The Photography Thread

Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

North Star

No photos on this page? We can't have that . . .
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: aligreto on March 24, 2015, 10:55:01 AM
I really like that one too; it has a great "feel" to it.

Terrific picture.  Reminds me of Andre Kertesz early work.  Fascinating, puzzle-like. Maybe you could have a real digital print made in a photography shop?

TD(?):
Shot some today. This is my son. My daughter was in a swimming competition, and we walked to a playground nearby between her rounds.
20150329-DC2C9528-Edit.jpg by Mookalafalas, on Flickr
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 29, 2015, 12:21:21 AM

This is my son. My daughter was in a swimming competition, and we walked to a playground nearby between her rounds.

I hope that your daughter did OK.
Is your son imitating Dad?

Mookalafalas

Quote from: aligreto on March 29, 2015, 03:12:22 AM
I hope that your daughter did OK.
Is your son imitating Dad?

She did OK, thanks. Not great, but she likes it a lot, which is most important.

It didn't occur to me that he was imitating me, but maybe! He is contrary, so when i ask him to stop to take a picture he usually fools around in one way or another.  I was really happy, though, with his choice this time.
It's all good...

Sergeant Rock

Shot some today. This is my son. My daughter was in a swimming competition, and we walked to a playground nearby between her rounds.

Kids being goofy...always a source of fun shots  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Reference goofy kids. My first attempt to shoot my niece (she was around two) was not going well. Every time I lifted the camera to my eye, she'd cover her face.

Her cousins thought that was hilarious and, conspiring together, jumped into the picture to create this See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil tableau. No, I don't know why one of them only has one shoe  :D

My niece, considerably older, torturing her little brother:

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 29, 2015, 06:51:29 AM
Kids being goofy...always a source of fun shots  8)

Sarge

Yeah, they never do what they want us to, which is probably why they, paradoxically, are the best models :laugh:
It's all good...

aligreto

And some kids just love to pose in front of a lens....

....the son of a friend of mine.

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 24, 2015, 10:55:48 AM
No photos on this page? We can't have that . . .

That tree looks alive - the ones I pass by when I walk to the studio are far less healthy looking. And I could be wrong, but it appears that lens is showing the beginnings of a swirl - a hint of comatic (as opposed to chromatic) aberration. But that can be cool.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Terrific picture.  Reminds me of Andre Kertesz early work.  Fascinating, puzzle-like. Maybe you could have a real digital print made in a photography shop?

Thanks.
Yes, that's an option.  On the rare occasion of dealing directly with a client there's a place we like to use for prints who do consistently good work. But if I do ever print it I think it'll be in the darkroom. Of course the pile of negatives/transparencies that's labeled  'one day I'll print these' rivals that of my 'to read' book list...

TD(?):

Nice shot. And if you don't mind me saying, I'd have any logo or signature on the other side - especially in this instance where there's a really cool little gap of light in your son's shadow. Its the sort of thing that should be allowed room without anything potentially distracting from it. Just my humble opinion, I'm not intending to critique.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 29, 2015, 07:27:46 AM
Reference goofy kids. My first attempt to shoot my niece (she was around two) was not going well. Every time I lifted the camera to my eye, she'd cover her face.

Her cousins thought that was hilarious and, conspiring together, jumped into the picture to create this See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil tableau. No, I don't know why one of them only has one shoe  :D

My niece, considerably older, torturing her little brother:

Sarge

Good work. I know how difficult it can be to photograph children - but that first one in particular is full of character.

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on March 29, 2015, 01:20:42 PM
And some kids just love to pose in front of a lens....

....the son of a friend of mine.

Yes, some subjects are naturals and completely at home in front of a camera. But the work of capturing it still needs to happen. And in this instance you've certainly done so, with the result of a good shot.

NikF

I don't have much to contribute that I think would be of interest, but I commented above about printing photos and (I think) this is one from the last time I was in a darkroom.
I still exercise a lot. Some of that is in the form of running early in the morning a couple of times a week. And without fail I'm passed by younger people who leave me in the dust...
Anyway, I don't have a smartphone. So when I go running I usually take some kind of little film camera with me. In this instance it was an Olympus X(?) - the rangefinder - and as soon as I heard the guy about to overtake me I managed to get the camera out my pocket, open, crouched down to the road, and released the shutter. The over-exaggerated Dutch angle is a mistake, but kind of understandable in the circumstances.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on March 29, 2015, 01:20:42 PM

Ah, there's the smile I couldn't coax from my niece. Nice.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 31, 2015, 03:28:42 AM
The over-exaggerated Dutch angle is a mistake, but kind of understandable in the circumstances.

I like the angle. Gives the image a sense of motion appropriate to the subject.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Roaming the streets of Mannheim some years ago, on a hot summer's day, I saw this girl who had found a way to keep cool: wading in the fountain at the Wasserturm (Water Tower). She'd ditched her clothes on the statue.

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2015, 03:53:56 AM
I like the angle. Gives the image a sense of motion appropriate to the subject.

Sarge

Thanks. Yes, it brings a dynamic. However I'm perhaps a little jaded by seeing so many examples of Dutch angles that could be more accurately described as 'Australian angles'. My default is almost always 'less is more'.

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2015, 03:58:45 AM
Roaming the streets of Mannheim some years ago, on a hot summer's day, I saw this girl who had found a way to keep cool: wading in the fountain at the Wasserturm (Water Tower). She'd ditched her clothes on the statue.

Sarge

That's a good shot. And it's cool you got the shoes in it - underlining that there's inhibitions being cast off.