Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1020598 times)

bluemooze and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #37840 on: April 15, 2021, 03:36:14 AM »
Bartók

Contrasts for violin,clarinet and piano

Skalkottas
Octet
Eight variations on a Greek Folk Theme

Khachaturian
trio fot clarinet,violin and piano

Prokofiev
Overture on Hebrew Themes

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #37841 on: April 15, 2021, 03:38:58 AM »

I fully agree with you Fergus   :)

Cheers Jan. Here is another one that I like:

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Mackerras]

The Mackerras version is also a robust version and the Prague Chamber has a wonderful voice. The presentation is very full sounding throughout. With the exception of the slow movement Mackerras takes the tempo quite quickly but not aggressively so. I like the somewhat warm sound of this one.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #37842 on: April 15, 2021, 04:01:29 AM »
The Stürmisch Schubertiade continues this AM with AFAIC one of Franz's Greatest Hits:  his Impromptus.  Some of these have gone on to have illustrious careers in the cinema.  Among 'em, citing just two of my all-time favorites films:  Impromptu #2 in Patrice Leconte's L'homme du train which Jean Rochefort plays more than once on his grand piano.  And Impromptus Nos. 1 and 3 appear in Michael Haneke's Amour.

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #37843 on: April 15, 2021, 04:01:42 AM »
Joseph Lauber.

Symphony No `1 & 2.

Sinfonie Orchester Biel-Solothurn, Kaspar Zehnder.

A discovery of a new composer is always adventure, and in this case its a major discovery for me. He is such a creative guy, blending all styles and influences together in a unique context. I have by now played it several times and it gets better every time. The performance is certainly very good, and a direct and alert recording tops it all.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Artem

« Reply #37844 on: April 15, 2021, 04:21:27 AM »
Beautiful playing and sound.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #37845 on: April 15, 2021, 04:21:55 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uArAPIjmeJs&amp;ab_channel=AmsterdamBaroque" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uArAPIjmeJs&amp;ab_channel=AmsterdamBaroque</a>
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #37846 on: April 15, 2021, 04:22:34 AM »
Trying some Dutilleux - Symphony No.1

Olivier

Offline pjme

• Veteran member
« Reply #37847 on: April 15, 2021, 04:32:33 AM »

A wonderfull voice: Margaret Marshall in Vivaldi!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #37848 on: April 15, 2021, 04:40:38 AM »

A wonderfull voice: Margaret Marshall in Vivaldi!

That whole 10-CD series is a treasure trove.
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #37849 on: April 15, 2021, 04:41:09 AM »
Gorgeous. You and Ludwig van make good partners.

Sarge

Thank you!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #37850 on: April 15, 2021, 04:44:03 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uArAPIjmeJs&amp;ab_channel=AmsterdamBaroque" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uArAPIjmeJs&amp;ab_channel=AmsterdamBaroque</a>

Is it Double Dutch to you or  can you follow it a bit?  :)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #37851 on: April 15, 2021, 05:11:44 AM »
Is it Double Dutch to you or  can you follow it a bit?  :)

Subtitles in English. I was keen to see it because I've met people who know him and they all say the same thing: a lovely person. I've only seen him once, in the 1980s, in a free Bach concert in the Amsterdam Nieuwe Kerk -- Brandenburgs -- very cool, the audience was young and cool. Will I ever go to Holland again  for a concert?  . . . .  In a mask!  >:(
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Cesar Franck, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
« Reply #37852 on: April 15, 2021, 05:18:51 AM »
NP:

Strauss
Don Quixote, Op. 35
Paul Tortelier, cello
Staatskapelle Dresden
Kempe

From this set:

How many discs are in this set, John?  I have the EMI boxset of Strauss/Kempe orchestral works (9 discs) - the deep green box set.  This set somehow looks bigger?  I've seen other reissues of what I have (Warner Classics), but not in this form?

I'm curious as to what this box set includes?  I can't seem to find the exact one like yours when searching.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #37853 on: April 15, 2021, 05:33:33 AM »
Great choice!

Yeah, it’s a good one, Jeffrey. 8)
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #37854 on: April 15, 2021, 05:42:53 AM »
Nino Rota.
Cello Concertos 1 & 2.
Il Gattopardo.

Philharmonisches Orchester, Augsburg, Dirk Kaftan.
Friedrich Kleinhapl, Cello.

