What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 08, 2017, 09:21:48 PM
I didn't know that. Did they work together?

Yes, they did. I don't know how extensively. I think I read the bit about him being Stravinsky's favorite in the Penguin Guide to Jazz. From elsewhere I found this quote:
QuoteOn-stage after a 1975 concert in Boston, the great composer Igor Stravinsky walked through the orchestra to lay his hand on Mr. Davis' shoulder in a tribute rarely accorded a bassist--or any other orchestra member--by the Maestro himself.

Obviously this can't be entirely accurate since Stravinsky died in 1971, but I also heard an excerpt from an interview with Davis where he alludes to this incident ("I never washed that shoulder again"), so I can believe it happened.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

millionrainbows

This Palermo album is fantastic! Also, a Monk I did not have, his fourth.

aligreto

Neil Crowley Trio....

https://www.youtube.com/v/4hWLsrVvqoE

I was introduced to the music of these guys over the weekend. I like them.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brian on October 09, 2017, 07:11:22 AM
I've always loved the !!!!! album. How was the Tyner/Mariano/Terry live? That looks pretty terrific.

I enjoyed the !!!! album (heh), though was a little surprised that it was gentler, less muscular, than I usually expect (or ever heard) from Blakey - not in a bad way though. The Tyner is a solid set, though not as adventurous or essential as a great many others of his.

today:

Art Blakey - A Jazz Message (1964)
Gabor Szabo - More Sorcery (1967)

Ahmad Jamal - At The Top: Poinciana Revisited (1969)
John Klemmer - Waterfalls (1972)

Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village (1966)
Rolf Kühn and Joachim Kühn - Impressions of New York (1967)

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on October 09, 2017, 07:11:22 AM
I've always loved the !!!!! album. How was the Tyner/Mariano/Terry live? That looks pretty terrific.
Hm, I find both somewhat disappointing. I memory doesn't trick me, Terry/Mariano aren't all all tracks and the whole set is a bit ... short-ish, tunes short-ish, not quite enough space to let go. But then Tyner for me really gets into his own during the Blue Note years, and hits a pinnacle with the last BN and first Milestone albums.

The Blakey I always found rather weak, compared to the amazing "Free for All", "Buhaina", "Mosaic", as well as the Riversides by the sextet line-up ... nothing wrong with it, but not one of his finest (but then he churned out so many great albums in so few years, ca. 1954-1965, it's plain amazing anyway!)

Quote from: millionrainbows on October 09, 2017, 09:27:14 AM
This Palermo album is fantastic! Also, a Monk I did not have, his fourth.

What's frrst one, pic is a bit small to read, it's not familiar.

Monk would be 100 today ... great musician! Fourth Columbia studio album, but of course not fourth album :-)

--

Now back to Impulse ;-)

The Szabo and Jamal are nice indeed, the Ayler (I have the 2CD set with the full recordings) and the Kühn bros. pretty great! The Blakey is nice enough - similar actually to the Messengers album on Impulse, I think.

The price question is, if the Klemmer is even half as bad as its cover (then it would be totally unlistenable already, I think  ;D )
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Quote from: millionrainbows on October 09, 2017, 09:27:14 AM
This Palermo album is fantastic!

Ed Palermo is a friend and someone whom I used to play bass with when I lived in NYC.  He's even arranged a few of my tunes for his band, and putting one on a recent album ("Moosh"). 

He is a good guy and great arranger/musician.

Ghost Sonata

Interesting to compare this jazz-inspired performance of the Rite of Spring - a work that easily lends itself to such interpretations - with the Bad Plus' version.  Surprisingly, the Bad Plus performance is the more 'normative.'  I have not heard Hubert Laws'.

[asin]B00000JZ13[/asin]

I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on October 10, 2017, 03:11:22 AM
But then Tyner for me really gets into his own during the Blue Note years, and hits a pinnacle with the last BN and first Milestone albums.

The price question is, if the Klemmer is even half as bad as its cover (then it would be totally unlistenable already, I think  ;D )

Tyner is, I think, someone who has been remarkably consistent over his whole career. Right throygh the 70's 80, and 90s he was recording albums which are at least the equal of the Blue Notes, and in many cases better.

The Klemmer turned out to be way more interesting than the cover art suggested. He makes particularly good use of the Echoplex tepe delay effect on a number of tracks.

played today, one last batch of Impulses before I return to wider jazz listening:

Billy Taylor and Quincy Jones - My Fair Lady Loves Jazz (1966)
Yusef Lateef - Live At Pep's (1966)

Clifford Coulter - East Side, San Jose (1970)
John Handy - Hard Work (1976)

John Klemmer - Constant Throb (1971)
Albert Ayler - Music Is The Healing Force In The Universe (1969)

SimonNZ

Joachim Kühn - Sound Of Feelings (1969)
Oliver Nelson - A Taste Of Honey (1962)

the Taste Of Honey cover makes it look like its the soundtrack to the film, which I'm pretty sure its not

king ubu

@SimonNZ and whomever wants to know: apologies, mentally outta here already ... will be off traveling in a few days for several weeks soon  (quitting my longtime job today, starting a new one in December).

Will be back fersure though  8)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Best of luck with the new job, KU. I look forward to updates on the new life and the new listening.

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 11, 2017, 11:28:25 PM
Best of luck with the new job, KU. I look forward to updates on the new life and the new listening.

Thanks a lot!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Aki Takase and David Murray - Cherry–Sakura (2017)

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

David Murray and Jamaaladeen Tacuma - Rendezvous Suite (2011)
Gary Burton - Picture This (1982)

Artem

Somethin' Else was one of my first jazz purchases some ten years ago based on its critical acclaim. It starts with two amazing tunes, "Autumn Leaves" and "Love for Sale", but afterwards becomes less memorable to me.

[asin]B00000I41J[/asin]

king ubu

Quote from: Artem on October 15, 2017, 01:41:55 AM
Somethin' Else was one of my first jazz purchases some ten years ago based on its critical acclaim. It starts with two amazing tunes, "Autumn Leaves" and "Love for Sale", but afterwards becomes less memorable to me.

[asin]B00000I41J[/asin]

Agree that those are the nicest tracks, but I think it's the title track where that sly dude on trumpet tries out stuff that he would later bring to full bloom on his own rekkid (that ok-ish one called kinda something, dig?  ;) ) ... seriously, I very much love this, I very much love Cannonball anyway. He was popular in his day but never really got his due. An unsung jazz giant.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on October 15, 2017, 02:24:53 AM
seriously, I very much love this, I very much love Cannonball anyway. He was popular in his day but never really got his due. An unsung jazz giant.
Cannonball is my favorite alto sax player, and after hearing all my records he's become my girlfriend's favorite too (she played alto sax in school), although her favorite thing about Cannonball is his voice when he introduces tunes on live sets. She says, and I agree, that he sounds like an awesome guy to grab a drink with, a man who knows how to enjoy life.

SimonNZ

Beverley Kenny - Sings For Johnny Smith (1955)
Barre Phillips - Three Day Moon (1979)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: king ubu on October 11, 2017, 11:33:34 PM
Thanks a lot!

Best wishes from me too! Always look forward to seeing what jazz you're listening to.

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 12, 2017, 08:45:29 PM

Aki Takase and David Murray - Cherry–Sakura (2017)

Hmm. How is that?

And speaking of Murray, TD:
[asin]B002WPZAE2[/asin]

Plus:
[asin]B002UQ9UH6[/asin]
(The Amazon "sticky note" is kind of in the way, so for those unfamiliar, it's Dave Douglas' Constellations.)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara