Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshot

Jay F

Quote from: orfeo on September 14, 2014, 06:12:31 AM
What, people couldn't just follow the link?
There might not always be something at the other end.

Mookalafalas

Yet another historical box from DG.  Expect the price to come down a lot (it's much cheaper already here in Taiwan).

[asin]B00LNRJMCQ[/asin]
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 18, 2014, 06:02:43 AM
Yet another historical box from DG.  Expect the price to come down a lot (it's much cheaper already here in Taiwan).

[asin]B00LNRJMCQ[/asin]
I fear hellacious duplication on that one.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on September 18, 2014, 07:50:40 AM
I fear hellacious duplication on that one.
Of the five shown, I have four. And if I liked Karajan more, I would have that one too.
Edit.  Amazon has contents.  I have at least 3/4 of them, and the ones I do not have are the ones I have no great desire to own (eg, Tchaikovsky Ballet Suites) or don't own because of side issues this will not solve (eg double CDs of Tchaikovsky Symohonies 4-6 always split the Fifth between two discs, which I hate).

Mookalafalas

Turns out I have one, plus another on my hard-drive.  As it seems this is a whole box of "essential" discs, I had no choice but to get it ::)
It's all good...

NJ Joe

Quote from: Brian on August 28, 2014, 03:53:37 PM

- Bernstein Orchestral-Not-Symphonies Edition (on preorder)

Are the contents of this box listed anywhere?
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 20, 2014, 05:28:48 PM
Turns out I have one, plus another on my hard-drive.  As it seems this is a whole box of "essential" discs, I had no choice but to get it ::)

Great choice! These are mostly essential (and/or famous) recordings. I have lots of them (~75%), but it would be nice to have them all in one spot. Uh oh.... tempting, but I think I will hold back for a super duper bargain on that box.  >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Brian

Quote from: NJ Joe on September 20, 2014, 05:44:19 PM
Are the contents of this box listed anywhere?
The contents of CDs 1-52 are here. Complete Columbia/RCA/Sony orchestral recordings that are not symphonies.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on September 20, 2014, 06:02:15 PM
Great choice! These are mostly essential (and/or famous) recordings. I have lots of them (~75%), but it would be nice to have them all in one spot. Uh oh.... tempting, but I think I will hold back for a super duper bargain on that box.  >:D

I got mine for $115.  That seems like a reasonable price and I'm sure it will get there at major outlets eventually.  DG, however, tends to show some restraint in slashing prices (unlike Sony ;D, god bless them!).
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 20, 2014, 06:55:04 PM
  I got mine for $115.  That seems like a reasonable price and I'm sure it will get there at major outlets eventually.  DG, however, tends to show some restraint in slashing prices (unlike Sony ;D, god bless them!).

True! Sony tends to drop quite a bit. The DG Originals box requires some deliberation.....   :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on September 20, 2014, 10:40:52 PM
True! Sony tends to drop quite a bit. The DG Originals box requires some deliberation.....   :'(

If you have 75% of them, I don't see how you can justify it!  I dislike dupes, myself, and generally give them away (I would sell them if I could do it without the hassle of ebay type stuff).

By the way, Moonfish, what are your thoughts about the Phase-4 set?  I am very curious to hear it, but except for the Stokowski (and maybe not even that) it really doesn't look like much of it is likely to be top-shelf material.  However, much of it still looks intriguing...
It's all good...

NJ Joe

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2014, 06:10:29 PM
The contents of CDs 1-52 are here. Complete Columbia/RCA/Sony orchestral recordings that are not symphonies.

Thanks, Brian.  Some of the translations are quite amusing.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 20, 2014, 11:15:21 PM
  If you have 75% of them, I don't see how you can justify it!  I dislike dupes, myself, and generally give them away (I would sell them if I could do it without the hassle of ebay type stuff).

By the way, Moonfish, what are your thoughts about the Phase-4 set?  I am very curious to hear it, but except for the Stokowski (and maybe not even that) it really doesn't look like much of it is likely to be top-shelf material.  However, much of it still looks intriguing...

Hmm, the Phase-4 set doesn't appeal to me at all. The compilation seems to be geared towards a very specific and unique niche. Bargain bin stuff for sure....   ???  However, I am sure that it has an appeal to some listeners. It is a strange blend of recordings!
Anna Lappé

Jo498

The DG Box is boring; most people already have the stuff they's want from this one in their shelves (at least I do) and do not care for the others; furthermore all of this is easily available separately. So it's only a bargain if you ignored all those standard recordings for years or are really new to the field.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

The new erato

Quote from: bigshot on September 14, 2014, 12:04:06 PM
Furtwangler conducted the Wiener Phil.
He wangled the wiener? ???

NorthNYMark

Quote from: Jo498 on September 21, 2014, 12:01:58 PM
The DG Box is boring; most people already have the stuff they's want from this one in their shelves (at least I do) and do not care for the others; furthermore all of this is easily available separately. So it's only a bargain if you ignored all those standard recordings for years or are really new to the field.

I have about 1/5 of it (being relatively new to the field).  I am tempted by much of the rest, but somewhat turned off by a relatively superficial issue--if they are going to go the "original jacket" route, why, oh why, use the grotesquely cropped "Originals" cover format?  I can't imagine it would be that difficult for them to give us the actual original artwork for these classic albums!

Jo498

I guess they wanted to keep the "originals" design which made some sense (not much) 20 years ago, because all mid-price re-issue series had a changed cover so this was as close to the original as possible.
But meanwhile they have done a few boxes with untilted original covers, e.g. I have a Fischer-Dieskau "Original Masters" Box with such covers (although all my other boxes from this serious have the most flimsy paper covers without any picture).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

bigshot

Quote from: Jo498 on September 21, 2014, 12:01:58 PM

My family had a few of these when I was a kid. I remember the New World being good. The real interesting thing in this set is the soundtracks though. There's some first class film composers represented in there.