Beautifully composed Cello concertos, and as a dessert Il Gattopardo, a dreamy piece, a tiny work of art so to say.
It is well performed and recorded.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #37855 on: April 15, 2021, 05:45:53 AM »
Subtitles in English. I was keen to see it because I've met people who know him and they all say the same thing: a lovely person. I've only seen him once, in the 1980s, in a free Bach concert in the Amsterdam Nieuwe Kerk -- Brandenburgs -- very cool, the audience was young and cool. Will I ever go to Holland again  for a concert?  . . . .  In a mask!  >:(

He sure is,a friend of mine was a student of his for a while,  unfortunately the pub life was more interesting to him at that time and so it happened that Ton Koopman traveled to him to get him out of bed.  :D

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #37856 on: April 15, 2021, 05:50:41 AM »
Yeah, it’s a good one, Jeffrey. 8)

When Järvi's Prokofiev is good, it's very good.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #37857 on: April 15, 2021, 05:54:37 AM »
Messiaen

Starting to listening to these recordings of Cataloque D'Oiseaux

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #37858 on: April 15, 2021, 06:41:14 AM »
How many discs are in this set, John?  I have the EMI boxset of Strauss/Kempe orchestral works (9 discs) - the deep green box set.  This set somehow looks bigger?  I've seen other reissues of what I have (Warner Classics), but not in this form?

I'm curious as to what this box set includes?  I can't seem to find the exact one like yours when searching.

This hybrid SACD box set, which is a Tower Records exclusive in conjunction with Warner Classics, has been completely remastered. If I’m not mistaken, the remastering was done by a well-known Japanese mastering engineer. Like the older green set, it’s 9 discs, so there aren’t any new performances added as you have the same content in the EMI set. But the difference here is the fidelity, which, to these ears, blows away all iterations of this box set. Also, the cardboard outer box and each ’set’ within the box are made of a cardboard material that is hard as a rock. I’m not joking...I don’t know what the material is they used, but I love it.

Here’s the set on Tower Records Japan website:

https://tower.jp/item/5135342/R-シュトラウス:-管弦楽作品全集(シリアルナンバー無再発盤)<タワーレコード限定>

I owned the green set (gifted it to my dad), but I still own this set, which sounds fantastic as well:

My reasoning for purchasing this Tower Records/Warner set is because I had previously bought the Sibelius symphony set with Berglund conducting Bournemouth and I was so floored by the fidelity and presentation of the set that I had to get my hands on the Strauss set. It was rather expensive (both sets), but it was worth every penny, IMHO.

The Berglund/Bournemouth Tower Records set:

Edit:

You may want to consider getting the newly reissued Kempe set from Warner that uses the original LP artwork (w/ some alterations I’m sure to the actual content of each disc). I hear that the remastering in this set is top-drawer.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:51:42 AM by Mirror Image »
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Cesar Franck, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
« Reply #37859 on: April 15, 2021, 07:00:07 AM »
This hybrid SACD box set, which is a Tower Records exclusive in conjunction with Warner Classics, has been completely remastered. If I’m not mistaken, the remastering was done by a well-known Japanese mastering engineer. Like the older green set, it’s 9 discs, so there aren’t any new performances added as you have the same content in the EMI set. But the difference here is the fidelity, which, to these ears, blows away all iterations of this box set. Also, the cardboard outer box and each ’set’ within the box are made of a cardboard material that is hard as a rock. I’m not joking...I don’t know what the material is they used, but I love it.

Here’s the set on Tower Records Japan website:

https://tower.jp/item/5135342/R-シュトラウス:-管弦楽作品全集(シリアルナンバー無再発盤)<タワーレコード限定>

I owned the green set (gifted it to my dad), but I still own this set, which sounds fantastic as well:

My reasoning for purchasing this Tower Records/Warner set is because I had previously bought the Sibelius symphony set with Berglund conducting Bournemouth and I was so floored by the fidelity and presentation of the set that I had to get my hands on the Strauss set. It was rather expensive (both sets), but it was worth every penny, IMHO.

The Berglund/Bournemouth Tower Records set:

Edit:

You may want to consider getting the newly reissued Kempe set from Warner that uses the original LP artwork (w/ some alterations I’m sure to the actual content of each disc). I hear that the remastering in this set is top-drawer.

That's great John.  Thanks very much for that detailed explanation.  It really helped clarify things for me.