Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on March 27, 2017, 09:48:16 PM
r.i.p. Arthur Blythe

Oh no! That wasn't why I was playing the Light Blue album earlier - just a sad coincidence. And I was replaying the wonderful Lennox Avenue Breakdown album just a few days ago. Must try a few more that I haven't heard.

RIP

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 27, 2017, 09:53:40 PM
Oh no! That wasn't why I was playing the Light Blue album earlier - just a sad coincidence. And I was replaying the wonderful Lennox Avenue Breakdown album just a few days ago. Must try a few more that I haven't heard.

RIP

He was severely ill for a while (parkinon's - there was a fund established to support him a few years ago). I'll have to squeeze in a a listen to that four-album reissue of his Columbias ("Lenox Avenue Breakdown" I've had as a single reissue already - that's a great one!) and his "The Grip" ... he's amazing on Horace Tapscott's "The Giant Is Awakened" as well (gorgeous reissue on Jonathan Horwich's current label).

I also love those tuba trios ... his mixture of blues and avantgarde - and that fat, gorgeous sound. The sun shone on him.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/a-fireside-chat-with-arthur-blythe-arthur-blythe-by-aaj-staff.php

The news so far only seems to be on his FB page (I'm not part of that but it was reported elsewhere yesterday).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

I don't know that Horace Tapscott album - so I'm going to play it now:

Bogey

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2017, 01:24:53 AM
I don't know that Horace Tapscott album - so I'm going to play it now:

Your quote above is what jazz listening is all about for me.  More than any other music genre, I will pick something up I have never heard (even buy it) and just try it.  Usually works out for me.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

TD

Well, here is where my recording falls short of being complete again, and this one stings a bit.  I am a HUGE fan of jazz soundtracks (the likes of Elmer Bernstein and Henry Mancini and such).  I try to get them on vinyl, but sometimes cd will work just as nicely.  I remember buying this one and being totally captivated without ever have seeing the movie.  Wet streets with atmospheric street light lighting come to mind as occasional autos from the period make their way down less than busy streets after 1 A.M.  This image almost wants me to avoid seeing the film as I am sure I am off in my thinking.

Either way, I have the one on the left and really should have the one on the right.  I believe mine has all the different tracks, just missing the likes of four different versions of some takes.  Maybe someone here can let me know what I've been missing and encourage me to repurchase.   
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: Bogey on March 28, 2017, 04:37:48 AM
TD

Well, here is where my recording falls short of being complete again, and this one stings a bit.  I am a HUGE fan of jazz soundtracks (the likes of Elmer Bernstein and Henry Mancini and such).  I try to get them on vinyl, but sometimes cd will work just as nicely.  I remember buying this one and being totally captivated without ever have seeing the movie.  Wet streets with atmospheric street light lighting come to mind as occasional autos from the period make their way down less than busy streets after 1 A.M.  This image almost wants me to avoid seeing the film as I am sure I am off in my thinking.

Either way, I have the one on the left and really should have the one on the right.  I believe mine has all the different tracks, just missing the likes of four different versions of some takes.  Maybe someone here can let me know what I've been missing and encourage me to repurchase.

Sounds to me like you already have a great appreciation and enjoyment for what you have. My advice would be to simply continue to enjoy the release you have and not worry about the alternate takes. These takes were not used in the actual soundtrack, anyway, right?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Quote from: George on March 28, 2017, 06:18:41 AM
Sounds to me like you already have a great appreciation and enjoyment for what you have. My advice would be to simply continue to enjoy the release you have and not worry about the alternate takes. These takes were not used in the actual soundtrack, anyway, right?

And $12 is $12 which equates to music I do not have.  Yup, I'm good.  Thanks for talking me off of that completest bridge, my friend.

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 28, 2017, 06:07:56 AM
This week, I need a little Miles every day.

http://www.youtube.com/v/wcYhANTD64k

I am coming off a huge Miles kick myself, having explored much deeper into his fusion and later years. I tried listening to the album you posted, but when would stop, I got frustrated, so went running back to Miles Smiles.  8)

Bogey

Quote from: George on March 28, 2017, 06:23:40 AM
I am coming off a huge Miles kick myself, having explored much deeper into his fusion and later years. I tried listening to the album you posted, but when would stop, I got frustrated, so went running back to Miles Smiles.  8)

Not a bad thing to go running back to.

George

Quote from: Bogey on March 28, 2017, 06:20:15 AM
And $12 is $12 which equates to music I do not have.  Yup, I'm good.  Thanks for talking me off of that completest bridge, my friend.

No problem. I am sure I will need the same advice soon.  ;D

Karl Henning

Definitely a mutual support network  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

king ubu

Bogey, are you sure about the tracklists? I replaced my old CD edition (first one you depict) with a later one because sound is supposed to be better, not because of more takes. This is mine.

Both have 26 tracks: full session + initial release/actual soundtrack with added reverb.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2017, 08:54:59 AM
Bogey, you know a Monk soundtrack is coming out next month?
http://www.avclub.com/article/thelonious-monks-only-film-score-finally-released--252486
Interesting enough, I think!

But as opposed to the great "L'ascenseur pour l'echafaud" (very much worth watching for sure!), that film has not aged well at all.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Quote from: king ubu on March 27, 2017, 01:07:12 PM

Playing a few tracks from this set - love the three thematic boxes released in the final days of Fantasy and before Concord made it all break into pieces (I don't blame them too much, but I can't not blame them at all either).

Played the cuts from the sessions with Gene Ammons last night again just now (from the "Side Steps" box), then some of the two-baritones session (with Cecil Payne and Pepper Adams) and the lovely album with Quinichette (alas the box only contains the cuts with Coltrane - same goes for "The Cats" which i really adore -, the two Ammons albums, the Draper album on the "Side Steps" box ... and I think one of the four Red Garland albums - also on "Side Steps" - had a trio cut not available elsewhere, hence I retained those ... only the Draper I didn't and don't have separately). Now it's disc four with the "Wheelin' and Dealin'" session, which is a longtime favourite (just as "The Cats") - Coltrane, Quinichette and Frank Wess (who kicks the asses of everybody else), plus Mal Waldron, Doug Watkins (who kicks the ass of Paul Chambers any day!) and Art Taylor (who kicks no asses really but is very much okay here).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2017, 08:54:59 AM
Bogey, you know a Monk soundtrack is coming out next month?
http://www.avclub.com/article/thelonious-monks-only-film-score-finally-released--252486

Only thanks to you.  I should put you on retainer for informing me of upcoming releases. ;)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Bogey on March 28, 2017, 04:37:48 AM
I remember buying this one and being totally captivated without ever have seeing the movie.  Wet streets with atmospheric street light lighting come to mind as occasional autos from the period make their way down less than busy streets after 1 A.M.  This image almost wants me to avoid seeing the film as I am sure I am off in my thinking.

Actually though its been a while since I've seen it I'm pretty sure there's plenty of that in the film.

I gave away my copy of the soundtrack because I found the programming of all the alternate takes was stopping me from enjoying it, intending to find a cd edition without them or with less,

It might shock the audiophiles, but I'd probably be happy if I found this ten track version:

Bogey

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2017, 01:45:29 PM
Actually though its been a while since I've seen it I'm pretty sure there's plenty of that in the film.

I gave away my copy of the soundtrack because I found the programming of all the alternate takes was stopping me from enjoying it, intending to find a cd edition without them or with less,

It might shock the audiophiles, but I'd probably be happy if I found this ten track version:

Nice!  Just as I imagined it.