What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on May 14, 2024, 08:12:56 AMThe more I listen to him, the more I become convinced that he is the equal of Shostakovich and Prokofiev and I think as time goes on his music will receive more and more recognition.

These are the kinds of statements that have Weinberg on my to-do list.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 14, 2024, 08:12:56 AMThe more I listen to him, the more I become convinced that he is the equal of Shostakovich and Prokofiev and I think as time goes on his music will receive more and more recognition.
That assessment is in no way hyperbolic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

prémont

Quote from: Skogwald on May 13, 2024, 08:30:56 PM

Beautiful, amazing, incredible

This was my initial experience with Froberger's keyboard compositions fifty years ago. Initially, Leonhardt seemed ascetic and austere to me, but over time, the artistic value of the recording has become apparent, and since long I have recognized his pioneering importance.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Jo498

Haydn, "Emperor" quartet, op.76/3 Carmina Quartet (Denon 1993/95)
I had found the Carmina a bit dry last year when revisiting the 2nd disc, esp. the elusive #6 but they are very good in this one.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 5 in B Flat Major, 1878 Version Ed. Leopold Nowak, Franz Konwitschny, Gewandhousorcheter 'Leipzig

JBS

A Presto package landed today.
First into the CD player

Humoresque
The Rock
Three Divertissements
Lamia
Koong Shee

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

brewski

This time of year, the Curtis Institute of Music livestreams many graduation recitals, so I'm dipping into this one by Elias Ackerly. Loving the Scriabin, which I haven't heard by anyone in awhile.

Beethoven: Sonata No. 6 in F Major, Op. 10, No. 2
Rachmaninoff: Variations on a Theme of Corelli, Op. 42
Scriabin: Sonata No. 4 in F# Major, Op. 30
Beethoven: Sonata No. 31 in Ab Major, Op. 110
Liszt: "Après une lecture du Dante," from Années de pèlerinage, 2e année

Encore
Alfred Grünfeld: Soirée de Vienne, Revised F. H. Schneider

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2024, 01:55:39 AMWalter Kaufmann: Piano Concerto No.3
I found an inexpensive second-hand copy of this CD following Daverz's enthusiasm for it.
A most enjoyable discovery

cpo is well represented on Apple Music, but they have failed to make this one available, for some reason.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Linz

Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 13, Symphony No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 13, Eugene Ormandy

Karl Henning

A first listen:

Nikolai Myaskovsky
Piano Sonata № 1 in d minor, Op. 6 (1907)
Murray MacLachlan
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Skogwald

Quote from: prémont on May 14, 2024, 09:37:48 AMThis was my initial experience with Froberger's keyboard compositions fifty years ago. Initially, Leonhardt seemed ascetic and austere to me, but over time, the artistic value of the recording has become apparent, and since long I have recognized his pioneering importance.

I've heard Froberger's music before but this was the recording that really got me into it. Maybe it helps that I have gotten to be quite a fan of Leonhardt's aristocratic style already.

Anyone who doesn't know Froberger, think Bach's keyboard works but more abstract and emotional!

Iota

Tabakova: Concerto for Cello and Strings
Kristina Blaumane (cello), Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra, Maxim Rysanov

Undeniably lovely, plenty of driving energy and a satisfyingly risoluto rounding off. Only twenty minutes long, well worth a listen.

prémont

Quote from: Skogwald on May 14, 2024, 11:45:46 AMAnyone who doesn't know Froberger, think Bach's keyboard works but more abstract and emotional!

I had to listen to many different recordings of Frobergers keyboard music before I really got into it.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

JBS

Concertos 6 and 8 use a tangent piano for the solo part. Concerto 7 uses a fortepiano, a tangent piano, and a harpsichord as the concertante instruments. As well as differentiating the solo parts, it seems to reflect the limited availability of keyboard instruments other than harpsichord in Salzburg in the late 1770s.
The cover image is a portion of Paul Klee's Senecio, painted in 1922.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Walton: Symphony No.2

A superb rendition by Previn and his LSO in their pomp. Urgent with a strong base line makes this Walton 2 sound more propulsive and dynamic. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Sulkhan Tsintsadze: Fantasia for Piano and Orchestra. USSR State SO/Alexander Gauk.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 8 in C Minor, 1890 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, Bruckner Orchester Linz, Kurt Eichhorn

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on May 14, 2024, 01:24:58 PMWalton: Symphony No.2

A superb rendition by Previn and his LSO in their pomp. Urgent with a strong base line makes this Walton 2 sound more propulsive and dynamic. 

Previn was in his element with Walton.

Another potent performance of the 2nd in great sound is this:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

Symphonic Addict

Widor: Organ Symphonies 3 and 4

Completely majestic music. Refreshing my ears with these imposing works has been a neat idea. I wasn't keen on soft organ music till I heard these pieces. The slow movements of these symphonies are proving to be utterly beautiful.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky