Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 16, 2018, 11:30:34 PM
Vandermolen - because of the extensive EMI catalogue of British music for me John Shirley-Quirk's voice is very much the SOUND I associate with 20th Century English Choral music.  As the 'go-to' bass/baritone he appears on so many of the great recordings.  So whether its the Previn/LSO Belshazzar or this Mystical Songs or the Meredith Davis/Village Romeo, I hear Shirley-Quirk in my inner ear.
Totally agree with you. Ian Partridge was the other name I always looked out for - a wonderful singer. Nowadays I rate Roderick Williams very highly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

I agree too. I believe RVW Songs of Travel is Shirley-Quirk's debut recording. I would not be without it.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

JBS

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 12, 2018, 12:59:28 PM
Thanks much -- given your avatar, it means doubly much to me. (I may have, since your comment, updated it with the Mark Eldar cycle, since that's only two symphonies from being completed.)

Manze's Sea Symphony was released at the end of last month, so he only needs to record the Antartica to finish his cycle. (I like it, but it seems others do not.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on December 17, 2018, 08:34:35 AM
Manze's Sea Symphony was released at the end of last month, so he only needs to record the Antartica to finish his cycle. (I like it, but it seems others do not.)

If he were recording for a major record label, this would be the point at which they cancel the cycle...  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 17, 2018, 08:10:33 AM
I agree too. I believe RVW Songs of Travel is Shirley-Quirk's debut recording. I would not be without it.

Me too, although I came to appreciate this work comparatively late. I like both the piano and orchestral versions.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Haitink and the new Brabbins impress me most in this symphony. I've decided not to buy the Manze version, although that has more to do with trying to resist CD gluttony on my part.

SurprisedByBeauty

I think that the 9th is also still missing, right? But that could be one release.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 17, 2018, 04:07:44 AM
Ian Partridge was the other name I always looked out for - a wonderful singer.

Yes absolutely.  Partridge's "On Wenlock Edge" is just gorgeous and I love his one (luxury casting!) line in Sancta Civitas - "I am the bright and morning star......."  His Schubert cycles are rather wonderful too.  Many years ago I did a St. John with him as the Evangelist and it was perfection.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 18, 2018, 10:34:56 AM
Yes absolutely.  Partridge's "On Wenlock Edge" is just gorgeous and I love his one (luxury casting!) line in Sancta Civitas - "I am the bright and morning star......."  His Schubert cycles are rather wonderful too.  Many years ago I did a St. John with him as the Evangelist and it was perfection.

Totally agree about those VW recordings and that moment in Sancta Civitas in particular.

vandermolen

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 18, 2018, 09:51:19 AM
I think that the 9th is also still missing, right? But that could be one release.

Yes, also we haven't had a No.9 from Elder either.

Other than the fine Elder No.3 I rather regret buying the Manze and Elder releases but have been very impressed by the two releases in the Brabbins cycle.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 18, 2018, 10:39:57 PM
Yes, also we haven't had a No.9 from Elder either.

Other than the fine Elder No.3 I rather regret buying the Manze and Elder releases but have been very impressed by the two releases in the Brabbins cycle.
My words.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 19, 2018, 03:29:51 AM
:)
(Except that I listened to most of the Manze and Elder series on Spotify, and decided not to buy them. But find Elder's Pastoral very good (we won't discuss the soprano, will we?)  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

JBS

I do like Manze's recordings, but I felt let down by  what I heard of Elder's. They seemed well below the level of his Elgar.
IIRC, I got the first 2 RVW releases and stopped after that.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Biffo

Until the severely disappointing disc of Nos 4 & 6 I rated Elder's cycle very highly with Nos 1, 3 & 8 being among the very best.

vandermolen

Sensational performance of Symphony 4 (1950)
[asin]B009IQA17Y[/asin]
I put this on for the Benjamin tonight but listened to the VW as well. I'd say that this was a deeply felt a performance of this work and better IMHO than the composer's much lauded 1937 recording. Barbirolli is about 5 minutes longer but it is better recorded and less of a rush through the score.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 29, 2018, 01:57:02 PM
Sensational performance of Symphony 4 (1950)

Ditto for Antarctica.

I always think of Boult and Barbirolli as the yin and yang of Vaughan Williams with Previn somewhere in between. I have most of the mono Decca Boult set but unfortunately not the 7th. So the comparison was between Barbirolli with the later stereo EMI Boult. Sir Adrian is more of a symphonist and that is no where more apparent then with Antarctica. With the opening Prelude on Sir John's recording there is a clear vision of trudging at a deliberate pace through deep snow, the glaciers and freezing cold are all there. This reading is more cinematic which for me makes it a clear winner. Boult attempts to make more of a symphony of Antarctica which diminishes the effect. The 7th is great music but not a great symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 31, 2018, 07:39:57 AM
Ditto for Antarctica.

I always think of Boult and Barbirolli as the yin and yang of Vaughan Williams with Previn somewhere in between. I have most of the mono Decca Boult set but unfortunately not the 7th. So the comparison was between Barbirolli with the later stereo EMI Boult. Sir Adrian is more of a symphonist and that is no where more apparent then with Antarctica. With the opening Prelude on Sir John's recording there is a clear vision of trudging at a deliberate pace through deep snow, the glaciers and freezing cold are all there. This reading is more cinematic which for me makes it a clear winner. Boult attempts to make more of a symphony of Antarctica which diminishes the effect. The 7th is great music but not a great symphony.

Largely agree although I think that Boult's more objective way with Vaughan Williams works well with the icy wastes of Antartica. Barbirolli brings more warmth to Vaughan Williams.

Irons

Listening to a collection of British piano pieces by John McCabe I came across "Hymn Tune Prelude on Song 13 - Orlando Gibbons". With a title like that how could you not be intrigued by the piece? Short in length but by no means slight in content. I am captivated by the piece. RVW wrote it for Harriet Cohen - easy to see why Bax was smitten - and in typical modesty wrote on the MS "For Harriet Cohen but only if she likes it. If not, delete your name and return to me, I shan't be huffy."

After McCabe, Cohen's tempo was slow and took some getting used to. It did take the work to a higher emotional level, however. In actual fact, Cohen was following instructions from the composer. He wrote before the first performance "I know you will play it beautifully - no, not too quick; and calm but with subconscious emotion".

https://youtu.be/eIffkd6n6-0

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 08, 2019, 12:18:17 AM
Listening to a collection of British piano pieces by John McCabe I came across "Hymn Tune Prelude on Song 13 - Orlando Gibbons". With a title like that how could you not be intrigued by the piece? Short in length but by no means slight in content. I am captivated by the piece. RVW wrote it for Harriet Cohen - easy to see why Bax was smitten - and in typical modesty wrote on the MS "For Harriet Cohen but only if she likes it. If not, delete your name and return to me, I shan't be huffy."

After McCabe, Cohen's tempo was slow and took some getting used to. It did take the work to a higher emotional level, however. In actual fact, Cohen was following instructions from the composer. He wrote before the first performance "I know you will play it beautifully - no, not too quick; and calm but with subconscious emotion".

https://youtu.be/eIffkd6n6-0
Interesting. Must look out for that one.

I see its on a recent CD of VW's piano music which I have. The orchestral version is coupled with Richard Hickox's recording of Symphony 5. I recall really enjoying all the shorter works on that CD, such as 'The Pilgrim's Pavement'.