Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on May 17, 2024, 08:21:45 PMSamara Joy: "Guess Who I Saw Today" — Just exquisite.

-Bruce
Hadn't heard that song before now nor heard of Samara Joy, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (No pun intended).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

brewski

Quote from: KevinP on May 18, 2024, 12:03:24 AMIt doesn't surpass Nancy Wilson's version for me, but that shouldn't be read as I think it's bad. It is a very good version.

(After this recording was released,
M any people have been commenting--not here--on Nancy Wilson's original,  incorrectly. It was Carmen McRae who first recorded it.)

Love both Wilson and McRae in this, too.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 18, 2024, 04:51:19 AMHadn't heard that song before now nor heard of Samara Joy, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (No pun intended).

PD

It's a great song. I only heard it for the first time maybe 3-4 years ago. (Or maybe before, and didn't quite get the gist of the plot.) I love the way the story unfolds — you can't quite tell where it's going — and then those final three words are like a gentle thunderbolt.

Anyway, as @KevinP notes, Carmen McRae was the first. Here's a good Japanese transfer of the 1957 recording, and it's lovely.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on May 18, 2024, 05:55:45 AMLove both Wilson and McRae in this, too.

It's a great song. I only heard it for the first time maybe 3-4 years ago. (Or maybe before, and didn't quite get the gist of the plot.) I love the way the story unfolds — you can't quite tell where it's going — and then those final three words are like a gentle thunderbolt.

Anyway, as @KevinP notes, Carmen McRae was the first. Here's a good Japanese transfer of the 1957 recording, and it's lovely.

-Bruce
How did you like the rest of the album (if you've heard it)?  And, darn, I was just in a record store earlier and didn't think to look under either of their names!   ::)  Though I did find something else.   8)

PD

p.s.  And now I'm craving a martini....
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

brewski

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 18, 2024, 08:49:17 AMHow did you like the rest of the album (if you've heard it)?  And, darn, I was just in a record store earlier and didn't think to look under either of their names!   ::)  Though I did find something else.   8)

PD

p.s.  And now I'm craving a martini....

I haven't heard all of the albums by any of these! (My bad.) Will certainly fix that, but I was just obsessed by that one song for the moment.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on May 18, 2024, 07:32:36 PMI haven't heard all of the albums by any of these! (My bad.) Will certainly fix that, but I was just obsessed by that one song for the moment.

-Bruce
It's a great song, so I do get it.
PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

I just compared Mr. Tambourine Man from the Byrds MFSL album and the original CD and to my surprise the MFSL sounded much worse. It wasn't close.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Having fun listening to and watching a concert of David Byrne and St. Vincent.  Great concert and complete with a brass band.  :) @Todd Probably right up your alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRTQV2Te59Q

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

KevinP

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 18, 2024, 05:57:18 PM

Otis Rush was great, but I always felt he never hooked up with the right producer. A lot of fair to good recordings, but he never quite had that all-out classic.

The one here may be his best. I might prefer his tracks on Chicago/The Blues/Today, but that doesn't count as a Rush album.

The Honeyboy Edwards album is good, but he suffered from being known more for association with Robert Johnson than for his own music. (Ditto Robert Lockwood jr and Johnny Shines. Shines especially should have been better known for his own talent. One of the greatest voices of the genre.)

steve ridgway

R. Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra :laugh:  :'(

KevinP

Quote from: brewski on May 17, 2024, 08:21:45 PMSamara Joy: "Guess Who I Saw Today" — Just exquisite.

-Bruce

Although I commented on this already, I didn't watch the video as I have the CD. I just watched it now, and it definitely added to my enjoyment of the recording.

drogulus

I loaded some SACD files up to my Google drive. Most modern AVRs will play them, and there are plugins for common media players on computers. Alternatively you can reencode to whatever you can play. High bitrate reencodes are going to sound the same.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UXwM9fci9B78Y92OY8w-H2fFWK6_UtVu?usp=sharing
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

AnotherSpin

A fine example of Holger Czukay's early post-Can output.

AnotherSpin

The only AMM release on ECM. Unusual in that Rowe and Prévost literally play their instruments.

SimonNZ

Long loved this unique mix of blues guitar and singing with dixieland jazz backing.

For the first time checked out who these Jim McHarg's Metro Stompers were, expecting to finf a group of long-time New Orleans session musicians or first-line regulars. They turn out to be a group of youngish Canadians. Fooled me.

I also learn for the first time that they changed the cover for the cd and the original lp is something I would have avoided to my loss:

followed by:

AnotherSpin

I'm Here - Short Stay - Sachiko M

Sachiko Matsubara, better known by her artist name Sachiko M performs music that can be categorised as any genre, or not categorised as music at all. One could draw a distant analogy to John Cage, La Monte Young or AMM. A set of noises, indistinguishable from an aural background, in which silences or pauses can be as important as sounds.

drogulus

I fixed the sharing link for my drive in case anyone wants to grab something.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UXwM9fci9B78Y92OY8w-H2fFWK6_UtVu?usp=sharing

If you've no way to play SACD files you can reencode them to wav or flac with dBpoweramp.