Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Überstürzter Neumann

Quote from: Leo K. on January 13, 2014, 02:40:10 PM
Indeed, Skrowaczewski's cycle is fantastic so far! Great sound quality too. Aces!
Couldn't agree more. I am a recent Bruckner-convert myself, and this is my absolute favourite.  Annoyingly I don't seem to find anything wrong with it...
Quote from: jlaurson on January 14, 2014, 06:05:40 AM

A Survey of Bruckner Cycles

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-survey-of-bruckner-cycles.html

Updated to include the Profil catch-all box & new Tintner box.
Thanks a lot for the link, sir. That is a great site - kudos for your good work!
Das Schicksal hört noch nicht auf mich zu verfolgen!

Willow Pattern

Leo K.

The 1887, original version of Bruckner's 8 is becoming my favorite version of this work. I'm currently studying the recording by Simone Young and hope to get Tintner's account soon.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Leo K. on January 21, 2014, 09:24:17 AM
The 1887, original version of Bruckner's 8 is becoming my favorite version of this work. I'm currently studying the recording by Simone Young and hope to get Tintner's account soon.

I listened to its entirety not too long ago and it is something special, Leo. I'm starting to feel the same way about the 8th as I am his 3rd, that the original composition was just fine and didn't necessarily require all the revisions. I listened to both Young and Tintner on Spotify, both very well done, interesting contrast between the two with Young preferring a speedier read-through. I ended up however ordering the Tintner, which does have inferior sound quality to the Young, but I love the rich drama that Tintner draws.

Also, Nagano's recording of the original 4th has me praising the first edition of that as well.

Karl Henning

The BSO played the Ninth magnificently under Christoph Eschenbach's direction this Saturday past.  He's made my wife and mom-in-law Bruckner fans, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Leo K.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 21, 2014, 09:48:56 AM
I listened to its entirety not too long ago and it is something special, Leo. I'm starting to feel the same way about the 8th as I am his 3rd, that the original composition was just fine and didn't necessarily require all the revisions. I listened to both Young and Tintner on Spotify, both very well done, interesting contrast between the two with Young preferring a speedier read-through. I ended up however ordering the Tintner, which does have inferior sound quality to the Young, but I love the rich drama that Tintner draws.

Also, Nagano's recording of the original 4th has me praising the first edition of that as well.

Thanks for the comment, I didn't realize that the Tintner was on Spotify too! I'll check it there before I buy. I definitely agree about Tintner's recording of the B3, it made me prefer the original score too.

Leo K.

Quote from: karlhenning on January 21, 2014, 09:59:17 AM
The BSO played the Ninth magnificently under Christoph Eschenbach's direction this Saturday past.  He's made my wife and mom-in-law Bruckner fans, too.

I have a broadcast recording of Eschenbach conducting the B9, I don't have the info with me but I recall the performance was VERY fine.

TheGSMoeller

Tintner's 1887 version of the 8th...
Tintner takes the Adagio to 31 mins, it's long, but it's very majestic and powerful, beautifully performed too. I have to say that I find the original 1887 version's Scherzo to be more engaging than its following versions. Also, I love the finale's coda from the 1887. Interesting to compare Tintner's 3:14 min coda to Simone Young's 2:05 min coda.

Leo K.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 21, 2014, 05:15:27 PM
Tintner's 1887 version of the 8th...
Tintner takes the Adagio to 31 mins, it's long, but it's very majestic and powerful, beautifully performed too. I have to say that I find the original 1887 version's Scherzo to be more engaging than its following versions. Also, I love the finale's coda from the 1887. Interesting to compare Tintner's 3:14 min coda to Simone Young's 2:05 min coda.

That long Adagio sounds appealing! I can't till next month when I'll get Tintner's account. I've been paying extra attention to the 1887 Finale (Young's account) and it's so moving and powerful.

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on January 21, 2014, 09:59:17 AM

We welcome all to Bruckner, even if they start at the end of the symphonies!  ;)

Concerning unrevised (i.e. un-second-and-third-guessed) versions of the symphonies, I remain something of a hybrid.  With the Fourth, no, I will take the later version.  With the Third, I believe the original might now be replacing the Leopold Nowak in my preference.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Jochum on DG? Or Jochum on EMI (now Warner Classics)??

Which performances are preferred?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 22, 2014, 04:21:55 PM

I have only a single recording of Jochum/DG - the 8th - and pitted against the EMI 8th (I own whole cycle) the EMI comes out on top. Dunno if there's a shred of value in offering this, but...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 22, 2014, 04:34:56 PM
Dunno if there's a shred of value in offering this, but...

Absolutely there is, thanks DD8)

Cato

DGG, although... Why "either/or" ?  Why not "both/and" ?   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Cato on January 22, 2014, 05:47:07 PM
DGG, although... Why "either/or" ?  Why not "both/and" ?   0:)

My wallet would appreciate the "either/or", but that has never stopped me!  ;D

Thanks, Cato.

Brian

Looking at Tintner albums, I found one of the more memorable Amazon reviews I've ever seen, apparently co-written with a disapproving cat.

trung224

Apart from a complete cycle 1956-1958, Jochum recorded several individual Bruckner's symphonies for DGG. Good as the stereo remakes are, the mono ones are even more flexible and blazing.
[asin]B000001GXM[/asin]
[asin]B00006L76U[/asin]

jlaurson

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 22, 2014, 06:08:53 PM
My wallet would appreciate the "either/or", but that has never stopped me!  ;D

Thanks, Cato.

Same answer here.

"DG... but". (Both can be had cheaply these days.)

Also agreed on the very fine mono BRSO Jochum-Bruckner!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on January 22, 2014, 02:03:40 PM
We welcome all to Bruckner, even if they start at the end of the symphonies!  ;)

That was my path, too!  I picked up the Giulini/Chicago box (for, as it seemed at the time, other things), and lo! I heard the Ninth in all its effulgence!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Both Greg.  I enjoy both immensely.  Jochum is definitely my Bruckner conductor.  :)