What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Nielsen: Flute Concerto [Langevin/Gilbert]

I like this concerto. I like the naratory and conversational nature of it. I also like the orchestration in the work. I find it to be very imaginative, engaging, sometimes lean but always engaging and exciting.

aligreto

SimonNZ

Symphonic Addict

Schumann: Symphony No. 4

Majestic and quite romantic performance of this beautiful work. It's much more memorable than I recalled. I'd never heard it as splendid as now.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 23, 2021, 03:55:09 PM
Schumann: Symphony No. 4

Majestic and quite romantic performance of this beautiful work. It's much more memorable than I recalled. I'd never heard it as splendid as now.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Do you know the classic set with George Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra ?

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 23, 2021, 04:43:53 PM

I find the juxtaposition of these images interesting.

But we know the blue-eyed guy doesn't pay attention to aligreto's post with cover image too frequently.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Cato on October 23, 2021, 04:08:21 PM

I know the 2nd, and holy c..., this pacing and absolute elegance and control of the orchestra astounded me.  I get now why he is considered the best among the best, if not the best?

Noam Chomsky

Cato

Quote from: Cato on October 23, 2021, 04:08:21 PM

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 23, 2021, 05:05:09 PM
I know the 2nd, and holy c..., this pacing and absolute elegance and control of the orchestra astounded me.  I get now why he is considered the best among the best, if not the best?

The story of The Cleveland Orchestra in the 1960's is fascinating: they were not paid very much, most had part-time jobs outside of the orchestra (one player sold jewelry), and yet they were a world-class orchestra under Szell.

The set of the Schumann symphonies from those days is difficult to beat!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Cato on October 23, 2021, 05:59:39 PM
The story of The Cleveland Orchestra in the 1960's is fascinating: they were not paid very much, most had part-time jobs outside of the orchestra (one player sold jewelry), and yet they were a world-class orchestra under Szell.

The set of the Schumann symphonies from those days is difficult to beat!

Fascinating story. Wow, more recognition for them then!!

I definitely need to give the other symphonies a listen from that set.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Walton: Symphony No. 1
Bizet: Symphony in C

Exhilarating stuff!

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

(discs 1-3 of 5)

(disc 3, harpsichord and chamber music incl. the interesting Sonata for trombone and piano)

SimonNZ

Found at the secondhand store today still factory sealed, misfiled in the jazz section, and with an absurdly low price on it.

Just finished disc one, and what a great listen that was. Nothing controversial in his interpretation or technique, but with such great taste and enjoyment. I especially liked how he completely avoids the approach of so many of playing the preludes fast and light and the fugues slow and ponderous, keeping something closer to a consistency throughout than I've heard perhaps anywhere else, including his earlier Decca set.

May well finish off the next three discs tonight.

Madiel

Trying to stream all of this today.

Not currently succeeding with suite no.4 because my phone decided it didn't want to connect to my CD player. So watching an episode of a Danish drama instead. I'll come back later...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mookalafalas

The George Bolet disk. Playing it twice in a row

It's all good...

milk

aligreto

Morales: Missa Pro Defunctis [McCreesh]

This Requiem Mass is a large scale work. It is suitably solemn and is appropriately delivered here in terms of both tone and atmosphere. The polyphony is well rounded, balanced and delivered here by this vocal ensemble. The presentation has an authentic sound and feel to it.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Shostakovich - Symphonies No.1 & 2 (Barshai)

Olivier

Mandryka

The Sujet Diversitez from Marais 1er livre - which is more like a set of variations in English music than anything French or Italian. Very nicely played here by Joubert-Caillet I think, introspective and colourful.

It's followed by a suitably tragic rendition of the tombeau for M. Meliton.

There's no sense of the sort of routine you often feel in complete surveys like this, at least not yet in Bk 1.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen