What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Tony Fruscella: Tony Fruscella

[asin]B00000IH8X[/asin]

I picked this up almost on a whim while buying other CDs in Camden Market. So far it seems to have been a good decision.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Steve Kuhn - Three Waves (1966)
Jay Epstein - Easy Company (2009)

Kimìya  - Il Viaggio (2017)
Laia Genc Liaison Tonique - Strandgut (2008)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

NikF

Charles Mingus: Mingus Three.

[asin]B000005H9N[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Quote from: NikF on September 22, 2018, 04:15:02 PM
Tony Fruscella: Tony Fruscella

[asin]B00000IH8X[/asin]

I picked this up almost on a whim while buying other CDs in Camden Market. So far it seems to have been a good decision.

Tony Fruscella! Amazing musician! There's a pair of LPs on Spotlite, the "Fru 'n' Bru" with Brew Moore is outstanding, the rest of the session, just with rhythm section (Bill Triglia on piano, his one moment in the spotlight was with Mingus), is probably even better. Definitive (a label to loathe, usually) has done a 4-CD-set with both his studio and live recordings (the stuff with Moore and Triglia is live, there's some early studio cuts, and two tracks with Stan Getz, where Fruscella was the successor of Bob Brookmeyer's, the two cuts ended up on "Stan Getz and the Cool Sounds", a pieced-together LP with some very nice music on it). I'm a bit proud that a friend and me have most likely published (well, in a private, low-profile, but more or less professionally done, magazine) article in German on Fruscella (he was married to Morgana King for a while, the singer that recently died).

Thread duty - earlier today:

The Lloyd is a recent acquisition ... I usually buy Resonance releases the second they appear (next one is Dolphy's Douglas sessions from 1963, with plenty of bonus tracks, probably alternates, but they're making a big secret out of it, as usual, which is annoying), but I'm hot and cold about Lloyd, so that one wasn't a priority. It's pretty nice though. Dorothy Donegan I know nothing about, but wow, she's great! A very personal style somewhere between Tatum and Teddy Wilson, with some modern influence, too.

The Donegan (a first spin) was on a pile just on top of these two CTI discs ... not a favourite label by any stretch, too much gloss (which of course you see by looking at the covers). The Turrentine was another first spin (I think), nothing that will stick, but it's nice enough. The Jackson seems to be a favourite in plenty of houses, but not here. However, I liked it better than during any previous listen, so maybe I'm getting there ... weird thing: the final track sounds completely different, a straight, no-gloss-over production, just the way I prefer it.

Sal Nistico was a mean cat, and that's on ample display here!

And also, a few days back, I gave a first listen to the new opus by Wayne Shorter:

Very nice for sure, but I'll need some time to really figure it out. There's a (less than 80 minute) 2 disc bonus included, a quartet gig from London, which again is great (I loved the previous disc, "Without a Net", on Blue Note ... heck, I just love Shorter's music!)

Other recent spins include parts of this box, which cost a fortune, but the deeper I get into it, the more I'm convinced it was worth that, and much more:

Also, ten days ago, the most important jazz club in town started its new season with Rhoda Scott and her Lady Quartet, so I gave these another spin, too:

Interestingly, I didn't like "We Free Queens" that much when I heard it last year, but after the concert, I enjoyed it a lot! The Bacharach disc with the late Patrick Saussois on guitar is wonderful, nothing deep, but beautiful playing by both.

-

This may be my signing off post for almost 3 weeks, lengthy vacation upcoming. I'll be online of course, but probably not listening to much music ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

George

NikF

Don Ellis: Out of Nowhere.

[asin]B000001V0A[/asin]

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

NikF

Art Farmer: Live At The Half-Note

[asin]B00DS7Z3KE[/asin]

SimonNZ

Juhani Aaltonen - Mother Tongue (2003)

NikF

Serge Chaloff: Blue Serge

[asin]B000009OHC[/asin]

Another cool purchase from Camden Market.

SimonNZ

David Binney - Bastion Of Sanity (2005)

Brian

Quote from: NikF on September 27, 2018, 06:35:17 PM
Serge Chaloff: Blue Serge

Another cool purchase from Camden Market.
Oooh, that one is fun. Thanks for reminding me of it - will dig out my copy and listen next week!

NikF

Quote from: Brian on September 28, 2018, 02:43:33 PM
Oooh, that one is fun. Thanks for reminding me of it - will dig out my copy and listen next week!
You're welcome. Enjoy your relisten.

Stan Getz Quartet: In Paris

[asin]B00005UCL9[/asin]

SimonNZ

NikF

Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio 

[asin]B011EDHDIS[/asin]

SimonNZ

John Abercrombie - The Third Quartet (2007)
Michaël Attias - Credo (2005)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Dave Brubeck Jazz Impressions of New York

Bill Evans The Tokyo Concert included in this box I'm pondering...

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff