No, it's sacrilege
3 (9.1%)
Ok, but prefer period instruments
17 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Marc

Quote from: James on May 06, 2014, 01:13:18 PM
I'll check it out.

Sergio Vartolo's recording of Die Kunst der Fuge (Naxos) comes in mind, too.
Beautiful recording and a rather idiosyncratic performance.

Wakefield

Quote from: jochanaan on May 06, 2014, 08:04:24 AM
True, and an excellent point.  But the fortepiano of Scarlatti's and Bach's time was little like a modern Steinway or Boesendorfer.

It's true, but not the important point here: the common feature between old and modern pianos, it's that they can be played at different volumes by hitting the keys harder or softer. By doing this it's possible to avoid the (sometimes) irritating percussive character of Scarlatti's music played on harpsichord.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Marc

Quote from: James on May 06, 2014, 01:24:23 PM
No samples provided [....]

I know it's 'just' Scarlatti, but maybe this link works for you (from the Dutch central library):

http://www.muziekweb.nl/Link/CAX0089

Ken B

Quote from: Jay F on May 06, 2014, 12:22:59 PM
I don't get a headache from listening to harpsichord. I just get headaches. And when I already have one, harpsichord recordings make some of the most clangorous sounds. I like them fine, though, when I don't have a headache.
Hmmmmm. Might that bombastic Mahler be causing the headaches?
;)

Wakefield

Quote from: James on May 06, 2014, 08:56:32 AM
Can you please name me one recording where the sound is "very good" in your estimation then. Thanks.

There is a lot of modern examples. Just to mention one:

[asin]B000088SU7[/asin]
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Marc

Wakefield

Quote from: James on May 06, 2014, 01:39:04 PM
Awful. Sounds compressed & muted to shit.

Of course, if you're listening to YouTube through a laptop.

-- Voltaire

Marc

Quote from: Gordo on May 06, 2014, 01:45:50 PM

I still do a lot of library pre-listening.
Please Lord, save the Public Library from doom!

Marc

Quote from: James on May 06, 2014, 01:48:10 PM
Nothing special here .. too ambient, muddy.

James, maybe the harpsichord just isn't your thing.
Better not waste any more listening time and remain faithful to the piano.

Wakefield

Quote from: Marc on May 06, 2014, 01:51:21 PM
I still do a lot of library pre-listening.
Please Lord, save the Public Library from doom!

It's a nice chance. Unfortunately, our public libraries here in Chile don't almost have disks, just books. 

At some extent, I'm doing something similar via Spotify and Deezer.
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: James on May 06, 2014, 02:03:25 PM
I would have NEVER gotten into or bothered with Bach's music if I was presented the recordings you guys just suggested.

Another proof (unnecessary, anyway) of your superiority not just as a listener, but ultimately as human being. 
-- Voltaire

Marc

I would have NEVER gotten into or bothered with Bach's music if I was presented the recordings you guys just suggested.

I guess you'll have to wait for a harpsichord Goldberg, recorded in a helicopter.

Sammy

Each suggestion was highly worthy; the problem is between you and the harpsichord.  I think you already knew this.

Which pianists do you prefer for Bach?  Maybe we can get some kind of consensus here.

Jay F

Quote from: Marc on May 06, 2014, 02:13:11 PM
I guess you'll have to wait for a harpsichord Goldberg, recorded in a helicopter.
;D

mc ukrneal

As someone who does not favor the sound of the harpsichord, I found a clip that I enjoyed. I am sure it would sound better on disc, but the warmth of the sound is evident even here, which is something I find to be quite rare in a harpsichord.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ISezbyLtzcg
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Oh I see it's that time of the year again, time for PI vs MI!  After that we can argue over atonality! 

I like Bach on the piano. 

This is what bugs me... Gorecki's Harpsichord Concerto played on piano... but played by his daughter.  Is that recording authentic or not? ;D

kishnevi

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 06, 2014, 11:57:07 AM
ah, the wonders of Youtube - Chopin on Harpsichord

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZDB6-oXT8es

not sure about that one, but there's some interesting clips to be seen in the accompanying playlist of Youtube suggestions.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 06, 2014, 01:17:31 PM
Yes. When Moonfish was saying he wanted to like harpsichord but was having trouble I suggested he stick to recent recordings until the tinny antiquated beast reshaped his soul. (Not in those words  ;) )

I am happy to report that the relationship between myself and the realm of the harpsichord is rapidly improving (especially after all the great recommendations here on GMG). I am actually starting to enjoy Baumont's Couperin quite a bit at this point. It is an intriguing soundscape. At the same time I take time to enjoy different piano renditions as well.  The recent CPE Bach recordings by Markovina have been a delight!

[asin] B000OCZ7WK[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Gordo on May 06, 2014, 01:36:46 PM
There is a lot of modern examples. Just to mention one:

[asin]B000088SU7[/asin]

Obviously we all have very different connections to the music we listen to........
This recording sounds both beautiful and intriguing based on the samples.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on May 06, 2014, 01:45:50 PM

Touché!  ;D
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot