Apparently audio cassette nostalgia is a thing (so buy my Nakamichi CR7-A)

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, December 29, 2016, 05:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

I read an article on the internet recently about this--so it must be true.  ::)

LPs, I can understand for many reasons (have been collecting them since 1990). Eight tracks--umm, well maybe--soo damn goofy maybe they are cool in some sort of way.

But cassettes??? Really? One of the worst media IMO.

I used a Nakamichi CR7-A for a few years to make tapes of my LPs. They actually sounded very, very good. In 2001, I bought a Pioneer CD-recorder, and the Nakamichi fell into disuse; it no longer works, but I suspect it is a fairly simple repair (if the parts exist).

Given that this was a $2000 item (I bought it used/mint condition for much less!) and was considered one of the best cassette decks in existence, I wonder whether anyone might be interested in it. I have never used Ebay before, but am tempted to list it. ANy ideas?? Anyone here want it?

More generally, is anyone here into cassettes? If so, why?

EDIT: Just checked Ebay, and one is listed (asking price) for $1200 LOL.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Rinaldo

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on December 29, 2016, 05:56:16 PMBut cassettes??? Really? One of the worst media IMO.

It's the DIY factor + the aftermath of the vaporwave craze. I'm not into cassettess myself but self-released tapes are fun and the lower sound quality can actually add a certain 'retro charm' to the whole thing. But mostly it's the package that matters. An artifact, just like a vinyl, but you can make a bunch of cassettes easily without busting the bank account. Smaller bands usually release a limited edition with custom artworks, sometimes hand-painted and therefore individual for each cassette.. a fad, for sure, but a nice and creative one, I think.

XB-70 Valkyrie

That is interesting. I did not know that. I assume then that there is a broad enough interest in the format to allow at least some manufacturers to stay in business supplying the necessary equipment and parts?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Herman

As I recall the fun part of cassettes was making special tapes for your friends and lovers.

Other than that it was crap medium.

I'll just say "spaghetti tape" and leave it at that.

Parsifal

Quote from: Herman on January 04, 2017, 09:36:25 AM
As I recall the fun part of cassettes was making special tapes for your friends and lovers.

Other than that it was crap medium.

I'll just say "spaghetti tape" and leave it at that.

Mix tapes have been replaced by play-lists.

I still have a Denon deck that I am amazed still works after more than 20 years in a box in the basement. I recently used it to transfer tapes of my own music to MP3 files.

Andante

I have about 200 - 300 cassette tapes and apart from 1 all are recordings from the radio, in dolby B, C and S, the audio from "S" eliminates background hiss, but the medium is so user unfriendly, all CDs are taken from a master tape unless I am too far behind the times.
One thing that I found useful was when I was practicing at home I could record one line of a duet then play back and play the other part along to it, kind of stopped things getting monotonous. I don't play tapes any more as my player is in need of a few adjustments.   
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.