What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 12, 2021, 09:19:57 AM
To keep company with Ray:

Nielsen
Symphony № 2, « De fire Temperamenter » Op. 16, FS 29
Janáček Phil
Kuchar

Very nice!  8)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2021, 08:11:47 AM
First-Listen Wednesday

Scriabin
Fantasie in B minor, Op. 28
Lettberg

Great set. I was playing some of the discs in the box yesterday.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 12, 2021, 09:37:04 AM
Great set. I was playing some of the discs in the box yesterday.

It really is --- impeccable pianist and audio quality in this set.

Thread duty -

Shchedrin
Carmen-Suite
Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra
Rozhdestvensky

Wanderer

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2021, 08:11:47 AM
First-Listen Wednesday

Scriabin
Lettberg

Scriabin's Fantaisie is a great favourite, a dark cataclysm of awesomeness. I like to follow it with the Fourth Sonata (they were composed during the same period) - I find they work quite well together, almost forming an imaginary tripartite work. Lettberg is good, but Hamelin is truly torrential.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wanderer on May 12, 2021, 10:21:51 AM
Scriabin's Fantaisie is a great favourite, a dark cataclysm of awesomeness. I like to follow it with the Fourth Sonata (they were composed during the same period) - I find they work quite well together, almost forming an imaginary tripartite work. Lettberg is good, but Hamelin is truly torrential.

I'm not the biggest fan of Hamelin and Lettberg sounds great to my ears. Interesting about your coupling this work with the 4th sonata. I might have to try that at some point.

Wanderer

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 12, 2021, 05:08:22 AM
A first listen to any mass by Haydn.

Haydn - Nelsonmesse (Hickox, Collegium Musicum 90)

Excellent! Go for the Harmoniemesse next. The other masses are also well worth exploring (count all the awesome tunes in their "Dona nobis pacem" movements!).

Wanderer

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2021, 10:23:59 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of Hamelin and Lettberg sounds great to my ears. Interesting about your coupling this work with the 4th sonata. I might have to try that at some point.

It's the first and only time you listened to the work, of course she sounds bloody great to your ears. 😁
I've been listening to every version there is for years. Hamelin is awesome in this. And don't worry, nobody compels you to listen, these comments are not addressed to you in particular.  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wanderer on May 12, 2021, 10:44:16 AM
It's the first and only time you listened to the work, of course she sounds bloody great to your ears. 😁
I've been listening to every version there is for years. Hamelin is awesome in this. And don't worry, nobody compels you to listen, these comments are not addressed to you in particular.  ;)

I'm about to listen to the Richter performance I have in the Scriabin Complete set on Decca. 8) Oh and Lettberg would sound great to me if this was my 1,000 time listening to this work. She's a remarkable pianist and I love her Scriabin.

Mirror Image

NP:

Scriabin
Richter

From this set -

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Papy Oli

Quote from: Wanderer on May 12, 2021, 10:28:19 AM
Excellent! Go for the Harmoniemesse next. The other masses are also well worth exploring (count all the awesome tunes in their "Dona nobis pacem" movements!).

thank you for the recommendation, I'll look it up.
Olivier

JBS

The fourth and last CD of the set

The Creston is a worthwhile fully neo-Romantic work with more than enough fancy fingerwork for the soloist, and makes getting this set (otherwise a bunch of warhorses in 1950s sound) very much worth getting. The performance was the world premiere with the LA Philharmonic conducted by Solti in 1960.

There seems to be one other commercial recording, issued by Albany in 2005.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

NP:

Strauss
Die Frau Ohne Schatten - Symphonic Suite
Bamberg SO
Rickenbacher

Mirror Image

Selections from this glorious box set:

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
Pf Cto № 25 in C, K.503

Mendelsohn
Vn Cto in e minor, Op. 64
Isaac Stern, vn
Israel Phil
Lenny, conductor & pf
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 12, 2021, 03:55:25 PM
"Wolferl"
Pf Cto № 25 in C, K.503

Mendelsohn
Vn Cto in e minor, Op. 64
Isaac Stern, vn
Israel Phil
Lenny, conductor & pf

Mildly surprised to reflect that the K.622 is absent from this box. It is unthinkable to me, that it was not recorded with Stanley Drucker (born 4 Feb 1929). Perhaps, in assembling the box, Sony considered that all the rage is for the piece retro-fitted for basset clarinet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

NP:

Bruckner
Symphony No. 8 In C Minor, WAB 108
Wiener Philharmoniker
Boulez

A magnifient performance. It's too bad Boulez didn't record all of the later symphonies.

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 12, 2021, 04:33:11 PM
Mildly surprised to reflect that the K.622 is absent from this box. It is unthinkable to me, that it was not recorded with Stanley Drucker (born 4 Feb 1929). Perhaps, in assembling the box, Sony considered that all the rage is for the piece retro-fitted for basset clarinet.

According to this discography, he only recorded it once, for DG.
https://www.leonardbernstein.com/discography?title=&composer=Mozart%2C+Wolfgang+Amadeus&performer=&category=discography&start_year=&end_year=

TD

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Alek Hidell

Quote from: "Harry" on May 12, 2021, 08:53:35 AM
Juan Crisostomo de Arriaga.

The String Quartets, 1-3.

Guarneri Quartet.

This beautiful recording from 1995 is a pearl in the crown of Philips. They are still my favourites if it comes to the SQ by Arriaga. The ease and flow of the Guarneri's does not have its equal, at least for me. I bought this recording in 1995, and I still as much impressed as I was when I put this disc for the first time in my player. Not on authentic instruments, but hugely musical and committed. I love it!
First the artwork of the original release, which I have, and then the later re-release

I see you discussing music you've been listening to, Harry - does this mean your sound system problem has been solved?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA