All About Streaming Music Services

Started by Wakefield, July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

I'm also very happy with Spotify's 320 kbps sound and can't understand why some people think it's poor. Could it be a bandwidth problem?
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Qobuz sounds better than spotify to me.  The difference is sufficient to make me prefer qobuz when I can, despite the fact that qobuz is harder to use on my equipment, so I guess I'm not happy with spotify's sound.

The differences are partly to do with the placement of the musicians in the sound stage, but also the timbre. Spotify makes the music sound closer even after I adjust for volume, and I don't like that.

I should say that I'm normally happy with 320kbps mp3 CBR downloads. But spotify is not mp3 and I do not know if the premium is 320kbps (VBR? CBR?)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Quote from: Gordo on December 01, 2015, 06:01:20 AM
I was wondering if I'm deaf and I'm the only person here who thought this way. It's a relief to see at somebody else thinks the same.  :)

Didn't mean to give the impression that I thought Spotify sounds bad myself.  I've barely used it, so have not been able to form an impression of the sound quality.  I was just wondering how 320 kbps could sound so bad as reported by others.  Unless some other shenanigans were going on?

Wakefield

Quote from: Daverz on December 01, 2015, 04:55:01 PM
Didn't mean to give the impression that I thought Spotify sounds bad myself.  I've barely used it, so have not been able to form an impression of the sound quality.  I was just wondering how 320 kbps could sound so bad as reported by others.  Unless some other shenanigans were going on?

I'm sorry! I misunderstood you, but I thought your sentence "I wonder why spotify sounds so bad" was an assertion. Of course, it's my fault, what isn't unusual when I don't write in my mother tongue. :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SonicMan46

Quote from: Daverz on December 01, 2015, 04:55:01 PM

Well, I stream music to my BT speakers (in the den, basement, & portable on the road - none that expensive) usually via my iDevices directly, by Amazon, or by Spotify (on my son's Premium account) - all sound about the same to me, but not sure what my Spotify settings are?  Looking at the Spotify app on my iPad Air 2, the settings simply state 'automatic' - as to the need of 320 kbps, most of the MP3 music that I've put on CD-R was burned at 192 or 256 kbps - not to get into a 'serious' discussion, going much above those burn rates is debatable for 'portable' music - Dave :)

Wakefield

Just for the record: I compared Spotify to Apple Music back to back, using the same Internet connection and Premium accounts.

My subjective conclusion was that Apple Music sounds (much) better than Spotify.

In addition, I used my brother -who is a music fan and loyal to Spotify- as a witness and his conclusion was quite the same.

I don't have a clear idea about formats and compressions used by every streaming service because all of them are quite (and unexplainably) mysterious about these issues.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

psu

Spotify at 320Kbps is generally good, but I have heard some weird things in some recordings that do not happen in the other services.

There is a recording of the Mozart Requiem, for example, that sounds super weird in Spotify because there is some resonance that the choir triggers that affects Spotify's encoders differently than the other systems. So you hear a really strange beating distortion. It was the Karl Bohm recording on DG, and it's very noticeable on the first track, just as the male choir comes in.

Daverz

Quote from: psu on December 02, 2015, 12:33:28 PM
Spotify at 320Kbps is generally good, but I have heard some weird things in some recordings that do not happen in the other services.

There is a recording of the Mozart Requiem, for example, that sounds super weird in Spotify because there is some resonance that the choir triggers that affects Spotify's encoders differently than the other systems. So you hear a really strange beating distortion. It was the Karl Bohm recording on DG, and it's very noticeable on the first track, just as the male choir comes in.

Universal has been known to use an audible watermarking on recordings offered to streaming services.

psu

That might be true, but you don't hear it on Apple Music.

Daverz

Quote from: psu on December 02, 2015, 11:32:38 PM
That might be true, but you don't hear it on Apple Music.

But perhaps some kind of interaction between the watermarking and Spotify's compression algorithm.

7/4

Sad news. It's convenient to listen on my computer, even though I'm inside the broadcast range. I'll to dust off my rabbit ears and my receiver too!

https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/important-update-about-online-streaming

"As of January 1, 2016, WKCR is no longer able to provide online programming. We are in the process of reassessing our ability to stream online and will update you as soon as possible. We regret that we are unable to provide this service. WKCR will continue to broadcast on 89.9 FM and 89.9 HD 1 radio as we work towards a long-term solution.   Please address all further questions and concerns you may have to wkcrstreaming@gmail.com             -- The WKCR Board"

I guess suspend might be a better word, but I don't know the details.

7/4

zamyrabyrd

There's online classical streaming from a Swiss site but I forget where. Maybe someone here can enlighten.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Cato

Many classical stations offer online listening: the station in Dayton often has a nice mix, and on Sundays they offer some afternoon programs with 20th-century and contemporary composers, e.g. I have heard a show called Relevant Tones spend an hour on Boulez. 8)

Check the schedule and playlist.

http://www.discoverclassical.org/listen-live.asp
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

jochanaan

Now if someone could find out a way to discontinue online sCreaming...! :laugh:
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 7/4 on January 02, 2016, 12:09:25 PM
Wrong forum category, I can't move it!

No problem. Just for my edification, where is WKCR? :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Cato on January 03, 2016, 04:25:27 AM
Many classical stations offer online listening: the station in Dayton often has a nice mix, and on Sundays they offer some afternoon programs with 20th-century and contemporary composers, e.g. I have heard a show called Relevant Tones spend an hour on Boulez. 8)

This looks great! The classical radio station I listen to seems to have cut the new music program....a huge shame really. Many fantastic interviews, themed broadcasts and live performances in addition to the usual broadcasting of contemporary music recordings were what I stayed up late on Saturday night for every week when I was a kid. It's like they've taken away part of my childhood....  :(

Cato

Quote from: Cato on January 03, 2016, 04:25:27 AM

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on January 03, 2016, 08:18:45 PM
This looks great! The classical radio station I listen to seems to have cut the new music program....a huge shame really. Many fantastic interviews, themed broadcasts and live performances in addition to the usual broadcasting of contemporary music recordings were what I stayed up late on Saturday night for every week when I was a kid. It's like they've taken away part of my childhood....  :(

Too often a reality for ratings: the more challenging music is ditched in favor of more "polkas, schottishes, and waltzes." *  Happy listening to WDPR of Dayton!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

7/4

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 03, 2016, 04:44:30 PM
No problem. Just for my edification, where is WKCR? :)

8)

Columbia University
New York, New York

send email to board@wkcr.org

I just sent something, told them how valuable the streaming service is, mentioned that my late Father was Columbia alumni.

You can do it too. It's just email.

Todays NYTimes: Columbia's WKCR Goes Silent Online

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: 7/4 on January 08, 2016, 06:24:21 AM
Columbia University
New York, New York

send email to board@wkcr.org

I just sent something, told them how valuable the streaming service is, mentioned that my late Father was Columbia alumni.

You can do it too. It's just email.

Todays NYTimes: Columbia's WKCR Goes Silent Online

OK, did  it. Don't know if they will buy the part about my father, but it's worth a try... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)