-of-st-francis-of-assisi-and-morning-heroes

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 18, 2018, 10:07:38 AM
This disc:

Is it any good ?  Never heard the work, let alone other versions  :D !

OT

I have every CD version ( ::)) - I need to listen to the Richard Baker narration again. I recall him as a BBC newsreader.
The earliest studio recording on EMI (Groves/Westbrook) is still the best although I like the Kibblethwaite/Blessed version as well. The new Andrew Davis version is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned dut to the puny return of the 'canonfire' at the climax of the finale - what a disappointment! However, the original version of 'Hymn to Apollo' on the CD is excellent. I think that Morning Heroes is Bliss's masterpiece.

Roasted Swan

I saw Kibblewaite conduct the work as part of an Armistice concert some years ago - same forces on his recording but with Robert Hardy instead of Brian ("Gordon......Alive???!!!") Blessed who to my ear is far far too histrionic and misses the emotional weight that a more measured delivery brings.  Hardy was excellent.

Richard Baker was an actor before he became synonymous with news reading and has an excellent poised and resonant delivery but I prefer Groves' Liverpool performance overall

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 20, 2018, 01:52:41 AM
I saw Kibblewaite conduct the work as part of an Armistice concert some years ago - same forces on his recording but with Robert Hardy instead of Brian ("Gordon......Alive???!!!") Blessed who to my ear is far far too histrionic and misses the emotional weight that a more measured delivery brings.  Hardy was excellent.

Richard Baker was an actor before he became synonymous with news reading and has an excellent poised and resonant delivery but I prefer Groves' Liverpool performance overall

I never knew that about Richard Baker. Thanks.

André

Thanks, gents. I'll start with the BBC newsreader and assess the situation when I've become more familiar with the work.

One of my favourite Bliss discs is this one:

Shield of Faith is a big work, and the other items are also truly wonderful.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/dec99/bliss.htm

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 20, 2018, 05:04:20 AM
Thanks, gents. I'll start with the BBC newsreader and assess the situation when I've become more familiar with the work.

One of my favourite Bliss discs is this one:

Shield of Faith is a big work, and the other items are also truly wonderful.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/dec99/bliss.htm

Definitely on my list. Thanks for the recommendation Andre.
:)

Maestro267

Back to Vaughan Williams, I'm currently listening to the Symphony No. 8 (Philharmonia/Slatkin). Since I first heard it around 10 years ago, I've associated it with warm spring evenings like the one I'm currently experiencing now. It's one of my favourites of his symphonies. His experiments with sonorities are astounding for the age he was at the time. I love how RVW dedicates the inner movements to wind/brass and strings respectively. And then that spectacular finale with all the percussion! The story of him spending the interval of a performance of Turandot in deep conversation with the tuned-gong player, inspiring him to use gongs in the 8th.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 20, 2018, 09:51:47 AM
Back to Vaughan Williams, I'm currently listening to the Symphony No. 8 (Philharmonia/Slatkin). Since I first heard it around 10 years ago, I've associated it with warm spring evenings like the one I'm currently experiencing now. It's one of my favourites of his symphonies. His experiments with sonorities are astounding for the age he was at the time. I love how RVW dedicates the inner movements to wind/brass and strings respectively. And then that spectacular finale with all the percussion! The story of him spending the interval of a performance of Turandot in deep conversation with the tuned-gong player, inspiring him to use gongs in the 8th.

I agree - it's an underrated work which I like very much - especially the 'Cavatina' slow movement. One of my favourite CDs has Boult performing it with the LPO coupled with the Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra (Vronsky/Babin). It's a Japanese reissue of the original LP release with Sir Gerald Kelly's fine painting of VW on the cover. The only downside, from my point of view, is the notes being exclusively in Japanese. It was Symphony No.8 which Boult chose to perform on the centenary of VW's birth (12/10/1972) at the Festival Hall in London, at a concert attended by my youthful self. He also performed 'Job' which is dedicated to Boult. That was the first time I heard the work. On Wenlock Edge was the other work I remember from the concert. A few day's later I was there again, this time to hear Boult conduct Symphony 5 in Westminster Abbey where VW's ashes are buried.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2018, 11:40:28 PM
I agree - it's an underrated work which I like very much - especially the 'Cavatina' slow movement. One of my favourite CDs has Boult performing it with the LPO coupled with the Concerto for Two Pianos and Orchestra (Vronsky/Babin). It's a Japanese reissue of the original LP release with Sir Gerald Kelly's fine painting of VW on the cover. The only downside, from my point of view, is the notes being exclusively in Japanese. It was Symphony No.8 which Boult chose to perform on the centenary of VW's birth (12/10/1972) at the Festival Hall in London, at a concert attended by my youthful self. He also performed 'Job' which is dedicated to Boult. That was the first time I heard the work. On Wenlock Edge was the other work I remember from the concert. A few day's later I was there again, this time to hear Boult conduct Symphony 5 in Westminster Abbey where VW's ashes are buried.

Wow, what an amazing experience that must have been!

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 21, 2018, 06:38:26 AM
Wow, what an amazing experience that must have been!

It really was - I was only 17 at the time but luckily was brought up in Central London so I could easily get to both concerts. I had only recently discovered Vaughan Williams's music. Of course one cannot recapture the wide-eyed wonder of youth but it is a very happy memory.

vandermolen

Interesting looking new Release:
[asin]B07C5NSRYP[/asin]
Always interesting to hear non-British orchestras performing VW.

This seems to be a review of the concert on which the new CD is based:

https://www.torontoconcertreviews.ca/november-17-2017-vaughan-williams---tso---roy-thomson-hall.html

I will get this for the underrated Piano Concerto and Flos Campi.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2018, 01:44:52 PM
Interesting looking new Release:
[asin]B07C5NSRYP[/asin]
Always interesting to hear non-British orchestras performing VW.

This seems to be a review of the concert on which the new CD is based:

https://www.torontoconcertreviews.ca/november-17-2017-vaughan-williams---tso---roy-thomson-hall.html

I will get this for the underrated Piano Concerto and Flos Campi.

I have already bought this album as a lossless download but so far only listened to the Serenade to Music. Looking forward to the rest, especially to hearing the Piano Concerto. I already have Howard Shelley (1984) and the two-piano version (Vronsky & Babin) but a new interpretation will be interesting.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on May 05, 2018, 12:48:06 AM
I have already bought this album as a lossless download but so far only listened to the Serenade to Music. Looking forward to the rest, especially to hearing the Piano Concerto. I already have Howard Shelley (1984) and the two-piano version (Vronsky & Babin) but a new interpretation will be interesting.
I'll be interested to hear what you think. I don't especially like the Serenade to Music, much to the horror of some others here but the PC is a great favourite, although I tend to prefer the double piano version, which was the one I grew up with (Boult/Vronsky and Babin). I've pre-ordered the CD.